• Last Logged In: 4 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mfillpot
    RE: Arch Linux in Virtual Box
    By default, Arch does not setup user accounts. The user must set them themselves and I advise against using videos as tutorial for potentially complicated actions. The wiki provides more than enough information to complete your required action. Last weekend, I performed successful installations of Arch 32-bit and 64-bit in virtualbox using the instructions on the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide) and had no issues. It looks like you missed the step in the wiki installation page labeled "Mount the partitions". If you in fact pre-mounted them under /mnt before running genfstab then, they should be picked up. If the genfstab did not work correctly, then it is easy enough to correct the mount points during installation by manually modifying the fstab file.
    Link to this post 4 days ago

By default, Arch does not setup user accounts. The user must set them themselves and I advise against using videos as tutorial for potentially complicated actions. The wiki provides more than enough information to complete your required action.

Last weekend, I performed successful installations of Arch 32-bit and 64-bit in virtualbox using the instructions on the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide) and had no issues.

It looks like you missed the step in the wiki installation page labeled "Mount the partitions". If you in fact pre-mounted them under /mnt before running genfstab then, they should be picked up.

If the genfstab did not work correctly, then it is easy enough to correct the mount points during installation by manually modifying the fstab file.

• mfillpot
    RE: Dual Booting
    As far as I know the wubi installer no longer exists, so you will need to shrink some of the partitions on your system to make room for ubuntu to be installed. Lead at least 50GB of unallocated disk space for ubuntu. Once you have space, you can boot from an installation usb of disk image and install in the free space, thee bootloader should automatically load itself for dual booting.
    Link to this post 30 Apr

As far as I know the wubi installer no longer exists, so you will need to shrink some of the partitions on your system to make room for ubuntu to be installed. Lead at least 50GB of unallocated disk space for ubuntu. Once you have space, you can boot from an installation usb of disk image and install in the free space, thee bootloader should automatically load itself for dual booting.

• mfillpot
    RE: Linuxmint katya live distro/ can't install as i can't make sense of Partition tool/
    You have been in the windows world for far too long, Linux based systems will not install in a fat, ntfs or any other windows based filesystem because they do not support proper simplified permissions. You will need to set the partition(s) to native linux based filesystems such as ext3, ext4, btrfs, resiserfs, etc.. I you want that computer to just contain Ubuntu then I recommend setting up a 8Gb swap partition and a single ext4 filesystem as / (root), that will work for now without having to fight with insufficient partitions. If you want a dual boot system then you would need to shrink the windows partitions, make a fat partition to share data between the two system then setup swap and ext4 partitions for ubuntu. Swap is overflow memory for RAM similar to the paging file in windows except that the size is not dynamic so it will read and write faster and it does not get stored in a partition with data so it will not congest a usable partition.
    Link to this post 27 Apr

You have been in the windows world for far too long, Linux based systems will not install in a fat, ntfs or any other windows based filesystem because they do not support proper simplified permissions. You will need to set the partition(s) to native linux based filesystems such as ext3, ext4, btrfs, resiserfs, etc..

I you want that computer to just contain Ubuntu then I recommend setting up a 8Gb swap partition and a single ext4 filesystem as / (root), that will work for now without having to fight with insufficient partitions. If you want a dual boot system then you would need to shrink the windows partitions, make a fat partition to share data between the two system then setup swap and ext4 partitions for ubuntu.

Swap is overflow memory for RAM similar to the paging file in windows except that the size is not dynamic so it will read and write faster and it does not get stored in a partition with data so it will not congest a usable partition.

• mfillpot
    RE: Linux Store
    First, I highly recommend posting a new topic so that it does not clutter existing posts. 2nd, I cannot talk about that specific motherboard but it is very similar to the one that I am using in my desktop, it is very stable without major hardware issues, the only issue that I have is with the fact that it it will not boot a linux image from a flash drive, it only supports windows based flash drives in the bios, all installations will need to be done from disk.
    Link to this post 27 Apr

First, I highly recommend posting a new topic so that it does not clutter existing posts.

2nd, I cannot talk about that specific motherboard but it is very similar to the one that I am using in my desktop, it is very stable without major hardware issues, the only issue that I have is with the fact that it it will not boot a linux image from a flash drive, it only supports windows based flash drives in the bios, all installations will need to be done from disk.

• mfillpot
    RE: What Linux OS to start with (Details in post)
    To really learn the guts within a Linux based distro, I feel it would be best to start with gentoo, debian, slackware or arch as they default to the command line and force you to learn more about the core. My course for learning is exactly what you were describing, I removed all occurrences of windows from my computers when I was in college and installed only Slackware. The immediate need for productivity forced me to quickly learn and become familiar with the base system and utilities in order to complete my course work. This may sound bias, but I highly recommend starting with Slackware as it is a core OS, but the full install included everything and the kitchen sink so you are not constantly poking around the multitude of tools to find a preferred tool. If you choose to start with slack, then I will try to visit the site more often to help with your questions.
    Link to this post 22 Apr

To really learn the guts within a Linux based distro, I feel it would be best to start with gentoo, debian, slackware or arch as they default to the command line and force you to learn more about the core.

My course for learning is exactly what you were describing, I removed all occurrences of windows from my computers when I was in college and installed only Slackware. The immediate need for productivity forced me to quickly learn and become familiar with the base system and utilities in order to complete my course work. This may sound bias, but I highly recommend starting with Slackware as it is a core OS, but the full install included everything and the kitchen sink so you are not constantly poking around the multitude of tools to find a preferred tool.

If you choose to start with slack, then I will try to visit the site more often to help with your questions.

• mfillpot
    RE: Help with Grub/Filesystem
    In order to assist we would need to know what error messages are being populated in the Grub command line.
    Link to this post 22 Apr

In order to assist we would need to know what error messages are being populated in the Grub command line.

• mfillpot
    RE: Driver for HP Deskjet 1010
    hplip is generally installed inmost linux distros as a default entity, it works with cups to provide extra support for HP based devices. I have checked their compatibility list (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/deskjet.html) and your printer appears to be supported with the drivers included in the current release of hplip. You should just have to install hplip from the package manager of your chosen distro.
    Link to this post 14 Apr

hplip is generally installed inmost linux distros as a default entity, it works with cups to provide extra support for HP based devices. I have checked their compatibility list (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/deskjet.html) and your printer appears to be supported with the drivers included in the current release of hplip. You should just have to install hplip from the package manager of your chosen distro.

• mfillpot
    RE: Howe can i download stuff from internet?
    You can download the .deb files to a location on your hard drive, then either double click to prompt the package manager for installation of use dpkg, such as "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/file.deb" We always recommend the use of the package manager and official repos because it satisfies dependencies and installs trusted packages. If the location of the files is a repo server then you can just add it to your list to simplify updates. If it is just a site with deb files then I recommend caution because the installations are run with root rights and malicious code can cause real damage.
    Link to this post 14 Apr

You can download the .deb files to a location on your hard drive, then either double click to prompt the package manager for installation of use dpkg, such as "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/file.deb"

We always recommend the use of the package manager and official repos because it satisfies dependencies and installs trusted packages. If the location of the files is a repo server then you can just add it to your list to simplify updates. If it is just a site with deb files then I recommend caution because the installations are run with root rights and malicious code can cause real damage.

• mfillpot
    RE: Images are not showing in my website
    Ok, then the permissions are the caus. The files are created under nobody, but the http daemon does not have access to those files. Please read the post at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/580584/setting-default-permissions-for-newly-created-files-and-sub-directories-under-a for a hint. You can also check the manual for the http server to see if you can change the default cache image permissions.
    Link to this post 21 Jan

Ok, then the permissions are the caus. The files are created under nobody, but the http daemon does not have access to those files. Please read the post at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/580584/setting-default-permissions-for-newly-created-files-and-sub-directories-under-a for a hint. You can also check the manual for the http server to see if you can change the default cache image permissions.

• mfillpot
    RE: Images are not showing in my website
    It sounds like the reference location to the images within the webpages is incorrect. Have you tried checking the image location on the webpages and comparing it against the filesystem location where the images are located? Additionally the permission on the images or image directory may be incorrect, make sure that the file and directory permissions match the permissions that are used on the pages that are being displayed.
    Link to this post 14 Jan

It sounds like the reference location to the images within the webpages is incorrect. Have you tried checking the image location on the webpages and comparing it against the filesystem location where the images are located?

Additionally the permission on the images or image directory may be incorrect, make sure that the file and directory permissions match the permissions that are used on the pages that are being displayed.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board