• Last Logged In: 18 May 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jnvilo
    RE: Linux Babies ! ! !
    [b]abrenar wrote:[/b] [quote]Who are Linux Babies here ? Don't be Shy Show your Self ! ! We are here for support ! ! Tell us your Inquiries and problems encountered in your first few days in linux. We will help you to decide to leave your Old Operating System Full of Viruses and malwares to secured Linux. ;)[/quote] So somebody wants to remove "Newbie" and now use baby instead?? Has the term newbie become such a derogative term nowadays?
    Link to this post 18 May 09

abrenar wrote:

Who are Linux Babies here ?

Don't be Shy Show your Self ! !

We are here for support ! !

Tell us your Inquiries and problems encountered in your first few days in linux.

We will help you to decide to leave your Old Operating System Full of Viruses and malwares to secured Linux.

;)

So somebody wants to remove "Newbie" and now use baby instead?? Has the term newbie become such a derogative term nowadays?

• jnvilo
    RE: Why Linux ! !
    Until 1995, I was using Amiga, then at the end 1996 three things happened, 1) I went to University of Malta and had an account on the unix lab which ran SunOS4 2) I bought a pc Pentim 100 16 megs ram and it came with windows 95 3) I stumbled on a book with Slackware Suffice to say, I wanted to have a unix at home and so windows95 went out the window, and slackware came in, which then turned to redhat 5.3 when then went to debian and the rest is history.

Until 1995, I was using Amiga, then at the end 1996 three things happened,

1) I went to University of Malta and had an account on the unix lab which ran SunOS4
    2) I bought a pc Pentim 100 16 megs ram and it came with windows 95
    3) I stumbled on a book with Slackware

Suffice to say, I wanted to have a unix at home and so windows95 went out the window, and slackware came in, which then turned to redhat 5.3 when then went to debian and the rest is history.

• jnvilo
    RE: Why don't these ebtables rules work right?
    I am not an iptables expert and I am not sure about how you handle the ports 80 and 443 with those forward rules but how about simply doing something along the lines of: iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -d yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy -m tcp --syn --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

I am not an iptables expert and I am not sure about how you handle the ports 80 and 443 with those forward rules but how about simply doing something along the lines of:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -d yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy -m tcp --syn --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

• jnvilo
    RE: Shell Script Help.....
    The $ sign is clearly a mistake on his part when he copy pasted from his terminal. His shell promt ends in $.

The $ sign is clearly a mistake on his part when he copy pasted from his terminal. His shell promt ends in $.

• jnvilo
    RE: Nvidia problems
    [b]DCOH wrote:[/b] [quote]Not sure what nvidia problem that you are referring to , but I'm running F11 that started as the preview edition. It is now installed to the harddrive and fully updated with no problems, and I'm running it with a Nvidia 6200 LE video card.[/quote] Can you comment on 3D acceleration please? How does it perform with Compiz? Do you have DRI?
    Link to this post 15 May 09

DCOH wrote:

Not sure what nvidia problem that you are referring to , but I'm running F11 that started as the preview edition. It is now installed to the harddrive and fully updated with no problems, and I'm running it with a Nvidia 6200 LE video card.

Can you comment on 3D acceleration please? How does it perform with Compiz? Do you have DRI?

• jnvilo
    RE: Nvidia problems
    If the issue is about nvidia driver, what's the point of trying it in a virtual machine??
    Link to this post 15 May 09

If the issue is about nvidia driver, what's the point of trying it in a virtual machine??

• jnvilo
    RE: run.bat -> Shell bash script Translation needed
    that would be something along the lines of #!/bin/bash echo "jvm" echo 'Newset Client Running" /usr/bin/java -Xmx500m EGUI -- I've neglected the title since that would make it more complicated setting the PROMPT_COMMAND var.
    Link to this post 14 May 09

that would be something along the lines of

#!/bin/bash

echo "jvm"
    echo 'Newset Client Running"
    /usr/bin/java -Xmx500m EGUI

--

I've neglected the title since that would make it more complicated setting the PROMPT_COMMAND var.

• jnvilo
    RE: Linux Market Share Passes 1%!!
    Well said.

Well said.

• jnvilo
    RE: RHEL or CentOS?
    We use RHEL only on oracle databases primarily because we need the oracle support and oracle will simply drop the phone when they hear that you are not running on a certified OS. But for everything else, I install Centos. If the software/developers tell me RHEL, I go back to them explaning that Centos is exactly RHEL without the Redhat support that I won't need/use anyway.

We use RHEL only on oracle databases primarily because we need the oracle support and oracle will simply drop the phone when they hear that you are not running on a certified OS.

But for everything else, I install Centos. If the software/developers tell me RHEL, I go back to them explaning that Centos is exactly RHEL without the Redhat support that I won't need/use anyway.

• jnvilo
    RE: Linux command to display files in multiple pages a
    what do you mean exactly by "it did not work" ? ls | more exactly does what you want. It lists all the files and if there is more than a screenfull, then it waits for you to press a key to show the rest. ls | less works better, press the up arrow and you scroll up, down goes down and press the space bar goes to the next contents to fill the whole terminal window

what do you mean exactly by "it did not work" ?

ls | more

exactly does what you want. It lists all the files and if there is more than a screenfull, then it waits for you to press a key to show the rest.

ls | less

works better, press the up arrow and you scroll up, down goes down and press the space bar goes to the next contents to fill the whole terminal window

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board