Istimsak Abdulbasir

• Last Logged In: 39 minutes ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Can anyone tell me what this error means?
    I like questions like this. I hope someone who is more an expert in program debugging can jump in and help. Did some research, and, it appears that this pointer "0x09ea9fa8" is pointing to something that cannot be used. It could be memory, or, a location to some other function that the system can't access. Here is some explanation of dynamically linked libraries: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_linker]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_linker[/url] Someone experienced a similar issue: [url=http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20297524/c-free-invalid-pointer]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20297524/c-free-invalid-pointer[/url] Here, a person was told of a debugger they could use to process this error: [url=http://stackoverflow.com/questions/151268/how-to-force-abort-on-glibc-detected-free-invalid-pointer]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/151268/how-to-force-abort-on-glibc-detected-free-invalid-pointer[/url] Here is my educational guess. The dynamically linked library "glibc" is being used on this program ./bf1945_Inxded that has this header, munmap_chunk() that is using a bad pointer to either memory or another function. More than likely, it is pointing to a memory location that should not be used. You have to find what that pointer is and fix it. Try using the debug tool to debug it. [url=http://valgrind.org/]http://valgrind.org/[/url]
    Link to this post 40 minutes ago

I like questions like this. I hope someone who is more an expert in program debugging can jump in and help.

Did some research, and, it appears that this pointer "0x09ea9fa8" is pointing to something that cannot be used. It could be memory, or, a location to some other function that the system can't access.

Here is some explanation of dynamically linked libraries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_linker

Someone experienced a similar issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20297524/c-free-invalid-pointer

Here, a person was told of a debugger they could use to process this error:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/151268/how-to-force-abort-on-glibc-detected-free-invalid-pointer

Here is my educational guess. The dynamically linked library "glibc" is being used on this program ./bf1945_Inxded that has this header, munmap_chunk() that is using a bad pointer to either memory or another function. More than likely, it is pointing to a memory location that should not be used.

You have to find what that pointer is and fix it. Try using the debug tool to debug it.
    http://valgrind.org/

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Have WordPress (or Apache) read a link in a file and use it as a link on a page?
    You are hosting your own wordpress blog located on a web server made using apache, I think? Or, you have a website (wordpress), or a website sitting on a web server (apache)? You have an API that you implement in the the blog or website that fetches a link to a file. That file can be downloaded. There is another link in that file that changes automatically. You want that link applied to your blog which updates itself automatically. This is how I am interpreting your question. I could be wrong. The title of this post says, pull a link from a file that has another link and embed that link in your site. Again, I could be wrong. I am sure there is a script that you can use within HTML to perform this kind of action. I here javascript is in constant use. First we need to be clear on what you are asking.
    Link to this post 2 hours ago

You are hosting your own wordpress blog located on a web server made using apache, I think?

Or, you have a website (wordpress), or a website sitting on a web server (apache)?

You have an API that you implement in the the blog or website that fetches a link to a file.

That file can be downloaded. There is another link in that file that changes automatically. You want that link applied to your blog which updates itself automatically. This is how I am interpreting your question. I could be wrong.

The title of this post says, pull a link from a file that has another link and embed that link in your site. Again, I could be wrong.

I am sure there is a script that you can use within HTML to perform this kind of action. I here javascript is in constant use. First we need to be clear on what you are asking.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Changing the OS to make a new one?
    @Zethnos Linux is cool to use. What makes it cool to me is how modular it is. There is little restrictions on what you can add and remove. It goes beyond changing only the background wallpaper and color theme. You are molding a system to your own. Power really is in the user's hand. The real power of linux is in development. When you are free to do with your system as you please, you begin thinking what new products the world has yet to see. Machines don't drive computing, software does. If you learn to develop software, the possibilities of what linux can do are almost endless. However, as with all things, everything has its place. If you are trying to make Linux friendly for windows applications, you would be better to stick with windows. Windows, MacOSX and any other closed-sourced systems must release the source-code to their software for FOSS(free open source software). Otherwise you will have to build from scratch a whole new program. Look into developing APIs. This, my friend, is the bridge to all. Linux is a growing interest in gaming and game development. Personally, an OS gaining desktop value through gaming is a weak argument. The objective of a desktop is productivity. That is how you rate it. Want EXTREME gaming? Buy a game console. However, the PC gaming industry has now listed Linux as a platform for game compatibility. A PC is a personal computer. Since "PC" is a broad term, it has to include PC based OSes. The market for game developmnet on linux is wide open. They will need more people like you. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves.
    Link to this post 4 hours ago

@Zethnos

Linux is cool to use. What makes it cool to me is how modular it is. There is little restrictions on what you can add and remove. It goes beyond changing only the background wallpaper and color theme. You are molding a system to your own. Power really is in the user's hand.

The real power of linux is in development. When you are free to do with your system as you please, you begin thinking what new products the world has yet to see. Machines don't drive computing, software does. If you learn to develop software, the possibilities of what linux can do are almost endless. However, as with all things, everything has its place. If you are trying to make Linux friendly for windows applications, you would be better to stick with windows. Windows, MacOSX and any other closed-sourced systems must release the source-code to their software for FOSS(free open source software). Otherwise you will have to build from scratch a whole new program. Look into developing APIs. This, my friend, is the bridge to all.

Linux is a growing interest in gaming and game development. Personally, an OS gaining desktop value through gaming is a weak argument. The objective of a desktop is productivity. That is how you rate it. Want EXTREME gaming? Buy a game console.

However, the PC gaming industry has now listed Linux as a platform for game compatibility. A PC is a personal computer. Since "PC" is a broad term, it has to include PC based OSes. The market for game developmnet on linux is wide open. They will need more people like you.

I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Linux version best for Mobile App server
    [quote="Kaveek"]Greetings I am very new to Linux and would like to know the following: a. Which Linux version will work best as a server for a Mobile App sitting in the cloud and why so? b. I have been advised to utilize MongoDB as it is open source as well and easily expandable. In your opinion was this a wise decision? Any advise or tips would be highly appreciated. Regards, Kaveek[/quote] When you say server for a mobile app, did you envision a server hosting the mobile app and will allows others to download the app directly from the server? Or, the server will data collected by the mobile app? This is an interesting question and I would like to learn more about it.
    Link to this post 2 days ago

Kaveek said:

Greetings

I am very new to Linux and would like to know the following:

a. Which Linux version will work best as a server for a Mobile App sitting in the cloud and why so?

b. I have been advised to utilize MongoDB as it is open source as well and easily expandable. In your opinion was this a wise decision?

Any advise or tips would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Kaveek

When you say server for a mobile app, did you envision a server hosting the mobile app and will allows others to download the app directly from the server? Or, the server will data collected by the mobile app? This is an interesting question and I would like to learn more about it.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Linux version best for Mobile App server
    [quote="Akdom"]Hi Kaveek, I'm no big expert, but I would suggest you CentOS or Debian since they are pretty good for a server. Look them up on the internet. They are both kind-of lightweight, intuitive and easy to use. And they both have a great community and are still maintained on regular basis. Both OS are widely used, so you won't hit a wall if you have a problem and most of VPS provider offer them along other OS flavour. Debian is also concervative in their packages version, so you won't get all the latest cool and amazing features for each of your packages, but you are sure they will work and they are (almost :) ) flawless. I personally use Debian on all my servers. You may want to ask more specific questions to the ServerFault awesome community concerning server-specific questions if you need help to set up your server (they won't do it for you but they can guide you). Concerning MangoDB, I tried MangoDB for a week or so, but I personally prefer MariaDB with the TokuDB engine. It is open source, it is an active project, it is way better than MySQL in many ways, and it's fast (with some tweaks, it can fly!). TokuDB offer on-the-fly compression (among many other benefits) which I looooove. Those are just quick tips, you may want to look on those respective websites or search more information about them on the internet. [/quote] Don't forget to also give the user links to the sites that you are suggesting. The sites you have in mind might work but without links, the user could get lost.

Akdom said:

Hi Kaveek,

I'm no big expert, but I would suggest you CentOS or Debian since they are pretty good for a server. Look them up on the internet. They are both kind-of lightweight, intuitive and easy to use. And they both have a great community and are still maintained on regular basis. Both OS are widely used, so you won't hit a wall if you have a problem and most of VPS provider offer them along other OS flavour. Debian is also concervative in their packages version, so you won't get all the latest cool and amazing features for each of your packages, but you are sure they will work and they are (almost :) ) flawless.

I personally use Debian on all my servers.

You may want to ask more specific questions to the ServerFault awesome community concerning server-specific questions if you need help to set up your server (they won't do it for you but they can guide you).

Concerning MangoDB, I tried MangoDB for a week or so, but I personally prefer MariaDB with the TokuDB engine. It is open source, it is an active project, it is way better than MySQL in many ways, and it's fast (with some tweaks, it can fly!). TokuDB offer on-the-fly compression (among many other benefits) which I looooove.

Those are just quick tips, you may want to look on those respective websites or search more information about them on the internet.

Don't forget to also give the user links to the sites that you are suggesting. The sites you have in mind might work but without links, the user could get lost.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Changing the OS to make a new one?
    [quote="Zethnos"]Hey guys. For some time now I have had (what I think are) a few great ideas for my own OS. I asked some of my friends that do computer programing if they could help me, but they all said that it is too much work that I should just look at linux. I took their advice and did some googling and found out I can take linux and make my own OS from it. I have a problem though. I am not a computer programer by any means. I am a graphic designer. My coding knowledge is limited to HTML and CSS coding for websites and such. I mean I can probably sit down and try to learn programing code in my free time, but that would take a long long time, and I am not looking to going back to school for it because I am scared I would just end up failing the classes. (I am 19 years old by the way.) Do any of you know where I might be able to find someone willing to help me as just a side project? or is there maybe some software that can do code editing and I just tell the program what I want the OS to do? Most of my ideas are User Interface based. I can do all of the graphics and everything for the OS I just need help with coding it to do things. I was also thinking I might want to do a tablet or phone OS to start with if it would be easier to make. I don't really know anything about linux or where to start, I was just told it would be best to start here instead of making one from scratch. Can you guys recommend any youtube videos that can teach me all about the OS itself and what all it can/can't do? I heard that it has a lot of short comings compaired to other operating systems. or is it just as good as windows and apple? Sorry about the long post and all the questions, I am just really interested in having my own OS and using linux to help. One last thing, is there a way to code it so I can run Windows programs without using WINE or Crossover? Thank you for reading and for any advice you can give me![/quote] Before you pursue creating your own OS, there are some things to consider 1) Do you see a problem that this new OS will fix? 2) Can you allocate the required time needed to learn its programming structure? 3) Is there another Linux distro that functions towards your liking? 4) Can you build and manage your own packages and can you get help when needed? 5) what package format will you be using and what package management program will be in place (very important) 6) Would it be better to contribute to a current GNU/Linux project and negotiate your changes there? Definitely research question 1. You don't want to recreate an already ongoing project and start a project that does not have a market. Share your ideas first with other linux users and developers. Their feedback will tell you if you have something. Because you are not familiar with linux, first step will be to learn it. Put it on a desktop,or server, and hack it. Learn as much as you can. Linux is good for development but may not be good for you. First learn to drive the car before learning how to fix it. You must also be willing to learn a lot of programming. Creating a new OS is no easy task. If you are not sure about your abilities, then you will stop before you get started. Here is a good site that gives an overview about forking a Linux OS. [url=http://www.fotiskoutoulakis.com/distro-forking-101/]http://www.fotiskoutoulakis.com/distro-forking-101/[/url] This will give you an idea of is required to perform this process. Then browse this site to start learning linux. [url=http://www.linux.com/learn/new-user-guides]http://www.linux.com/learn/new-user-guides[/url] You can also have a look at this site to get you started. [url=http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html]http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html[/url]

Zethnos said:

Hey guys. For some time now I have had (what I think are) a few great ideas for my own OS. I asked some of my friends that do computer programing if they could help me, but they all said that it is too much work that I should just look at linux. I took their advice and did some googling and found out I can take linux and make my own OS from it.

I have a problem though. I am not a computer programer by any means. I am a graphic designer. My coding knowledge is limited to HTML and CSS coding for websites and such. I mean I can probably sit down and try to learn programing code in my free time, but that would take a long long time, and I am not looking to going back to school for it because I am scared I would just end up failing the classes. (I am 19 years old by the way.)

Do any of you know where I might be able to find someone willing to help me as just a side project? or is there maybe some software that can do code editing and I just tell the program what I want the OS to do? Most of my ideas are User Interface based. I can do all of the graphics and everything for the OS I just need help with coding it to do things.

I was also thinking I might want to do a tablet or phone OS to start with if it would be easier to make. I don't really know anything about linux or where to start, I was just told it would be best to start here instead of making one from scratch. Can you guys recommend any youtube videos that can teach me all about the OS itself and what all it can/can't do? I heard that it has a lot of short comings compaired to other operating systems. or is it just as good as windows and apple?

Sorry about the long post and all the questions, I am just really interested in having my own OS and using linux to help. One last thing, is there a way to code it so I can run Windows programs without using WINE or Crossover?

Thank you for reading and for any advice you can give me!

Before you pursue creating your own OS, there are some things to consider
    1) Do you see a problem that this new OS will fix?
    2) Can you allocate the required time needed to learn its programming structure?
    3) Is there another Linux distro that functions towards your liking?
    4) Can you build and manage your own packages and can you get help when needed?
    5) what package format will you be using and what package management program will be in place (very important)
    6) Would it be better to contribute to a current GNU/Linux project and negotiate your changes there?

Definitely research question 1. You don't want to recreate an already ongoing project and start a project that does not have a market. Share your ideas first with other linux users and developers. Their feedback will tell you if you have something.

Because you are not familiar with linux, first step will be to learn it. Put it on a desktop,or server, and hack it. Learn as much as you can. Linux is good for development but may not be good for you. First learn to drive the car before learning how to fix it.

You must also be willing to learn a lot of programming. Creating a new OS is no easy task. If you are not sure about your abilities, then you will stop before you get started.

Here is a good site that gives an overview about forking a Linux OS.
    http://www.fotiskoutoulakis.com/distro-forking-101/

This will give you an idea of is required to perform this process.

Then browse this site to start learning linux.
    http://www.linux.com/learn/new-user-guides

You can also have a look at this site to get you started.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Youtube instantly crashes my system. Mint 17 / Cinnamon with Chromium.
    You might want to read this post as well. [url=https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en]https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en[/url]
    Link to this post 3 days ago

You might want to read this post as well.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Youtube instantly crashes my system. Mint 17 / Cinnamon with Chromium.
    [quote="Guiphil"]No flashplugins in Chrome/plugins. I read that I had to do sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree or sudo dpkg-reconfigure pepperflashplugin-nonfree but these commands don't do anything. I searched but ran out of solutions.[/quote] The title of this post indicates that you are using the chromium browser. You can view flash content in this browser if you use the pepperflashplugin that adobe developed that the google-chrome browser now uses. I have read that in order for chromium to use pepper flash, the plugin must be extracted form google chrome [url=http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/chromium-npapi-flash-dropped-april-2014]http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/chromium-npapi-flash-dropped-april-2014[/url]. I also read that you can install pepperflash from ubuntu's trusty repositories [url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/449103/chromium-34-and-later-cannot-detect-flash-plugin]http://askubuntu.com/questions/449103/chromium-34-and-later-cannot-detect-flash-plugin[/url] You are using mint 17 which is based on ubuntu 14.04 trusty. They are both using the same repositories. What you can install on ubuntu you can install on mint, mostly. I am using google chrome on my mint 17 system which comes with flash enabled. I installed chromium and installed pepperflash by downloading it from my system's repositories #sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree To check that pepperflash was enabled in chromium, in the address bar, type chrome:plugins. Pepperflash was not enabled by default. After I clicked allow always, I was able to view youtube videos. Check to make sure chromium is using pepperflash by following the instructions in the above links. You can always stick with firefox.
    Link to this post 3 days ago

Guiphil said:

No flashplugins in Chrome/plugins.
    I read that I had to do sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
    or
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure pepperflashplugin-nonfree
    but these commands don't do anything.

I searched but ran out of solutions.

The title of this post indicates that you are using the chromium browser. You can view flash content in this browser if you use the pepperflashplugin that adobe developed that the google-chrome browser now uses.

I have read that in order for chromium to use pepper flash, the plugin must be extracted form google chrome http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/chromium-npapi-flash-dropped-april-2014.

I also read that you can install pepperflash from ubuntu's trusty repositories http://askubuntu.com/questions/449103/chromium-34-and-later-cannot-detect-flash-plugin

You are using mint 17 which is based on ubuntu 14.04 trusty. They are both using the same repositories. What you can install on ubuntu you can install on mint, mostly.

I am using google chrome on my mint 17 system which comes with flash enabled. I installed chromium and installed pepperflash by downloading it from my system's repositories

#sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree

To check that pepperflash was enabled in chromium, in the address bar, type chrome:plugins. Pepperflash was not enabled by default. After I clicked allow always, I was able to view youtube videos.

Check to make sure chromium is using pepperflash by following the instructions in the above links. You can always stick with firefox.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Dual Boot of Windows 7 and Linux (Debian 7 or Centos 7)
    As for booting windows and Ubuntu on a UEFI system, I found some articles that not only teaches you what UEFI is and why it was developed but also how to dualboot windows and linux on such a system. There a few steps you have to take. Take your time and read it. UEFI is the new computer bios that boots up your computer and hands over the remaining boot process your operating system. Your operating system must be able to communicate with the new UEFI or EFI. Using an OS that is not UEFI compatible, one must disable UEFI or Secure Boot. If you have an OS installed under UEFI, you have to use UEFI. None UEFI systems must be installed using legacy bios. That means you have to manually enable and disable UEFI from your system's bios to boot your system. That may be the reason whay you were not seeing windows and ubuntu under the same boot menu. If you are going to use UEFI, then both OSes must be install using UEFI. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface[/url] [url=http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx]http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx[/url] [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS[/url] I would suggest you image your harddrive just in case something major goes wrong. You can always reverse the issue. Some programs that will help with disk imaging using linux. [url=http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/linux-based-disk-cloning-imaging-software/]http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/linux-based-disk-cloning-imaging-software/[/url] For imaging and backup using windows, have a look at this site. [url=http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/]http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/[/url] hope this helps.
    Link to this post 4 days ago

As for booting windows and Ubuntu on a UEFI system, I found some articles that not only teaches you what UEFI is and why it was developed but also how to dualboot windows and linux on such a system. There a few steps you have to take. Take your time and read it.

UEFI is the new computer bios that boots up your computer and hands over the remaining boot process your operating system. Your operating system must be able to communicate with the new UEFI or EFI. Using an OS that is not UEFI compatible, one must disable UEFI or Secure Boot.

If you have an OS installed under UEFI, you have to use UEFI. None UEFI systems must be installed using legacy bios. That means you have to manually enable and disable UEFI from your system's bios to boot your system.

That may be the reason whay you were not seeing windows and ubuntu under the same boot menu. If you are going to use UEFI, then both OSes must be install using UEFI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS

I would suggest you image your harddrive just in case something major goes wrong. You can always reverse the issue.

Some programs that will help with disk imaging using linux.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/linux-based-disk-cloning-imaging-software/

For imaging and backup using windows, have a look at this site.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

hope this helps.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Dual Boot of Windows 7 and Linux (Debian 7 or Centos 7)
    There are two programs you can use to detect the hardware under Linux, lspci and lshw. Here is an example of [b]lshw[/b] #sudo lshw description: Notebook product: HP 2000 Notebook PC (D1E80UA#ABA) vendor: Hewlett-Packard version: 0888110003305910000620100 serial: 5CG3330Q3Y width: 32 bits capabilities: smbios-2.7 dmi-2.7 smp-1.4 smp configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook cpus=1 family=103C_5335KV G=N L=CON B=HP S=PRE X=MIN sku=D1E80UA#ABA uuid=82D751CA-5D47-1C95-0696-E68369F7D050 *-core description: Motherboard product: 188B vendor: Hewlett-Packard physical id: 0 version: KBC Version 69.17 serial: PCVAA00WE5B9GK slot: Base Board Chassis Location *-firmware description: BIOS vendor: Insyde physical id: 0 version: F.33 date: 05/13/2013 size: 128KiB capacity: 4032KiB capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppynec int13floppytoshiba int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int9keyboard int10video acpi usb uefi *-memory description: System Memory physical id: 23 slot: System board or motherboard size: 4GiB *-bank:0 description: DIMM [empty] product: Empty vendor: Empty physical id: 0 serial: Empty slot: Bottom-Slot 1(top) *-bank:1 description: SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns) product: 8KTF51264HZ-1G6E1 vendor: Micron Technology physical id: 1 serial: E37B0A86 slot: Bottom-Slot 2(under) size: 4GiB width: 64 bits clock: 800MHz (1.2ns) *-cpu description: CPU product: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] physical id: 2d bus info: cpu@0 version: 15.2.0 serial: NotSupport slot: Socket FT1 size: 1114MHz capacity: 1300MHz width: 64 bits clock: 100MHz capabilities: x86-64 boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor ssse3 cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch ibs skinit wdt arat hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter cpufreq configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=2 *-cache:0 description: L1 cache physical id: 2e slot: L1 Cache size: 64KiB capacity: 128KiB clock: 1GHz (1.0ns) capabilities: pipeline-burst internal write-back unified *-cache:1 description: L2 cache physical id: 2f slot: L2 Cache size: 512KiB capacity: 1MiB clock: 1GHz (1.0ns) capabilities: pipeline-burst internal write-back unified *-pci:0 description: Host bridge product: Family 14h Processor Root Complex vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 100 bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz configuration: latency=32 *-display description: VGA compatible controller product: Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310] vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] physical id: 1 bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=radeon latency=0 resources: irq:44 memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:3000(size=256) memory:f0400000-f043ffff *-multimedia:0 description: Audio device product: Wrestler HDMI Audio vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] physical id: 1.1 bus info: pci@0000:00:01.1 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0 resources: irq:45 memory:f0444000-f0447fff *-pci:0 description: PCI bridge product: Family 14h Processor Root Port vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 7 bus info: pci@0000:00:07.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht normal_decode bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=pcieport resources: irq:40 ioport:1000(size=4096) memory:f0500000-f06fffff ioport:f0700000(size=2097152) *-storage description: SATA controller product: FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 11 bus info: pci@0000:00:11.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: storage msi ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=ahci latency=64 resources: irq:42 ioport:3118(size=8) ioport:3124(size=4) ioport:3110(size=8) ioport:3120(size=4) ioport:3100(size=16) memory:f044c000-f044c7ff *-usb:0 description: USB controller product: FCH USB OHCI Controller vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 12 bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0 version: 11 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: ohci bus_master configuration: driver=ohci-pci latency=32 resources: irq:18 memory:f044b000-f044bfff *-usb:1 description: USB controller product: FCH USB EHCI Controller vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 12.2 bus info: pci@0000:00:12.2 version: 11 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=ehci-pci latency=32 resources: irq:17 memory:f044a000-f044a0ff *-usb:2 description: USB controller product: FCH USB OHCI Controller vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 13 bus info: pci@0000:00:13.0 version: 11 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: ohci bus_master configuration: driver=ohci-pci latency=32 resources: irq:18 memory:f0449000-f0449fff *-usb:3 description: USB controller product: FCH USB EHCI Controller vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 13.2 bus info: pci@0000:00:13.2 version: 11 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=ehci-pci latency=32 resources: irq:17 memory:f0448000-f04480ff *-serial UNCLAIMED description: SMBus product: FCH SMBus Controller vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 14 bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0 version: 14 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz configuration: latency=0 *-multimedia:1 description: Audio device product: FCH Azalia Controller vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 14.2 bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2 version: 01 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=32 resources: irq:16 memory:f0440000-f0443fff *-isa description: ISA bridge product: FCH LPC Bridge vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 14.3 bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3 version: 11 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: isa bus_master configuration: latency=0 *-pci:1 description: PCI bridge product: FCH PCI Bridge vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 14.4 bus info: pci@0000:00:14.4 version: 40 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master *-pci:2 description: PCI bridge product: Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0) vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 15 bus info: pci@0000:00:15.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht normal_decode bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=pcieport resources: irq:16 ioport:2000(size=4096) memory:f0300000-f03fffff ioport:f0000000(size=1048576) *-network description: Ethernet interface product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0 logical name: eth0 version: 05 serial: f0:92:1c:59:d9:be size: 10Mbit/s capacity: 100Mbit/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s resources: irq:43 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0004000-f0004fff memory:f0000000-f0003fff *-pci:3 description: PCI bridge product: Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1) vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 15.1 bus info: pci@0000:00:15.1 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht normal_decode bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=pcieport resources: irq:16 memory:f0200000-f02fffff ioport:f0900000(size=1048576) *-network description: Wireless interface product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Qualcomm Atheros physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0 logical name: wlan0 version: 01 serial: 48:d2:24:57:a0:b5 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.13.0-24-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.107 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn resources: irq:17 memory:f0200000-f027ffff memory:f0900000-f090ffff *-pci:4 description: PCI bridge product: Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2) vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 15.2 bus info: pci@0000:00:15.2 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht normal_decode bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=pcieport resources: irq:16 memory:f0100000-f01fffff *-generic description: Unassigned class product: RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0 version: 01 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=rtsx_pci latency=0 resources: irq:41 memory:f0100000-f0100fff *-pci:1 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 101 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.0 version: 43 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-pci:2 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 102 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.1 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-pci:3 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 103 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.2 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-pci:4 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 104 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.3 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz configuration: driver=k10temp resources: irq:0 *-pci:5 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 105 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.4 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-pci:6 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 106 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.5 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-pci:7 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 107 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.6 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-pci:8 description: Host bridge product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] physical id: 108 bus info: pci@0000:00:18.7 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz *-scsi:0 physical id: 1 logical name: scsi0 capabilities: emulated *-disk description: ATA Disk product: HGST HTS545032A7 physical id: 0.0.0 bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0 logical name: /dev/sda version: GGBO serial: TE841348104N4A size: 298GiB (320GB) capabilities: gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt configuration: ansiversion=5 guid=709aa96f-f9cd-490b-b569-d945f6d525d8 sectorsize=4096 *-volume:0 description: Linux swap volume vendor: Linux physical id: 1 bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1 logical name: /dev/sda1 version: 1 serial: b121c238-7d9d-477a-bc45-42007a97ceac size: 3813MiB capacity: 3813MiB capabilities: nofs swap initialized configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4095 *-volume:1 description: EXT4 volume vendor: Linux physical id: 2 bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2 logical name: /dev/sda2 logical name: / version: 1.0 serial: 7ed92cda-ecbc-4415-b074-feb509662efc size: 97GiB capacity: 97GiB capabilities: journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized configuration: created=2014-08-31 22:38:50 filesystem=ext4 label=linuxmint1404 lastmountpoint=/ modified=2014-11-23 17:02:02 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered mounted=2014-11-23 17:02:02 name=Linuxmint state=mounted *-volume:2 description: EXT4 volume vendor: Linux physical id: 4 bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,4 logical name: /dev/sda4 version: 1.0 serial: ded58174-483c-4fd5-a358-fe801534ef6c size: 93GiB capabilities: boot journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized configuration: created=2014-05-10 12:51:19 filesystem=ext4 label=debianmobileroot lastmountpoint=/mnt modified=2014-11-22 21:24:44 mounted=2014-11-22 21:24:44 name=debianmobilerootdrive state=clean *-volume:3 description: data partition vendor: Linux physical id: 6 bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,6 logical name: /dev/sda6 version: 1.0 serial: 473113bc-7d01-423d-940e-79e2949cebd9 size: 55GiB capabilities: large_files ext2 initialized configuration: filesystem=ext2 modified=2014-11-22 23:52:49 mounted=2014-11-18 10:54:44 name=6 state=clean *-scsi:1 physical id: 2 logical name: scsi1 capabilities: emulated *-cdrom description: DVD-RAM writer product: DVDRAM GT80N vendor: hp physical id: 0.0.0 bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0 logical name: /dev/cdrom logical name: /dev/sr0 version: R102 capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc *-battery description: Lithium Ion Battery product: MU06047 vendor: 11-85 physical id: 1 slot: Primary capacity: 47520mWh configuration: voltage=10.8V I would use lshw if you have it. When using lspci, use it with the -v option after it. I prefer lshw because of the information it collects. Very helpful. Both commands complement each other. Linux comes with manual pages for most of the programs installed, especially for commandline programs. #man lspci #man lshw
    Link to this post 5 days ago

There are two programs you can use to detect the hardware under Linux, lspci and lshw.
    Here is an example of lshw
    #sudo lshw
    description: Notebook
    product: HP 2000 Notebook PC (D1E80UA#ABA)
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    version: 0888110003305910000620100
    serial: 5CG3330Q3Y
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.7 dmi-2.7 smp-1.4 smp
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook cpus=1 family=103C_5335KV G=N L=CON B=HP S=PRE X=MIN sku=D1E80UA#ABA uuid=82D751CA-5D47-1C95-0696-E68369F7D050
    *-core
    description: Motherboard
    product: 188B
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    physical id: 0
    version: KBC Version 69.17
    serial: PCVAA00WE5B9GK
    slot: Base Board Chassis Location
    *-firmware
    description: BIOS
    vendor: Insyde
    version: F.33
    date: 05/13/2013
    size: 128KiB
    capacity: 4032KiB
    capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppynec int13floppytoshiba int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int9keyboard int10video acpi usb uefi
    *-memory
    description: System Memory
    physical id: 23
    slot: System board or motherboard
    size: 4GiB
    *-bank:0
    description: DIMM [empty]
    product: Empty
    vendor: Empty
    serial: Empty
    slot: Bottom-Slot 1(top)
    *-bank:1
    description: SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
    product: 8KTF51264HZ-1G6E1
    vendor: Micron Technology
    physical id: 1
    serial: E37B0A86
    slot: Bottom-Slot 2(under)
    size: 4GiB
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 800MHz (1.2ns)
    *-cpu
    description: CPU
    product: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
    physical id: 2d
    bus info: cpu@0
    version: 15.2.0
    serial: NotSupport
    slot: Socket FT1
    size: 1114MHz
    capacity: 1300MHz
    clock: 100MHz
    capabilities: x86-64 boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor ssse3 cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch ibs skinit wdt arat hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter cpufreq
    configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=2
    *-cache:0
    description: L1 cache
    physical id: 2e
    slot: L1 Cache
    size: 64KiB
    capacity: 128KiB
    clock: 1GHz (1.0ns)
    capabilities: pipeline-burst internal write-back unified
    *-cache:1
    description: L2 cache
    physical id: 2f
    slot: L2 Cache
    size: 512KiB
    capacity: 1MiB
    clock: 1GHz (1.0ns)
    capabilities: pipeline-burst internal write-back unified
    *-pci:0
    description: Host bridge
    product: Family 14h Processor Root Complex
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]
    physical id: 100
    bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
    version: 00
    clock: 66MHz
    configuration: latency=32
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
    resources: irq:44 memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:3000(size=256) memory:f0400000-f043ffff
    *-multimedia:0
    description: Audio device
    product: Wrestler HDMI Audio
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 1.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:01.1
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
    resources: irq:45 memory:f0444000-f0447fff
    *-pci:0
    description: PCI bridge
    product: Family 14h Processor Root Port
    physical id: 7
    bus info: pci@0000:00:07.0
    capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht normal_decode bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=pcieport
    resources: irq:40 ioport:1000(size=4096) memory:f0500000-f06fffff ioport:f0700000(size=2097152)
    *-storage
    description: SATA controller
    product: FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    physical id: 11
    bus info: pci@0000:00:11.0
    capabilities: storage msi ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=ahci latency=64
    resources: irq:42 ioport:3118(size=8) ioport:3124(size=4) ioport:3110(size=8) ioport:3120(size=4) ioport:3100(size=16) memory:f044c000-f044c7ff
    *-usb:0
    description: USB controller
    product: FCH USB OHCI Controller
    physical id: 12
    bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
    version: 11
    capabilities: ohci bus_master
    configuration: driver=ohci-pci latency=32
    resources: irq:18 memory:f044b000-f044bfff
    *-usb:1
    product: FCH USB EHCI Controller
    physical id: 12.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:12.2
    capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=ehci-pci latency=32
    resources: irq:17 memory:f044a000-f044a0ff
    *-usb:2
    product: FCH USB OHCI Controller
    physical id: 13
    bus info: pci@0000:00:13.0
    capabilities: ohci bus_master
    configuration: driver=ohci-pci latency=32
    resources: irq:18 memory:f0449000-f0449fff
    *-usb:3
    product: FCH USB EHCI Controller
    physical id: 13.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:13.2
    capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=ehci-pci latency=32
    resources: irq:17 memory:f0448000-f04480ff
    *-serial UNCLAIMED
    description: SMBus
    product: FCH SMBus Controller
    physical id: 14
    bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
    version: 14
    configuration: latency=0
    *-multimedia:1
    description: Audio device
    product: FCH Azalia Controller
    physical id: 14.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
    version: 01
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=32
    resources: irq:16 memory:f0440000-f0443fff
    *-isa
    description: ISA bridge
    product: FCH LPC Bridge
    physical id: 14.3
    bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
    capabilities: isa bus_master
    configuration: latency=0
    *-pci:1
    product: FCH PCI Bridge
    physical id: 14.4
    bus info: pci@0000:00:14.4
    version: 40
    capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master
    *-pci:2
    product: Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    physical id: 15
    bus info: pci@0000:00:15.0
    resources: irq:16 ioport:2000(size=4096) memory:f0300000-f03fffff ioport:f0000000(size=1048576)
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 05
    serial: f0:92:1c:59:d9:be
    size: 10Mbit/s
    capacity: 100Mbit/s
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
    resources: irq:43 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0004000-f0004fff memory:f0000000-f0003fff
    *-pci:3
    product: Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    physical id: 15.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:15.1
    resources: irq:16 memory:f0200000-f02fffff ioport:f0900000(size=1048576)
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
    vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
    bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 48:d2:24:57:a0:b5
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.13.0-24-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.107 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 memory:f0200000-f027ffff memory:f0900000-f090ffff
    *-pci:4
    product: Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    physical id: 15.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:15.2
    resources: irq:16 memory:f0100000-f01fffff
    *-generic
    description: Unassigned class
    product: RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=rtsx_pci latency=0
    resources: irq:41 memory:f0100000-f0100fff
    *-pci:1
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0
    physical id: 101
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.0
    version: 43
    *-pci:2
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
    physical id: 102
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.1
    *-pci:3
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
    physical id: 103
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.2
    *-pci:4
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
    physical id: 104
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.3
    configuration: driver=k10temp
    resources: irq:0
    *-pci:5
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
    physical id: 105
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.4
    *-pci:6
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
    physical id: 106
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.5
    *-pci:7
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
    physical id: 107
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.6
    *-pci:8
    product: Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
    physical id: 108
    bus info: pci@0000:00:18.7
    *-scsi:0
    logical name: scsi0
    capabilities: emulated
    *-disk
    description: ATA Disk
    product: HGST HTS545032A7
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sda
    version: GGBO
    serial: TE841348104N4A
    size: 298GiB (320GB)
    capabilities: gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
    configuration: ansiversion=5 guid=709aa96f-f9cd-490b-b569-d945f6d525d8 sectorsize=4096
    *-volume:0
    description: Linux swap volume
    vendor: Linux
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
    logical name: /dev/sda1
    version: 1
    serial: b121c238-7d9d-477a-bc45-42007a97ceac
    size: 3813MiB
    capacity: 3813MiB
    capabilities: nofs swap initialized
    configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4095
    *-volume:1
    description: EXT4 volume
    physical id: 2
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
    logical name: /dev/sda2
    logical name: /
    version: 1.0
    serial: 7ed92cda-ecbc-4415-b074-feb509662efc
    size: 97GiB
    capacity: 97GiB
    capabilities: journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized
    configuration: created=2014-08-31 22:38:50 filesystem=ext4 label=linuxmint1404 lastmountpoint=/ modified=2014-11-23 17:02:02 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered mounted=2014-11-23 17:02:02 name=Linuxmint state=mounted
    *-volume:2
    description: EXT4 volume
    physical id: 4
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,4
    logical name: /dev/sda4
    serial: ded58174-483c-4fd5-a358-fe801534ef6c
    size: 93GiB
    capabilities: boot journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized
    configuration: created=2014-05-10 12:51:19 filesystem=ext4 label=debianmobileroot lastmountpoint=/mnt modified=2014-11-22 21:24:44 mounted=2014-11-22 21:24:44 name=debianmobilerootdrive state=clean
    *-volume:3
    description: data partition
    physical id: 6
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,6
    logical name: /dev/sda6
    serial: 473113bc-7d01-423d-940e-79e2949cebd9
    size: 55GiB
    capabilities: large_files ext2 initialized
    configuration: filesystem=ext2 modified=2014-11-22 23:52:49 mounted=2014-11-18 10:54:44 name=6 state=clean
    *-scsi:1
    physical id: 2
    logical name: scsi1
    capabilities: emulated
    *-cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    product: DVDRAM GT80N
    vendor: hp
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: R102
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
    *-battery
    description: Lithium Ion Battery
    product: MU06047
    vendor: 11-85
    slot: Primary
    capacity: 47520mWh
    configuration: voltage=10.8V

I would use lshw if you have it. When using lspci, use it with the -v option after it. I prefer lshw because of the information it collects. Very helpful. Both commands complement each other. Linux comes with manual pages for most of the programs installed, especially for commandline programs.

#man lspci
    #man lshw

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board