• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 21 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • chenmin
    RE: How to make 'cups' a daemon process?
    Thank you for your reply! I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I expected it to work. But strangely it did not. Karmic Koala is shipped with a GUI tool named 'system-config-printer'. However, it was not until I installed 'cupsd' manually that the GUI configuration tool detected the printer. Does this imply anything?
    Link to this post 22 Jan 10

Thank you for your reply!

I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I expected it to work. But strangely it did not. Karmic Koala is shipped with a GUI tool named 'system-config-printer'. However, it was not until I installed 'cupsd' manually that the GUI configuration tool detected the printer.

Does this imply anything?

• chenmin
    How to make 'cups' a daemon process?
    I am having a problem with making 'cups' a startup service. I attatched an HP1160 to my Ubuntu box and shared it with other PCs in the same subnet. It worked fine. But later on, I find that I have to start manually the '/etc/init.d/cups' service script every time I reboot the system. My first reaction was to add 'cups' to '/etc/init.d/' but it was already there! And there are symbolic links named 'S50cups' under /etc/rc[2-5].d. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Link to this post 21 Jan 10

I am having a problem with making 'cups' a startup service.

I attatched an HP1160 to my Ubuntu box and shared it with other PCs in the same subnet. It worked fine. But later on, I find that I have to start manually the '/etc/init.d/cups' service script every time I reboot the system.

My first reaction was to add 'cups' to '/etc/init.d/' but it was already there! And there are symbolic links named 'S50cups' under /etc/rc[2-5].d.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board