• Last Logged In: 11 Jul 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • alvyn
    RE: Selecting the right Linux for integration
    Hi mfillpot, Thank you for your valuable advise and clear my confusion. Thank you very much :)
    Link to this post 11 Jul 10

Hi mfillpot,

Thank you for your valuable advise and clear my confusion.

Thank you very much :)

• alvyn
    RE: Selecting the right Linux for integration
    Hi, Thank you for your advise. When you mentioned that those Server functions can be addon to every distro, why are there still some distros having Desktop & Server differentiation? By not confusing "newbies" like myself, why not they just provide the base OS and allow users to addon/install those features when require? Do they provide Server distro because for the convenient of user so that users do not need to install these server features individually? Eg; In windows based, Server OS comes with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP etc which the Desktop OS (Win XP/Win 7) are not capable to addon these features. At least users can easily differentiate which OS to choose and use. Regards
    Link to this post 11 Jul 10

Hi,

Thank you for your advise.

When you mentioned that those Server functions can be addon to every distro, why are there still some distros having Desktop & Server differentiation?

By not confusing "newbies" like myself, why not they just provide the base OS and allow users to addon/install those features when require?
    Do they provide Server distro because for the convenient of user so that users do not need to install these server features individually?

Eg; In windows based, Server OS comes with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP etc which the Desktop OS (Win XP/Win 7) are not capable to addon these features. At least users can easily differentiate which OS to choose and use.

Regards

• alvyn
    Selecting the right Linux for integration
    Hi All, Can anyone advise me can the following be achieve? I want to use a free Linux say Mandriva Free 2010 Spring and integrate with BIND, Apache, MySQL etc to make it a Server. The function of this Server inlcudes : 1. DNS Server 2. FTP Server 3. VPN Server 4. DHCP Server 5. RAID 0,1 or 5. 6. WEB Server 7. Mail Server (Including Webmail) 8. RAS server 9. Firewall I understand that combining all Server function into 1 box may not be practical, however I just want to know whether can this be done? Is Mandriva Free 2010 Spring the right Linux OS to be use for this case? Any recommendation on which application to be used for each Server function above? Thanks
    Link to this post 10 Jul 10

Hi All,

Can anyone advise me can the following be achieve?

I want to use a free Linux say Mandriva Free 2010 Spring and integrate with BIND, Apache, MySQL etc to make it a Server.
    The function of this Server inlcudes :

1. DNS Server
    2. FTP Server
    3. VPN Server
    4. DHCP Server
    5. RAID 0,1 or 5.
    6. WEB Server
    7. Mail Server (Including Webmail)
    8. RAS server
    9. Firewall

I understand that combining all Server function into 1 box may not be practical, however I just want to know whether can this be done?

Is Mandriva Free 2010 Spring the right Linux OS to be use for this case?

Any recommendation on which application to be used for each Server function above?

Thanks

• alvyn
    RE: Which Linux should I start with?
    Hi All, Thanks for all for the advice. I think I will have to use Ubuntu and play with it for now. Once again, a million thanks to your precious advice. Cheers :) Alvyn
    Link to this post 05 Feb 10

Hi All,

Thanks for all for the advice. I think I will have to use Ubuntu and play with it for now.

Once again, a million thanks to your precious advice.

Cheers :)

Alvyn

• alvyn
    Which Linux should I start with?
    Hi I am more proficient in Windows based, however when come to Linux, I am totally confused. In order to build a low cost or "free" Linux Server equipped with DNS, DHCP, Firewall, VPN Server, RAID Capable, Dynamic DNS, Remote Access, WEB etc.. What should I use? And how and where to start from as in the selecting the appropriate applications. Can I say, download a free Kernel such as Mandriva Free 2010 and addon other apps like Apache for WEB, or BIND for DNS and integrate them together to function like a Server? Hope you can enlightened me on this. Thanks Alvyn
    Link to this post 04 Feb 10

Hi

I am more proficient in Windows based, however when come to Linux, I am totally confused.

In order to build a low cost or "free" Linux Server equipped with DNS, DHCP, Firewall, VPN Server, RAID Capable, Dynamic DNS, Remote Access, WEB etc..

What should I use? And how and where to start from as in the selecting the appropriate applications.

Can I say, download a free Kernel such as Mandriva Free 2010 and addon other apps like Apache for WEB, or BIND for DNS and integrate them together to function like a Server?

Hope you can enlightened me on this.

Thanks

Alvyn

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board