• Last Logged In: 19 Dec

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • vtel57
    RE: HELP ME!
    Oh, and to your original question... as Matt said, you can use almost any Linux Live CD to boot and access your Win stuff. Once you have access to it from the Linux Live CD, you can copy onto DVD or whatever. That way you don't lose your stuff. Before giving up completely on it, I would definitely try to repair the Vista installation. Keep us posted...
    Link to this post 01 Mar 11

Oh, and to your original question... as Matt said, you can use almost any Linux Live CD to boot and access your Win stuff. Once you have access to it from the Linux Live CD, you can copy onto DVD or whatever. That way you don't lose your stuff. Before giving up completely on it, I would definitely try to repair the Vista installation.

Keep us posted...

• vtel57
    If you're booting as you describe and end up with a generic Windows screensaver, I would say that the drive is probably not the issue. Sounds more like a corrupted Windows installation (been there, done that a few times ;) ). Anyway, Win Vista, huh? What did you do or had you been doing just prior to this problem developing? Were there any updates? Did you install any software on the Win system? Etc? Try to think back. It may have been something simple that you did that is causing this problem. Do you have a Vista recover disk? Also, I don't know for sure, but I think HP might be able to assist you with troubleshooting, etc. even though you're out of warranty. You'd have to call to find out, though. I'm not familiar with HP's support system.

If you're booting as you describe and end up with a generic Windows screensaver, I would say that the drive is probably not the issue. Sounds more like a corrupted Windows installation (been there, done that a few times ;) ).

Anyway, Win Vista, huh? What did you do or had you been doing just prior to this problem developing? Were there any updates? Did you install any software on the Win system? Etc? Try to think back. It may have been something simple that you did that is causing this problem.

Do you have a Vista recover disk? Also, I don't know for sure, but I think HP might be able to assist you with troubleshooting, etc. even though you're out of warranty. You'd have to call to find out, though. I'm not familiar with HP's support system.

• vtel57
    Sadly, Bobby, if it's truly a failed hard drive, that means the the drive itself is no longer functioning. No operating system will help you retrieve your files on that drive. If they are critical to your every day life, you can pay a company to retrieve them for you. It usually runs $300+ USD to have that done. They have to physically disassemble your defective hard drive and install the platters (disks) into a jig on their bench which can then access the data. It's a complicated hardware/software endeavor; not to be tried at home. Best of luck with it. ~Eric

Sadly, Bobby, if it's truly a failed hard drive, that means the the drive itself is no longer functioning. No operating system will help you retrieve your files on that drive. If they are critical to your every day life, you can pay a company to retrieve them for you. It usually runs $300+ USD to have that done.

They have to physically disassemble your defective hard drive and install the platters (disks) into a jig on their bench which can then access the data. It's a complicated hardware/software endeavor; not to be tried at home.

Best of luck with it.

~Eric

• vtel57
    RE: Linux.com IRC
    Maybe that's what I remember having set up in Xchat a while ago. I just knew that I had some IRC set up for this place. I just couldn't find any info about it here anywhere. Thanks, Matt. :) EDIT: OK. I'm in. It's working. :)
    Link to this post 28 Feb 11

Maybe that's what I remember having set up in Xchat a while ago. I just knew that I had some IRC set up for this place. I just couldn't find any info about it here anywhere. Thanks, Matt. :)

EDIT: OK. I'm in. It's working. :)

• vtel57
    Linux.com IRC
    Is there an IRC server/channel for Linux.com. I thought there was at one time, but I seem to have misplaced the info.
    Link to this post 28 Feb 11

Is there an IRC server/channel for Linux.com. I thought there was at one time, but I seem to have misplaced the info.

• vtel57
    RE: Linux on a USB
    Here's another way... http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/My-Thumb-Drive-Toolbox.html
    Link to this post 26 Feb 11

Here's another way...

http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/My-Thumb-Drive-Toolbox.html

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board