• Last Logged In: 06 Feb 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jdeslip
    Linux Market Share Passes 1%!!
    Hitslink.com just releasted their april market share stats and linux passed 1% for the first time ever. See historical plot at my article here: [url]http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=43[/url] Digg the article here: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Market_Share_Passes_1
    Link to this post 02 May 09

Hitslink.com just releasted their april market share stats and linux passed 1% for the first time ever.

See historical plot at my article here: http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=43

Digg the article here: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Market_Share_Passes_1

• jdeslip
    What do you think of This Forum Software
    I personally don't like it very much. Everything feels way to cramped and busy compared to say ubuntuforums or fedoraforum. I I think the right side panel should be shrunk considerably to expand the left panel. I would get rid of the latest featured blogs part. And move the latest forum posts and popular threads to the top or bottom. I'd allow more post per-page. I hate having to click next-page so often. A default of 10-20 should be sufficient.
    Link to this post 28 Apr 09

I personally don't like it very much. Everything feels way to cramped and busy compared to say ubuntuforums or fedoraforum. I

I think the right side panel should be shrunk considerably to expand the left panel.

I would get rid of the latest featured blogs part. And move the latest forum posts and popular threads to the top or bottom.

I'd allow more post per-page. I hate having to click next-page so often. A default of 10-20 should be sufficient.

• jdeslip
    RE: Ubuntu 9.04 Released today
    In, my opinion, best release yet. I was disappointed by the lack of improvements in 8.10. But, jaunty really seems like a marked improvement.
    Link to this post 28 Apr 09

In, my opinion, best release yet. I was disappointed by the lack of improvements in 8.10. But, jaunty really seems like a marked improvement.

• jdeslip
    RE: Linux Desktop Wishlist
    [b]Khabi wrote:[/b] [quote]Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go. Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.[/quote] Is this the way VMWare does it? I am worried about robust the mapping of direct3d to opengl is. We all that lots of windows games don't work in wine for example. VMWare's implementation seems pretty robust, though.
    Link to this post 23 Apr 09

Khabi wrote:

Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go.

Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.

Is this the way VMWare does it? I am worried about robust the mapping of direct3d to opengl is. We all that lots of windows games don't work in wine for example. VMWare's implementation seems pretty robust, though.

• jdeslip
    Hey. To each his own... I think being able to watch all web-based video (ABC,ESPN360,Netflix) is pretty important in getting more users. I think eye candy is also important for this. Perhaps what we disagree on is whether linux really needs these types of users... I am guessing you think, no.
    Link to this post 23 Apr 09

Hey. To each his own...

I think being able to watch all web-based video (ABC,ESPN360,Netflix) is pretty important in getting more users. I think eye candy is also important for this. Perhaps what we disagree on is whether linux really needs these types of users... I am guessing you think, no.

• jdeslip
    I use both Fedora and Ubuntu. Although, I admit, the desktop experience on those two is pretty close. I complained about certain features of certain programs, because those are the closest programs to satisfying my desires that exists. I compained about lack of automatic bookmarking in Banshee because I find it closest to perfect among the audio players. Amarok is close second but I like banshee better because it integrates better with GNOME. I complained about things in VirtualBox because to me it is the closest VM solution to my (as a desktop user) desire. VMware Workstation is better but it is 100's of dollars so I exclude it. Does apt-spy just find the best mirror? Would it actually help me install medibuntu for example? Or, better yet, tell me that something like medibuntu exists. Not to put down other distros (the more the merrier), but I think it is particularly important because that is the distro potential new users are most likely to see. It would be good if the default icons didn't look like they are from the 90's.
    Link to this post 22 Apr 09

I use both Fedora and Ubuntu. Although, I admit, the desktop experience on those two is pretty close.

I complained about certain features of certain programs, because those are the closest programs to satisfying my desires that exists.

I compained about lack of automatic bookmarking in Banshee because I find it closest to perfect among the audio players. Amarok is close second but I like banshee better because it integrates better with GNOME.

I complained about things in VirtualBox because to me it is the closest VM solution to my (as a desktop user) desire. VMware Workstation is better but it is 100's of dollars so I exclude it.

Does apt-spy just find the best mirror? Would it actually help me install medibuntu for example? Or, better yet, tell me that something like medibuntu exists.

Not to put down other distros (the more the merrier), but I think it is particularly important because that is the distro potential new users are most likely to see. It would be good if the default icons didn't look like they are from the 90's.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board