• Last Logged In: 02 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • dark_ixion
    RE: Favorite game?
    I forgot to mention [url=http://2dboy.com/games.php]World Of Goo[/url], which is graphically awesome, even on my netbook! I bought a copy after playing the free demo.
    Link to this post 22 May 09

I forgot to mention World Of Goo, which is graphically awesome, even on my netbook! I bought a copy after playing the free demo.

• dark_ixion
    RE: Reporting ? or My Ignorance ?
    A virus? If you're running Windows, and you're not seeing the beta.linux.com dialog, then that's possible, otherwise it's extremely unlikely. That's kinda one of the many benefits of Linux.
    Link to this post 21 May 09

A virus? If you're running Windows, and you're not seeing the beta.linux.com dialog, then that's possible, otherwise it's extremely unlikely. That's kinda one of the many benefits of Linux.

• dark_ixion
    RE: Why Linux ! !
    I think a good way to get people on to Linux is to get them to try out Firefox instead of IE, OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Works/Office, Thunderbird instead of Outlook and pidgin instead of MSN Messenger. Then there are no surprises when they make the switch.

I think a good way to get people on to Linux is to get them to try out Firefox instead of IE, OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Works/Office, Thunderbird instead of Outlook and pidgin instead of MSN Messenger. Then there are no surprises when they make the switch.

• dark_ixion
    RE: Reporting ? or My Ignorance ?
    I've seen the same thing, but the domain name is for beta.linux.com which is a restricted area, hence the authentication request. Not sure how that's creeping into pages. Maybe an image has been left behind from the beta version.

I've seen the same thing, but the domain name is for beta.linux.com which is a restricted area, hence the authentication request. Not sure how that's creeping into pages. Maybe an image has been left behind from the beta version.

• dark_ixion
    RE: Deciphering lines of code
    Oh, I should have clarified the square brackets. Those just indicate that a test is being performed inside them, and it will return 0 (true) or 1 (false) to the if clause.

Oh, I should have clarified the square brackets. Those just indicate that a test is being performed inside them, and it will return 0 (true) or 1 (false) to the if clause.

• dark_ixion
    RE: Why Linux ! !
    [b]abrenar wrote:[/b] [quote] does your parent and sister started to use the linux OS rather than windows? if yes that's great because some non-technical users are hard to decide converting linux. :side:[/quote] Well, my parents did actually use Windows for a short period, but appeared more comfortable with Ubuntu. It also boots a lot quicker too, which is important since the laptop they've got is faulty, whereby if you put it into suspend the power fails because the battery holds no charge, so it has to be booted from scratch each time. My sister has only ever had Ubuntu, which runs very smoothly on the old hardware she has. I got her one of those Ubuntu vase speakers too.

abrenar wrote:

does your parent and sister started to use the linux OS rather than windows? if yes that's great because some non-technical users are hard to decide converting linux.

:side:

Well, my parents did actually use Windows for a short period, but appeared more comfortable with Ubuntu. It also boots a lot quicker too, which is important since the laptop they've got is faulty, whereby if you put it into suspend the power fails because the battery holds no charge, so it has to be booted from scratch each time. My sister has only ever had Ubuntu, which runs very smoothly on the old hardware she has. I got her one of those Ubuntu vase speakers too.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board