• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 2 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • vtel57
    RE: Update ManagerPackage Manager problem please help!
    COOL BEANS, man! Glad you got it working! :) P.S. Relatively new to Linux, Matt? See [url=http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=3&id=2889&limit=6&start=12#5279]THIS[/url] post for some very useful information. Have FUN! :)
    Link to this post 31 Mar 10

COOL BEANS, man! Glad you got it working! :)

P.S. Relatively new to Linux, Matt? See THIS post for some very useful information.

Have FUN! :)

• vtel57
    Matt, Please read [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu]HERE[/url] and check your sources. There seems to be some issue with the repository for universe that you're using.

Matt,

Please read HERE and check your sources. There seems to be some issue with the repository for universe that you're using.

• vtel57
    Hmm... OK. Let's try to remove vlc-nox from your system (in case it is installed incorrectly). At the command line once again (Terminal): [code]$ sudo apt-get remove vlc-nox[/code] Let me know what happens. :)

Hmm... OK.

Let's try to remove vlc-nox from your system (in case it is installed incorrectly).

At the command line once again (Terminal):

$ sudo apt-get remove vlc-nox

Let me know what happens. :)

• vtel57
    Hmm... interesting. vlc-nox is the command line (Terminal) version of the vlc media player. It doesn't need to be installed on your system at all. Post an update to what happens when you attempt those commands above. I'll be back on again later this evening. Luck! :)

Hmm... interesting. vlc-nox is the command line (Terminal) version of the vlc media player. It doesn't need to be installed on your system at all.

Post an update to what happens when you attempt those commands above. I'll be back on again later this evening.

Luck! :)

• vtel57
    RE: Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner
    Note: . (dot) is the directory that you are currently working in within the terminal applicaton. In your case, /home/john822. You ALREADY OWN that directory. You cannot change permissions for that directory. .. (dot dot) is the parent directory of the directory you are working in currently. In your case, it is the / (root) directory. You cannot "own" or change permissions for this directory either.

Note:

. (dot) is the directory that you are currently working in within the terminal applicaton. In your case, /home/john822. You ALREADY OWN that directory. You cannot change permissions for that directory.

.. (dot dot) is the parent directory of the directory you are working in currently. In your case, it is the / (root) directory. You cannot "own" or change permissions for this directory either.

• vtel57
    RE: Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner
    Well, firstly... Please, just call me "Eric". I'm neither master nor geek. I'm just a fellow traveler who's been on the road a little longer than some, not as long as others. Anyway, when you use the command "sudo" in Ubuntu, you are granting your regular user temporary root privileges to perform certain operations. It's not usually a good idea to run apps as root. In the Xsane interface somewhere you will find "options" or "preferences". You probably need to add your regular user name as a user for that app. Restart the app as a regular user after making this preference setting. All scanned items should be accessible by your regular user after that point, as long as you're not running the app as root. That list of files and directories you posted is the entire contents of your /home/john822 directory. Everything in that directory has permissions set so that you as the regular user/owner of the directory can access them. Read [url=https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+question/58817]HERE[/url] for some further information about Xsane permissions in Ubuntu. Luck!

Well, firstly...

Please, just call me "Eric". I'm neither master nor geek. I'm just a fellow traveler who's been on the road a little longer than some, not as long as others.

Anyway, when you use the command "sudo" in Ubuntu, you are granting your regular user temporary root privileges to perform certain operations. It's not usually a good idea to run apps as root.

In the Xsane interface somewhere you will find "options" or "preferences". You probably need to add your regular user name as a user for that app. Restart the app as a regular user after making this preference setting. All scanned items should be accessible by your regular user after that point, as long as you're not running the app as root.

That list of files and directories you posted is the entire contents of your /home/john822 directory. Everything in that directory has permissions set so that you as the regular user/owner of the directory can access them.

Read HERE for some further information about Xsane permissions in Ubuntu.

Luck!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board