mfillpot

• Last Logged In: 28 minutes ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mfillpot
    RE: Where to install a missing firmware during the installation ?
    the usb drive can be mounted onto any empty directory, the location has nothing to do with what is to be used. Once the volume is mapped and mounted you can follow the manufacturers instructions to complete the installation.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

the usb drive can be mounted onto any empty directory, the location has nothing to do with what is to be used.

Once the volume is mapped and mounted you can follow the manufacturers instructions to complete the installation.

• mfillpot
    RE: [Lubuntu] Monting automatically an network shared folder with fstab
    It sounds like the windows clent computer do not have the shares mapped as persistant. When mapping the external shares be sure to use the options to map persistance and use other credentials, when those are used windows will store the credentials for the users and auto-map the shares.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

It sounds like the windows clent computer do not have the shares mapped as persistant. When mapping the external shares be sure to use the options to map persistance and use other credentials, when those are used windows will store the credentials for the users and auto-map the shares.

• mfillpot
    RE: Start Service
    you can use the following command. [code]systemctl start dbus-org.freedesktop.timedate1.service [/code] I do not use a dbus platforms, so I cannot help much more beyond pointing you to the post I found on the siduction forum [url=http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4259.0]here[/url]. I know that the siduction group is very knowledgable and you will find very good information that pertains to multiple Linux based systems on their site.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

you can use the following command.

systemctl start dbus-org.freedesktop.timedate1.service 

I do not use a dbus platforms, so I cannot help much more beyond pointing you to the post I found on the siduction forum here. I know that the siduction group is very knowledgable and you will find very good information that pertains to multiple Linux based systems on their site.

• mfillpot
    RE: Wi-Fi credentials security
    Many embedded plaforms have no root password by default, which is to allow the administrator to easily enter the system on the first boot and change the password to a new password of their choosing. Failure to change the password can and most likely will result in many security issues including extracting the passwd file, installing malicious software, modifying configurations, etc... In my opinion, anyone who does not change the default or null passwords immediately is not a good administrator and probably should not have access to those resources in the first place.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

Many embedded plaforms have no root password by default, which is to allow the administrator to easily enter the system on the first boot and change the password to a new password of their choosing. Failure to change the password can and most likely will result in many security issues including extracting the passwd file, installing malicious software, modifying configurations, etc...

In my opinion, anyone who does not change the default or null passwords immediately is not a good administrator and probably should not have access to those resources in the first place.

• mfillpot
    RE: Mult- media breakdown
    I am not going to try to go through all of the steps to try to resolve your issue or state I know exactly what will resolve this issue, however based upon your input it sounds like the driver for the device in the kernel may have changed between releases and introduced bugs that are effecting your hardware. If you agree then it would be best to submit the issue as a bug to the ubuntu developers by following the instructions at [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs]help.ubuntu.com[/url], after they receive and review your inquiry they can assign it to one of their kernel developers to further research the issue and hopefully fix it for all effected users.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

I am not going to try to go through all of the steps to try to resolve your issue or state I know exactly what will resolve this issue, however based upon your input it sounds like the driver for the device in the kernel may have changed between releases and introduced bugs that are effecting your hardware.

If you agree then it would be best to submit the issue as a bug to the ubuntu developers by following the instructions at help.ubuntu.com, after they receive and review your inquiry they can assign it to one of their kernel developers to further research the issue and hopefully fix it for all effected users.

• mfillpot
    RE: [SOLVED] Mouse problems
    Other users of the RAT mice have experienced similar issues because the mouse has additional buttons and options that deviate from the standard devices. I found a thread at [url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/451080/ubuntu-14-04-mouse-and-window-focus-issues]ask.ubuntu.com[/url] in which a RAT5 user was able to resolve their issue by modifying the mouse configuration file with the same solution that is used for the RAT7 mice. I recommend reading that post and trying the same.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

Other users of the RAT mice have experienced similar issues because the mouse has additional buttons and options that deviate from the standard devices. I found a thread at ask.ubuntu.com in which a RAT5 user was able to resolve their issue by modifying the mouse configuration file with the same solution that is used for the RAT7 mice. I recommend reading that post and trying the same.

• mfillpot
    RE: Minecraft on Chromebook
    Crouton is just an extension, you must be in developer mode to use it for a linux machine installation. As a note, under crouton you are installing a linux version within the base OS (Chrome). This will immediately require more memory and cpu cycles than a native installation. On top of that minecraft is a java based application that tries to take over all resources. If you wish to install minecraft within a crouton based OS, within the chrome OS on a low resource chromebook then expect it to run very badly if at all. The instructions for installing ubuntu on a chromebook using crouton can be found [url=http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/795730-how-to-easily-install-ubuntu-on-chromebook-with-crouton]here[/url],
    Link to this post 05 Jan

Crouton is just an extension, you must be in developer mode to use it for a linux machine installation. As a note, under crouton you are installing a linux version within the base OS (Chrome). This will immediately require more memory and cpu cycles than a native installation. On top of that minecraft is a java based application that tries to take over all resources. If you wish to install minecraft within a crouton based OS, within the chrome OS on a low resource chromebook then expect it to run very badly if at all.

The instructions for installing ubuntu on a chromebook using crouton can be found here,

• mfillpot
    RE: How to install open cloud?
    The general term cloud itself can be quite confusing, just think of it as high redundancy offsite resources. There is cloud storage which is storing your data in a redundant offsite location which in most cases can easily be synced. This is what owncloud is doing, but it lacks the redundancy. Then there is cloud computing which is when a virtual machine for an operating system in installed in a cloud cluster machine, which can offer offsite processing, faster processing and it removes location dependence. However to use this platform you must accept that another business is holding your data and can control your cloud machine, due to this I highly recommend reading the terms of service for the services carefully to userstand the potential risk. Then there are cloud services such as SAAS (Software as a service), which is using the cloud infrastructure to deliver an application through the web browser. IF you wish to try a cloud computing then please look at the article at [url=http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ec2-launch-instance_linux.html]aws.amazon.com[/url] for instuctions to start a cloud instance of a linux based machine.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

The general term cloud itself can be quite confusing, just think of it as high redundancy offsite resources.

There is cloud storage which is storing your data in a redundant offsite location which in most cases can easily be synced. This is what owncloud is doing, but it lacks the redundancy.

Then there is cloud computing which is when a virtual machine for an operating system in installed in a cloud cluster machine, which can offer offsite processing, faster processing and it removes location dependence. However to use this platform you must accept that another business is holding your data and can control your cloud machine, due to this I highly recommend reading the terms of service for the services carefully to userstand the potential risk.

Then there are cloud services such as SAAS (Software as a service), which is using the cloud infrastructure to deliver an application through the web browser.

IF you wish to try a cloud computing then please look at the article at aws.amazon.com for instuctions to start a cloud instance of a linux based machine.

• mfillpot
    RE: When I start my laptop all my files are gone
    I am late to the conversation, but it sound like the first attempt was just run from the USB stick and not installed. The second attempt appears to have installed successfully, but the bootloader is not recognized which is why it is looking for the windows bootloader. It may be a case where EUFI is enabled on the system and the non-EUFI bootloader was installed and configured. If you reinstall ubuntu and follow the instructions at [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI]help.ubuntu.com[/url], then the bootloader will automatically find the windows installation and correct the boot issue for windows while granting the option of system at boot time..
    Link to this post 05 Jan

I am late to the conversation, but it sound like the first attempt was just run from the USB stick and not installed. The second attempt appears to have installed successfully, but the bootloader is not recognized which is why it is looking for the windows bootloader. It may be a case where EUFI is enabled on the system and the non-EUFI bootloader was installed and configured. If you reinstall ubuntu and follow the instructions at help.ubuntu.com, then the bootloader will automatically find the windows installation and correct the boot issue for windows while granting the option of system at boot time..

• mfillpot
    RE: Need help with script
    Have you considered adding the timestamp on the subject to simplify output and using the -q option to send the file contents? Another option would be to output the timestamp into a file in tmp, then append the testfile on the end, send the file as the message and then delete the temp file. The second option is below: [code]TSTAMP ='date + %Y%m%d%H%M%S' filepath=/temp/ temppath=/tmp/ filename=testfile.$TSTAMP cat ${TSTAMP}>\tmp\${filename} cat ${filepath}${filename}>>${temppath}${filename} mail -q ${temppath}${filename} -s "test email" test@testemail.com rm ${temppath}${filename}[/code]
    Link to this post 05 Jan

Have you considered adding the timestamp on the subject to simplify output and using the -q option to send the file contents?

Another option would be to output the timestamp into a file in tmp, then append the testfile on the end, send the file as the message and then delete the temp file.

The second option is below:

TSTAMP ='date + %Y%m%d%H%M%S'
    filepath=/temp/
    temppath=/tmp/
    filename=testfile.$TSTAMP

cat ${TSTAMP}>\tmp\${filename}
    cat ${filepath}${filename}>>${temppath}${filename}

mail -q ${temppath}${filename} -s "test email" test@testemail.com

rm ${temppath}${filename}

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board