• Last Logged In: 3 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • vtel57
    RE: Email/PIM Application
    Hi there, Hugenoot. :) I've been pretty scarce around here the past few years. I do still visit from time to time, though. That link above is just a link to my Profile View on Google G+. You'd have to be a G+ member to be able to see it, though. I do very minimal cloud computing. I don't trust it. Security sucks. Everything and everyone is getting hacked these days. I would never put important or private/valuable personal data on anyone's servers. I ONLY keep data like that on my own system (encrypted) and backed up on external media and hard copy when possible. Anyway, off a go... ===== As per the Moderator's request, if we're to continue this conversation about cloud computing, hacking, security issues currently being experienced on the Internet, then let's start a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
    Link to this post 3 days ago

Hi there, Hugenoot. :)

I've been pretty scarce around here the past few years. I do still visit from time to time, though.

That link above is just a link to my Profile View on Google G+. You'd have to be a G+ member to be able to see it, though.

I do very minimal cloud computing. I don't trust it. Security sucks. Everything and everyone is getting hacked these days. I would never put important or private/valuable personal data on anyone's servers. I ONLY keep data like that on my own system (encrypted) and backed up on external media and hard copy when possible.

Anyway, off a go...

=====

As per the Moderator's request, if we're to continue this conversation about cloud computing, hacking, security issues currently being experienced on the Internet, then let's start a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.

• vtel57
    I haven't been spending nearly as much time online or sitting in front of this box and screen on my desk these days. A bit of computer/techie burnout, I guess. I haven't even been writing on any of my blogs. I've actually gone back to reading "dead tree" books for enlightenment and entertainment. ~Eric :)
    Link to this post 4 days ago

I haven't been spending nearly as much time online or sitting in front of this box and screen on my desk these days. A bit of computer/techie burnout, I guess. I haven't even been writing on any of my blogs. I've actually gone back to reading "dead tree" books for enlightenment and entertainment.

~Eric

:)

• vtel57
    Istimsak said: "It has been a while since I have seen a post from you Eric. How are things with you?" HA! Well, that was Hugenoot who revived this old thread. My last post here was in 2010. I do have email notifications turned on, though... and they still work. How are things with me? Well, they haven't improved much financially; health is OK, though. That's always a good thing. You're in my circles at G+, Istimsak. You can always find me there... https://plus.google.com/117345995266416713461/about/p/pub Anyway, see you here or there or somewhere! Happy Holidays, everyone! :) ~Eric
    Link to this post 5 days ago

Istimsak said: "It has been a while since I have seen a post from you Eric. How are things with you?"

HA! Well, that was Hugenoot who revived this old thread. My last post here was in 2010. I do have email notifications turned on, though... and they still work.

How are things with me? Well, they haven't improved much financially; health is OK, though. That's always a good thing.

You're in my circles at G+, Istimsak. You can always find me there...

https://plus.google.com/117345995266416713461/about/p/pub

Anyway, see you here or there or somewhere!

Happy Holidays, everyone! :)

~Eric

• vtel57
    Happy Birthday, Istimsak Abdulbasir!
    The Calendar Alert at Scot's Newsletter Forums let me know that today is your birthday, my young friend. Here's hoping you have a wonderful day. Stay happy and healthy for many, many more birthdays, Istimsak! Cheers! ~Eric
    Link to this post 24 Sep 13

The Calendar Alert at Scot's Newsletter Forums let me know that today is your birthday, my young friend. Here's hoping you have a wonderful day. Stay happy and healthy for many, many more birthdays, Istimsak!

Cheers!

~Eric

• vtel57
    RE: Slackware documentation project
    [b]The Slackware Documentation Project[/b] Greetings fellow Slackware Linux users! A week ago on Jeremy's LinuxQuestions.org, Nicolas Kovaks (kikinovak) made a post suggesting the need for a centrally located compendium of Slackware Linux documentation that could be compiled, maintained, and archived for use by all. This posting mobilized the hardcore Slackware user community at LQ.org to post suggestions and criticisms regarding this topic. Thanks to Mr. Eric Hameleers (Alien Bob), a Slackware Linux Core Team member and Mr. Nicolas Kovacs, an IT professional and creator of [url=http://www.microlinux.fr/]MicroLinux[/url], the dream of many a Slacker for the past 19 years has become a reality. The Slackware Linux Documentation Project is born! The project has the blessing of Slackware's BDFM, Patrick Volkerding. It is currently being designed and staffed and will go live very soon. It is using the [url=https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki]DocuWiki[/url] wiki software. This is a worldwide, multi-language (English as primary) community project. Your help is needed. Please come join us in creating what we hope will be the largest single source of Slackware Linux knowledge on the Net. The wiki is in the process of being created and staffed at this time. You can still register and begin contributing. Also, your thoughts and input are welcome on the mailing list and the project's IRC channel. Let's work together to make this happen! Links: -- [url=https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackbuilds-org-vs-slackware-documentation-4175422561/]the original thread at LinuxQuestions.org[/url] -- [url=http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/slackware-documentation-project/]the Alien Pastures (Alien Bob's blog) article[/url] -- [url=http://docs.slackware.com/] the Slackware Documentation Project wiki[/url] -- [url=http://lists.alienbase.nl/mailman/listinfo/slackdocs]the SlackDocs mailing list[/url] -- IRC Channel = #slackdocs on freenode.net ~V. T. Eric Layton, Slackware Linux Documentation Project - Staff Editor ----- We could use your help, Matthew! :)
    Link to this post 26 Aug 12

The Slackware Documentation Project

Greetings fellow Slackware Linux users!

A week ago on Jeremy's LinuxQuestions.org, Nicolas Kovaks (kikinovak) made a post suggesting the need for a centrally located compendium of Slackware Linux documentation that could be compiled, maintained, and archived for use by all. This posting mobilized the hardcore Slackware user community at LQ.org to post suggestions and criticisms regarding this topic. Thanks to Mr. Eric Hameleers (Alien Bob), a Slackware Linux Core Team member and Mr. Nicolas Kovacs, an IT professional and creator of MicroLinux, the dream of many a Slacker for the past 19 years has become a reality.

The Slackware Linux Documentation Project is born! The project has the blessing of Slackware's BDFM, Patrick Volkerding. It is currently being designed and staffed and will go live very soon. It is using the DocuWiki wiki software. This is a worldwide, multi-language (English as primary) community project. Your help is needed. Please come join us in creating what we hope will be the largest single source of Slackware Linux knowledge on the Net.

The wiki is in the process of being created and staffed at this time. You can still register and begin contributing. Also, your thoughts and input are welcome on the mailing list and the project's IRC channel. Let's work together to make this happen!

Links:

-- the original thread at LinuxQuestions.org
    -- the Alien Pastures (Alien Bob's blog) article
    -- the Slackware Documentation Project wiki
    -- the SlackDocs mailing list
    -- IRC Channel = #slackdocs on freenode.net

~V. T. Eric Layton, Slackware Linux Documentation Project - Staff Editor

-----

We could use your help, Matthew! :)

• vtel57
    RE: Slackware documentation project
    You beat me to it. I was just stopping by to post this: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/08/22/1355228/slackware-documentation-project-begins-in-earnest Come join us! ~Eric
    Link to this post 24 Aug 12

You beat me to it. I was just stopping by to post this: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/08/22/1355228/slackware-documentation-project-begins-in-earnest

Come join us!

~Eric

• vtel57
    RE: Welcome to Slackware
    Well, it's been a while... I thought I'd pop in here and bump the very first thread ever posted in this area of the forum; appropriate that it be about the oldest living distribution of GNU/Linux. Slackware STILL ROCKS! :)
    Link to this post 13 Jul 12

Well, it's been a while...

I thought I'd pop in here and bump the very first thread ever posted in this area of the forum; appropriate that it be about the oldest living distribution of GNU/Linux.

Slackware STILL ROCKS! :)

• vtel57
    RE: WHen the Groups will Return?
    Well, you know how it is... Between being an Admin at Scot's Newsletter Forums - Bruno's All Things Linux, running my own personal board, and trying to provide some minimally entertaining or educational content going on my three blogs; I'm just overwhelmed some days. ;) I'll try to peak in here more often, though. You folks be good now. Don't burn the place down while I'm gone. :) Later... ~Eric P.S. I'm easy to find if you need me... http://vtel.jaylach.com/vtel57/vtel57.html
    Link to this post 09 Feb 12

Well, you know how it is...

Between being an Admin at Scot's Newsletter Forums - Bruno's All Things Linux, running my own personal board, and trying to provide some minimally entertaining or educational content going on my three blogs; I'm just overwhelmed some days. ;)

I'll try to peak in here more often, though.

You folks be good now. Don't burn the place down while I'm gone. :)

Later...

~Eric

P.S. I'm easy to find if you need me... http://vtel.jaylach.com/vtel57/vtel57.html

• vtel57
    RE: WHen the Groups will Return?
    Daniel, You're a trooper, buddy. Thanks for all you do. I've been remiss in visiting here at Linux.com lately because... well, because I just don't have the time to visit all the forums and blogs that I like to visit on any given day. Sometimes, you just have to pass on one or two. Unfortunately, time gets by you and you realize you haven't logged in at one of your fav places in months. That's the nature of the Internet these days... information overload. It's good to see some familiar faces still hanging around the place, though. Hope all is well with everyone. I too am looking forward to seeing how Daniel's vision for this place will look when it becomes reality. Take care all... ~Eric
    Link to this post 07 Feb 12

Daniel,

You're a trooper, buddy. Thanks for all you do.

I've been remiss in visiting here at Linux.com lately because... well, because I just don't have the time to visit all the forums and blogs that I like to visit on any given day. Sometimes, you just have to pass on one or two. Unfortunately, time gets by you and you realize you haven't logged in at one of your fav places in months. That's the nature of the Internet these days... information overload.

It's good to see some familiar faces still hanging around the place, though. Hope all is well with everyone. I too am looking forward to seeing how Daniel's vision for this place will look when it becomes reality.

Take care all...

~Eric

• vtel57
    RE: The Forum Website is back up.
    I'm easy to find. Just click on my name under my sig pic. :)
    Link to this post 17 Oct 11

I'm easy to find. Just click on my name under my sig pic. :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board