Istimsak Abdulbasir

• Last Logged In: 45 minutes ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Avast! Anti Virus for Linux, kind of cool.
    Thanks for your expertise Hugenoot. This bit of information is a step in the right direction to helping end-users better understand personal computer security. I have learned a few things my self ;-)
    Link to this post 45 minutes ago

Thanks for your expertise Hugenoot. This bit of information is a step in the right direction to helping end-users better understand personal computer security. I have learned a few things my self ;-)

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Email/PIM Application
    Let me be the first to admit to not following protocol. If anyone expresses a subject [b]NOT[/b] related to the original title of a thread, please post in the "off topic" section of this forum.
    Link to this post 7 hours ago

Let me be the first to admit to not following protocol. If anyone expresses a subject NOT related to the original title of a thread, please post in the "off topic" section of this forum.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    "get the facts about cloud computing - it is a pipe dream that will be impractical for another decade at the very least." Firstly, Cloud computing is not a pipe dream, it is real and being heavily deployed. Second, that blog you linked to is not a reputable source. There is no evidence of the writer having any expertise in any field except what they claim in the article. The writer was not stating that cloud computing was bad, or a delusion, but that this service is not accessible to all, which I do believe. You don't have to use cloud computing, it is another option of data transmission. Everyone has their reasons for using it. I am just stating mines. I have never been more happier.
    Link to this post 8 hours ago

"get the facts about cloud computing - it is a pipe dream that will be impractical for another decade at the very least."

Firstly, Cloud computing is not a pipe dream, it is real and being heavily deployed. Second, that blog you linked to is not a reputable source. There is no evidence of the writer having any expertise in any field except what they claim in the article.

The writer was not stating that cloud computing was bad, or a delusion, but that this service is not accessible to all, which I do believe.

You don't have to use cloud computing, it is another option of data transmission. Everyone has their reasons for using it. I am just stating mines. I have never been more happier.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    Having you around will be useful. If I understand you correctly, there really isn't a reliable virus scanner to detect all possible viruses on a computer. You have mentioned that you have used "Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner" to test a windows installation. Are they capable of detecting every known threat that can compromise a Windows computer. Instead you had to manually remove such threats by digging deep into the core of the system and the registry. How did you remove them? It is sound that just because an AV did not detect a threat, does not mean there isn't one. Does not matter how many AVs you run, you still won't get them all. My question is, are those non-removeable threats really threats?
    Link to this post 8 hours ago

Having you around will be useful.

If I understand you correctly, there really isn't a reliable virus scanner to detect all possible viruses on a computer. You have mentioned that you have used "Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner" to test a windows installation. Are they capable of detecting every known threat that can compromise a Windows computer.

Instead you had to manually remove such threats by digging deep into the core of the system and the registry. How did you remove them?

It is sound that just because an AV did not detect a threat, does not mean there isn't one. Does not matter how many AVs you run, you still won't get them all. My question is, are those non-removeable threats really threats?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Taking the Linux turn-off became the Mint Highway
    My mistake. You did post this thread under "off Topic" "small talk". Please accept my apologies.
    Link to this post 9 hours ago

My mistake. You did post this thread under "off Topic" "small talk". Please accept my apologies.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Taking the Linux turn-off became the Mint Highway
    "As a typical male, taking things apart to see how things work, is natural. More than once, I had nuts & bolts left and found myself screwed. There was only one way and that was to take things apart again and start over. With no manuals around or, rather not knowing about man pages, I waded swamps in pitch darkness." I like your selections of words. I do enjoy taking things apart. In the beginning, there was dark, then Linux said, "let there be open source".
    Link to this post 15 hours ago

"As a typical male, taking things apart to see how things work, is natural. More than once, I had nuts & bolts left and found myself screwed. There was only one way and that was to take things apart again and start over. With no manuals around or, rather not knowing about man pages, I waded swamps in pitch darkness."

I like your selections of words. I do enjoy taking things apart. In the beginning, there was dark, then Linux said, "let there be open source".

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    You are in my G+ circle as well. Though I missed your expertise, as well as Matt's on this forum. Hugenoot must have a gift in reviving things ;-)
    Link to this post 15 hours ago

You are in my G+ circle as well. Though I missed your expertise, as well as Matt's on this forum. Hugenoot must have a gift in reviving things ;-)

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    I have used and trusted avast on windows and now on Macs. Since I have been using it, never encountered a virus. Never needed antivirus for Linux. The only serious threats that I have heard was the shellshock and the heartbleed threat. That does not mean Linux is untouchable. It means it knows how a system can be compromised. That being said, there is no such thing as too much security. I don't like taking chances. Use what you believe helps. Learn from Linux about how to be a responsible systems operator.
    Link to this post 19 hours ago

I have used and trusted avast on windows and now on Macs. Since I have been using it, never encountered a virus.

Never needed antivirus for Linux. The only serious threats that I have heard was the shellshock and the heartbleed threat. That does not mean Linux is untouchable. It means it knows how a system can be compromised.

That being said, there is no such thing as too much security. I don't like taking chances. Use what you believe helps. Learn from Linux about how to be a responsible systems operator.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    It has been a while since I have seen a post from you Eric. How are things with you? I was trying to open up that link to posted through the chrome browser on my windows phone 8.1. The link did not open. One of the benefits of cloud computing is any-place-accessible-storage. The only real problem is dishonest operators and weak security. Rule of thumb, don't store sensitive data in the cloud. When it comes to backup, the process is much more manageable. We talk about cloud all day. I am just glad to hear from you again.
    Link to this post 20 hours ago

It has been a while since I have seen a post from you Eric. How are things with you?

I was trying to open up that link to posted through the chrome browser on my windows phone 8.1. The link did not open.

One of the benefits of cloud computing is any-place-accessible-storage. The only real problem is dishonest operators and weak security. Rule of thumb, don't store sensitive data in the cloud. When it comes to backup, the process is much more manageable.

We talk about cloud all day. I am just glad to hear from you again.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Bootable DVD and Switchign to Linux Help
    Linux is not for everyone, that I do know. Don't always believe the hype. Use it and make your own decision. Glad you were able to burn Zorin.
    Link to this post 20 hours ago

Linux is not for everyone, that I do know. Don't always believe the hype. Use it and make your own decision.

Glad you were able to burn Zorin.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board