• Last Logged In: 29 Mar 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • gazolinia
    RE: Need to call chroot under normal unprevileged user
    HI finally we planned to over write the chroot method through LKM , guessing that will solve our problem.
    Link to this post 29 Mar 10

HI finally we planned to over write the chroot method through LKM , guessing that will solve our problem.

• gazolinia
    Hi, Desperation to find answer made me to post in different forums . But this is the thing finally required, I need to add CAP_SYS_CHROOT capability to my user, because only users with CAP_SYS_CHROOT can call chroot. This will solve all my requirements . I guess I am making things look tough by saying all unwanted details. Thanks, Jai
    Link to this post 26 Mar 10

Hi,

Desperation to find answer made me to post in different forums . But this is the thing finally required, I need to add CAP_SYS_CHROOT capability to my user, because only users with CAP_SYS_CHROOT can call chroot. This will solve all my requirements . I guess I am making things look tough by saying all unwanted details.

Thanks,
    Jai

• gazolinia
    Hi, My requirement is simple, Apache receives request and calls my perl handler. The handler script needs to identify which script it needs to run and based on this it needs to go to the particular chroot jail and run the script securely, btw it prints the output to response. We have this new roots already created with necessary libraries and binaries. Hope you got my req . Thanks, Jai :(
    Link to this post 25 Mar 10

Hi,

My requirement is simple, Apache receives request and calls my perl handler. The handler script needs to identify which script it needs to run and based on this it needs to go to the particular chroot jail and run the script securely, btw it prints the output to response. We have this new roots already created with necessary libraries and binaries. Hope you got my req .

Thanks,
    Jai :(

• gazolinia
    Hi, Thanks for your immediate reponse. My only requirement is I call chroot from a perl script . This perl script needs to run under normal user . I am using grsecurity to avoid double chroot and breaking of chroot issues. Currently the point where I stand is I must run the perl script under un previleged user, but it should do chroot. Seems little wierd right , but this is what my application requires now . Adding capablility CAP_SYS_CHROOT to the normal user I guess must solve my requirement. But I am not sure how to add this capablity to my user. Hope you got my requirements. Thanks Jai
    Link to this post 24 Mar 10

Hi,

Thanks for your immediate reponse. My only requirement is I call chroot from a perl script . This perl script needs to run under normal user . I am using grsecurity to avoid double chroot and breaking of chroot issues. Currently the point where I stand is I must run the perl script under un previleged user, but it should do chroot. Seems little wierd right , but this is what my application requires now . Adding capablility CAP_SYS_CHROOT to the normal user I guess must solve my requirement. But I am not sure how to add this capablity to my user.

Hope you got my requirements.

Thanks
    Jai

• gazolinia
    Need to call chroot under normal unprevileged user
    Its been last two days over after my search started . But I didn't find answer any where ?. I need to call chroot as part of normal user, but to my surprise it can only be called by SUper user with CAP_SYS_CHROOT capabilities. I am not sure how to add this capability to my user . Please help me in solving my situation.
    Link to this post 24 Mar 10

Its been last two days over after my search started . But I didn't find answer any where ?. I need to call chroot as part of normal user, but to my surprise it can only be called by SUper user with CAP_SYS_CHROOT capabilities. I am not sure how to add this capability to my user . Please help me in solving my situation.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board