• Last Logged In: 19 Dec

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • vtel57
    RE: Email/PIM Application
    An update... WOO-HOO! http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/2010/11/17/i-love-thunderbird-3-x/
    Link to this post 18 Nov 10

An update... WOO-HOO!

http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/2010/11/17/i-love-thunderbird-3-x/

• vtel57
    Email/PIM Application
    I have become a [url=http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/2010/11/16/i-hate-thunderbird-3-x/]bit disenchanted[/url] with Thunderbird/Lightning recently and was wondering if there are any other viable alternatives out there. I am looking specifically for a PIM app, but a decent email app w/ built in PIM would be OK, too. What do you use? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. ~Eric
    Link to this post 18 Nov 10

I have become a bit disenchanted with Thunderbird/Lightning recently and was wondering if there are any other viable alternatives out there. I am looking specifically for a PIM app, but a decent email app w/ built in PIM would be OK, too.

What do you use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

~Eric

• vtel57
    RE: Getting a CD to boot on my computer
    The first thing I ask in situations like this is are you absolutely sure you burned the CD/DVD as a bootable image... [b]not[/b] a data disk?
    Link to this post 23 Apr 10

The first thing I ask in situations like this is are you absolutely sure you burned the CD/DVD as a bootable image... not a data disk?

• vtel57
    RE: Understanding the disk utility
    A hard disk can ONLY have 4 Primary partitions, one of which can be sub-divided into Extended partitions. From the looks of what you've described, you have: Primary partition 1 - 103 GB - NTFS - VistaOS Primary partition 2 - subdivided into three extended partitions: Extended 1 - 64 GB - NTFS - Data (probably Vista backup or other use) Extended 2 - 85 GB - ext4 - Linux (your Mint installation) Extended 3 - 3.7 GB - swap - for use with Linux Unallocated space - 64 GB - This can be partitioned and used for any purpose you'd like. A common storage partition accessible to both Vista and Mint might come in handy. And as mfillpot says, gparted is a great little application. There is a graphic version (possibly already installed in Mint) in the Mint repos. Luck!

A hard disk can ONLY have 4 Primary partitions, one of which can be sub-divided into Extended partitions. From the looks of what you've described, you have:

Primary partition 1 - 103 GB - NTFS - VistaOS

Primary partition 2 - subdivided into three extended partitions:
    Extended 1 - 64 GB - NTFS - Data (probably Vista backup or other use)
    Extended 2 - 85 GB - ext4 - Linux (your Mint installation)
    Extended 3 - 3.7 GB - swap - for use with Linux

Unallocated space - 64 GB - This can be partitioned and used for any purpose you'd like. A common storage partition accessible to both Vista and Mint might come in handy.

And as mfillpot says, gparted is a great little application. There is a graphic version (possibly already installed in Mint) in the Mint repos.

Luck!

• vtel57
    RE: Which version to download
    He's installing Debian, from the looks of it. And yes... the AMD64 is the version he wants. :)

He's installing Debian, from the looks of it. And yes... the AMD64 is the version he wants. :)

• vtel57
    RE: How To Disable Onboard Graphics For GeForce 8500GT
    Drivers. Drivers. Drivers. Install the Nvidia drivers for your card that are available in the Ubuntu repos. You should be fine after that. I run a similar card on my system, by the way. :)
    Link to this post 01 Apr 10

Drivers. Drivers. Drivers. Install the Nvidia drivers for your card that are available in the Ubuntu repos. You should be fine after that. I run a similar card on my system, by the way. :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board