• Last Logged In: 04 Mar 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Pulpie
    RE: Show Us Your Linux Desktop
    all very nice, i was looking for a mac os x like dock for xfce, anyone know of one?
    Link to this post 15 May 09

all very nice, i was looking for a mac os x like dock for xfce, anyone know of one?

• Pulpie
    RE: Why you choose linux, not FreeBSD?
    [b]bobmajdakjr wrote:[/b] [quote]I ended up choosing FreeBSD because in my own tests for the application I needed it had better throughput on both the network interfaces and daemon's like mysql that Linux did. (this was a year ago) Solaris (slowlaris) actually beat FreeBSD on my testing machine in terms of network throughput, but it sucked at doing every day tasks. And Linux on the desktop, well, it just has better general hardware support. And at the time I made the switch Quake III Arena was the only game I needed anyway. Anyway... work gave me a Macbook to carry around and I use that more often than not now... (still please don't flame me, lol)[/quote] Nothing wrong with a mac. In fact if i could afford one I would buy one. I think macs prices are a bit... cocky but still a good machine and OS.

bobmajdakjr wrote:

I ended up choosing FreeBSD because in my own tests for the application I needed it had better throughput on both the network interfaces and daemon's like mysql that Linux did. (this was a year ago)

Solaris (slowlaris) actually beat FreeBSD on my testing machine in terms of network throughput, but it sucked at doing every day tasks.

And Linux on the desktop, well, it just has better general hardware support. And at the time I made the switch Quake III Arena was the only game I needed anyway.

Anyway... work gave me a Macbook to carry around and I use that more often than not now... (still please don't flame me, lol)

Nothing wrong with a mac. In fact if i could afford one I would buy one. I think macs prices are a bit... cocky but still a good machine and OS.

• Pulpie
    RE: Why you choose linux, not FreeBSD?
    I like BSD more. If they had a BSD.com I would probably be there instead. Hard truth but still. Anyways its just opinion and I prefer the BSD license to almost everything else.

I like BSD more. If they had a BSD.com I would probably be there instead. Hard truth but still. Anyways its just opinion and I prefer the BSD license to almost everything else.

• Pulpie
    RE: Linux on the new Sony P Series notebook
    Although its not linux you can always try FreeBSD, sometimes it has better chances to at least boot, it doesn't use gui right off the bat like most do. You could also try Debians command line installer.
    Link to this post 14 May 09

Although its not linux you can always try FreeBSD, sometimes it has better chances to at least boot, it doesn't use gui right off the bat like most do. You could also try Debians command line installer.

• Pulpie
    RE: How installing Maya 2008 on Linux?
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639522 This link shows the system requirements of Maya. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=8992&iTestingId=31271 This link shows the status of it in the wine hq appdb

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639522

This link shows the system requirements of Maya.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=8992&iTestingId=31271

This link shows the status of it in the wine hq appdb

• Pulpie
    Window Focus
    I was wondering who uses focus on mouse hover and if they can actually work decently with it, I am trying it out now and it seems ok but its taking a while to get use to.

I was wondering who uses focus on mouse hover and if they can actually work decently with it, I am trying it out now and it seems ok but its taking a while to get use to.

• Pulpie
    Great Community
    I wanted to let everyone know thats looking for an internet learning community which promotes developers and students from all over the world. Come learn anything, from Linux to Windows, from software to hardware. Programming to engineering. We will assist you on your journey though technology We have a chatroom on freenode at #pulpie and our website is [url]www.pulpie.org[/url] check it out, we help a lot of users each day and will always offer consultants and services for free.

I wanted to let everyone know thats looking for an internet learning community which promotes developers and students from all over the world. Come learn anything, from Linux to Windows, from software to hardware. Programming to engineering. We will assist you on your journey though technology

We have a chatroom on freenode at #pulpie and our website is www.pulpie.org check it out, we help a lot of users each day and will always offer consultants and services for free.

• Pulpie
    RE: where are... 'suggestions' & "meet & greet"
    I am glad someone else noticed this, i was wondering where you could post to request a certain distro to have its own forum. I hope LF doesn't try to limit their forums to only things that -they- think are needed. I would like to see them only delete forums that aren't used ever X days. It would be very, closed minded of them to do so.

I am glad someone else noticed this, i was wondering where you could post to request a certain distro to have its own forum. I hope LF doesn't try to limit their forums to only things that -they- think are needed. I would like to see them only delete forums that aren't used ever X days.

It would be very, closed minded of them to do so.

• Pulpie
    CRPG Games
    I am looking for some really good, GUI based CRPGs, something like planescape: torment or fallout (NOT the third one) which kinda gives it a computerized board game feeling. I was also wondering if anyone plays the classic RPG style game (A game master and some players) over the internet.

I am looking for some really good, GUI based CRPGs, something like planescape: torment or fallout (NOT the third one) which kinda gives it a computerized board game feeling.

I was also wondering if anyone plays the classic RPG style game (A game master and some players) over the internet.

• Pulpie
    RE: List Your Favourite CLI Programs & Utilities
    I wanted to mention FUSHI [url]fushi.sf.net[/url] which is a pretty good way to learn command line, mostly the commands you guys have covered are in FUSHI.

I wanted to mention FUSHI fushi.sf.net which is a pretty good way to learn command line, mostly the commands you guys have covered are in FUSHI.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board