• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 17 Jun 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Ian Blaise
    RE: Books for C/C++ Development on Linux?
    [b]Ris wrote:[/b] [quote]I recommend this book: [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449906028/ref=oss_product[/url][/quote] Looks great, I think i'll be purchasing that sometime this week unless I can find an ebook, dont really like ebooks though.
    Link to this post 17 Jun 10

Ris wrote:

I recommend this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449906028/ref=oss_product

Looks great, I think i'll be purchasing that sometime this week unless I can find an ebook, dont really like ebooks though.

• Ian Blaise
    Thanks :) Already got it though :P Still having trouble with net beans though. I can do Java applications but I'm only interesting in C++ :O Javas nice, just not my thing lol
    Link to this post 03 Jun 10

Already got it though :P

Still having trouble with net beans though.
    I can do Java applications but I'm only interesting in C++ :O

Javas nice, just not my thing lol

• Ian Blaise
    Oh I see, thank ya, I'll give that a try as soon as my updates are complete (probably just like 5 mins from the time of this post)

Oh I see, thank ya, I'll give that a try as soon as my updates are complete (probably just like 5 mins from the time of this post)

• Ian Blaise
    The error's are just that the libaries aren't there.... and EXIT_SUCCESS would be part of the library that it's missing. So basically I just need to know what i need to get to get C++ Fully working with net beans; Other than the plugins. And thanks for the info on KOffice, there site was saying I must compile from source.. so yeah, didn't even try the to install from terminal :D what exactly is yum btw? I've used it for installing apps, but there all just from guides, so not totally sure what it's function is, or it's meaning anyways. [quote] [root@Ian ~]# yum install koffice Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 4445. Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit... The other application is: PackageKit Memory : 22 M RSS (316 MB VSZ) Started: Wed Jun 2 16:58:43 2010 - 00:06 ago State : Sleeping, pid: 4445 Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile * fedora: mirrors.xmission.com * rpmfusion-free: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu * updates: mirrors.xmission.com Setting up Install Process No package koffice available. Nothing to do [/quote]

The error's are just that the libaries aren't there....
    and EXIT_SUCCESS would be part of the library that it's missing.

So basically I just need to know what i need to get to get C++ Fully working with net beans; Other than the plugins.

And thanks for the info on KOffice, there site was saying I must compile from source.. so yeah, didn't even try the to install from terminal :D

what exactly is yum btw?
    I've used it for installing apps, but there all just from guides, so not totally sure what it's function is, or it's meaning anyways.

[root@Ian ~]# yum install koffice
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 4445.
    Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
    The other application is: PackageKit
    Memory : 22 M RSS (316 MB VSZ)
    Started: Wed Jun 2 16:58:43 2010 - 00:06 ago
    State : Sleeping, pid: 4445
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * fedora: mirrors.xmission.com
    * rpmfusion-free: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * updates: mirrors.xmission.com
    Setting up Install Process
    No package koffice available.
    Nothing to do

• Ian Blaise
    Sorry for the double post, but how can I get C++ working on NetBeans? I installed the plugin for C++ on the NetBeans plugin installer, and it wont even compile with the basic headers. [code] #include <-- Error /* * */ int main(int argc, char** argv) { return (EXIT_SUCCESS); <--- Error } [/code] Do I need to point to where my libraries are? Or is there another thing that I need to download for it to work?

Sorry for the double post, but how can I get C++ working on NetBeans?
    I installed the plugin for C++ on the NetBeans plugin installer, and it wont even compile with the basic headers.

#include <stdlib.h> <-- Error

/*
    */
    int main(int argc, char** argv) {

return (EXIT_SUCCESS); <--- Error
    }

Do I need to point to where my libraries are? Or is there another thing that I need to download for it to work?

• Ian Blaise
    I have been trying to install KOffice, also Code::Blocks. Instead of using code blocks im now using NetBeans, however, I would still like to use KOffice.

I have been trying to install KOffice, also Code::Blocks.
    Instead of using code blocks im now using NetBeans, however, I would still like to use KOffice.

• Ian Blaise
    I use Code::Blocks with MinGW on windows operating systems instead of VSC++ so I'm familiar with it. I went to the site to download it not too long ago, and it doesn't look like they have one for Fedora. Can you just compile it from source and have it work for any linux-based operating system? If so, how do you compile from source without an IDE already installed?
    Link to this post 02 Jun 10

I use Code::Blocks with MinGW on windows operating systems instead of VSC++ so I'm familiar with it.
    I went to the site to download it not too long ago, and it doesn't look like they have one for Fedora.

Can you just compile it from source and have it work for any linux-based operating system?
    If so, how do you compile from source without an IDE already installed?

• Ian Blaise
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm liking Fedora a lot more than windows vista. As of right now I'm resizing my partitions so I have more space on my linux system. So far everything's been going pretty smooth, just having some trouble with flash player. I've tried re-installing it, and it says it's already installed, but I can't view videos on youtube or any flash files for that matter.
    Link to this post 01 Jun 10

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm liking Fedora a lot more than windows vista.

As of right now I'm resizing my partitions so I have more space on my linux system.
    So far everything's been going pretty smooth, just having some trouble with flash player.

I've tried re-installing it, and it says it's already installed, but I can't view videos on youtube or any flash files for that matter.

• Ian Blaise
    Well I've choses Fedora. Looks appealing!

Well I've choses Fedora.
    Looks appealing!

• Ian Blaise
    Books for C/C++ Development on Linux?
    Hey everyone. Lately I've been kind of intrigued by some of the stuff I've been hearing about Linux operating systems. I personally have yet to install Linux on my box, but I have definitely been thinking about it. My main interest in computers, however, is programming. So I would like an OS that I can be assured has IDE's for C/C++, and also a nice interface. Seems I'll have to buy some more books specific to Linux on C since there isn't a win api. Any suggestions would be great. I'll do some reading around here, but I just registered so thought some recommendations would be nice. -Ian

Hey everyone.

Lately I've been kind of intrigued by some of the stuff I've been hearing about Linux operating systems.
    I personally have yet to install Linux on my box, but I have definitely been thinking about it.

My main interest in computers, however, is programming. So I would like an OS that I can be assured has IDE's for C/C++, and also a nice interface. Seems I'll have to buy some more books specific to Linux on C since there isn't a win api.

Any suggestions would be great.
    I'll do some reading around here, but I just registered so thought some recommendations would be nice.

-Ian

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board