• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 21 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • vtel57
    RE: What brought you to using Linux based systems?
    Well, it all started for me with a catastrophic system failure after a "patch Tuesday" back in '06. It was the 4th time in three years that I had to wipe/reinstall XP because of patch related system corruptions. Hey... MS happens. What can I say? That aggravation drove me from tinkering with Linux to actually learning to use it as a primary operating system. I started out with Ubuntu 6.06 and quickly moved to other more "manly" distros. Ubuntu was just a bit too prettified for me. I wanted something you had to bleed a bit to learn. After much trial and experimentation, I ended up with Slackware as my primary operating system and Debian as my back-up operating system. Along the way, I've developed a handful of favorites like Arch, Ark, CentOS, Zenwalk, Vector, Foresight, etc. Slackware is still home for me, though. Later... ~Eric
    Link to this post 24 Jan 11

Well, it all started for me with a catastrophic system failure after a "patch Tuesday" back in '06. It was the 4th time in three years that I had to wipe/reinstall XP because of patch related system corruptions. Hey... MS happens. What can I say?

That aggravation drove me from tinkering with Linux to actually learning to use it as a primary operating system. I started out with Ubuntu 6.06 and quickly moved to other more "manly" distros. Ubuntu was just a bit too prettified for me. I wanted something you had to bleed a bit to learn.

After much trial and experimentation, I ended up with Slackware as my primary operating system and Debian as my back-up operating system. Along the way, I've developed a handful of favorites like Arch, Ark, CentOS, Zenwalk, Vector, Foresight, etc.

Slackware is still home for me, though.

Later...

~Eric

• vtel57
    General Topics Make the Forum Go 'Round!
    Well, it seems my nagging has paid off. One of my biggest complaints about this forum at the beginning of this enterprise was its lack of a general topic area. All forums need an area like this. It is the place where members really get to know one another without the constrictions of forum topic rules. I'm glad to see we finally have a place to relax and just yak a bit. I hope it draws more members into the conversation and the community. Thanks to whomever finally made this happen. OK, let's get to yakkin'... ;) ~Eric
    Link to this post 23 Jan 11

Well, it seems my nagging has paid off. One of my biggest complaints about this forum at the beginning of this enterprise was its lack of a general topic area. All forums need an area like this. It is the place where members really get to know one another without the constrictions of forum topic rules.

I'm glad to see we finally have a place to relax and just yak a bit. I hope it draws more members into the conversation and the community. Thanks to whomever finally made this happen.

OK, let's get to yakkin'... ;)

~Eric

• vtel57
    RE: The Slacker's Fav Linux List
    Hiya, Matt! Thanks for spreading the word. :)
    Link to this post 03 Dec 10

Hiya, Matt!

Thanks for spreading the word. :)

• vtel57
    The Slacker's Fav Linux List
    Just in time for the holidays... http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/2010/12/02/the-slackers-fav-linux-list/
    Link to this post 03 Dec 10

Just in time for the holidays...

http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/2010/12/02/the-slackers-fav-linux-list/

• vtel57
    RE: Email/PIM Application
    If it's important to me, hard copy is the ONLY way to store it. I read and delete all my emails, eventually. The important ones get printed out and filed somewhere. :)
    Link to this post 19 Nov 10

If it's important to me, hard copy is the ONLY way to store it. I read and delete all my emails, eventually. The important ones get printed out and filed somewhere. :)

• vtel57
    RE: Email/PIM Application
    You leave your important emails on someone else's server? Ooooh! Not me. That's too much like... GASP! ...cloud computing. ;)
    Link to this post 18 Nov 10

You leave your important emails on someone else's server? Ooooh! Not me. That's too much like... GASP! ...cloud computing. ;)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board