• Last Logged In: 23 minutes ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Trouble with Windows 8
    It was my pleasure. You are right though. Grub is normally installed in the MBR. However, it can be installed within a partition. I started doing this when I developed a habit of installing multiple linux systems on my computers. If I got tired of one I removed it. I ran into a problem of my system not booting because the bootloader of the OS that I removed was removed from the MBR as well. So, I started installing Grub in partitions. Yet, normally, you would put grub in the MBR. You learn quick and the above commands you posted were the commands I have forgotten to add. Good job on your research. I will be looking forward for that beer ;-))
    Link to this post 19 hours ago

It was my pleasure. You are right though. Grub is normally installed in the MBR. However, it can be installed within a partition. I started doing this when I developed a habit of installing multiple linux systems on my computers. If I got tired of one I removed it. I ran into a problem of my system not booting because the bootloader of the OS that I removed was removed from the MBR as well. So, I started installing Grub in partitions. Yet, normally, you would put grub in the MBR.

You learn quick and the above commands you posted were the commands I have forgotten to add. Good job on your research. I will be looking forward for that beer ;-))

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Trouble with Windows 8
    It sounds like you overwritten the grub boot loader. All you have to do it reinstall it. If you did not install windows 8.1 under UEFI then the fix should be a simple reinstallation of the grub bootloader. If you have your mint 16 install disk, insert it, boot from it, change root into the partition that has mint 16 installed: [code]#sudo chroot [/code] Then install grub. [code]#sudo grub-install[/code] Grub will be installed to the current partition. Once installation has completed, update the grub bootloader. [code]#sudo update-grub[/code] Then reboot your system and you should both mint and windows 8.1 listed in the grub boot menu. These instructions should help you in more details. [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing[/url]
    Link to this post 2 days ago

It sounds like you overwritten the grub boot loader. All you have to do it reinstall it. If you did not install windows 8.1 under UEFI then the fix should be a simple reinstallation of the grub bootloader. If you have your mint 16 install disk, insert it, boot from it, change root into the partition that has mint 16 installed:

#sudo chroot <path of mint 16 partition>

Then install grub.

#sudo grub-install

Grub will be installed to the current partition. Once installation has completed, update the grub bootloader.

#sudo update-grub

Then reboot your system and you should both mint and windows 8.1 listed in the grub boot menu.

These instructions should help you in more details.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Email/PIM Application
    I'll be there with you guys. Discussions and debates like this is how we learn.

I'll be there with you guys. Discussions and debates like this is how we learn.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Avast! Anti Virus for Linux, kind of cool.
    And there you have it. Any questions? Try not to use words like [color=red]"daft, dumb and plain stupid"[/color] as these words can have an offensive effect on the readers. [b]"Careless"[/b] is less offensive yet stern for importance. Firefox is also a good secure browser to use. Not as fast of chrome but still solid.

And there you have it. Any questions?

Try not to use words like "daft, dumb and plain stupid" as these words can have an offensive effect on the readers. "Careless" is less offensive yet stern for importance.

Firefox is also a good secure browser to use. Not as fast of chrome but still solid.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    Thanks for your expertise Hugenoot. This bit of information is a step in the right direction to helping end-users better understand personal computer security. I have learned a few things my self ;-)

Thanks for your expertise Hugenoot. This bit of information is a step in the right direction to helping end-users better understand personal computer security. I have learned a few things my self ;-)

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    Let me be the first to admit to not following protocol. If anyone expresses a subject [b]NOT[/b] related to the original title of a thread, please post in the "off topic" section of this forum.
    Link to this post 3 days ago

Let me be the first to admit to not following protocol. If anyone expresses a subject NOT related to the original title of a thread, please post in the "off topic" section of this forum.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    "get the facts about cloud computing - it is a pipe dream that will be impractical for another decade at the very least." Firstly, Cloud computing is not a pipe dream, it is real and being heavily deployed. Second, that blog you linked to is not a reputable source. There is no evidence of the writer having any expertise in any field except what they claim in the article. The writer was not stating that cloud computing was bad, or a delusion, but that this service is not accessible to all, which I do believe. You don't have to use cloud computing, it is another option of data transmission. Everyone has their reasons for using it. I am just stating mines. I have never been more happier.

"get the facts about cloud computing - it is a pipe dream that will be impractical for another decade at the very least."

Firstly, Cloud computing is not a pipe dream, it is real and being heavily deployed. Second, that blog you linked to is not a reputable source. There is no evidence of the writer having any expertise in any field except what they claim in the article.

The writer was not stating that cloud computing was bad, or a delusion, but that this service is not accessible to all, which I do believe.

You don't have to use cloud computing, it is another option of data transmission. Everyone has their reasons for using it. I am just stating mines. I have never been more happier.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    Having you around will be useful. If I understand you correctly, there really isn't a reliable virus scanner to detect all possible viruses on a computer. You have mentioned that you have used "Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner" to test a windows installation. Are they capable of detecting every known threat that can compromise a Windows computer. Instead you had to manually remove such threats by digging deep into the core of the system and the registry. How did you remove them? It is sound that just because an AV did not detect a threat, does not mean there isn't one. Does not matter how many AVs you run, you still won't get them all. My question is, are those non-removeable threats really threats?

Having you around will be useful.

If I understand you correctly, there really isn't a reliable virus scanner to detect all possible viruses on a computer. You have mentioned that you have used "Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner" to test a windows installation. Are they capable of detecting every known threat that can compromise a Windows computer.

Instead you had to manually remove such threats by digging deep into the core of the system and the registry. How did you remove them?

It is sound that just because an AV did not detect a threat, does not mean there isn't one. Does not matter how many AVs you run, you still won't get them all. My question is, are those non-removeable threats really threats?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Taking the Linux turn-off became the Mint Highway
    My mistake. You did post this thread under "off Topic" "small talk". Please accept my apologies.

My mistake. You did post this thread under "off Topic" "small talk". Please accept my apologies.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Taking the Linux turn-off became the Mint Highway
    "As a typical male, taking things apart to see how things work, is natural. More than once, I had nuts & bolts left and found myself screwed. There was only one way and that was to take things apart again and start over. With no manuals around or, rather not knowing about man pages, I waded swamps in pitch darkness." I like your selections of words. I do enjoy taking things apart. In the beginning, there was dark, then Linux said, "let there be open source".

"As a typical male, taking things apart to see how things work, is natural. More than once, I had nuts & bolts left and found myself screwed. There was only one way and that was to take things apart again and start over. With no manuals around or, rather not knowing about man pages, I waded swamps in pitch darkness."

I like your selections of words. I do enjoy taking things apart. In the beginning, there was dark, then Linux said, "let there be open source".

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board