• Last Logged In: 27 Jul 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • SiduS
    RE: Random people asking to be added as friends
    I'm the same way. I only add real guru's as friends. Their Blogs and profile are what interest me. I'm on Linux.com to make friends that know Linux and can help me and in turn I try to offer what I know where I can. I don't care about "Guru" status. I know my skills, and I think most people that are real Guru's don't care either :)
    Link to this post 22 May 09

I'm the same way. I only add real guru's as friends. Their Blogs and profile are what interest me. I'm on Linux.com to make friends that know Linux and can help me and in turn I try to offer what I know where I can.

I don't care about "Guru" status. I know my skills, and I think most people that are real Guru's don't care either :)

• SiduS
    RE: Blog Favorits Help
    Yeah Its not very intuitive thats for sure :) Either way ... somehow ... while clicking away trying to find it.. I did.. Don't ask me how.. but here's the URL http://linux.com/my-comments You can click on favorites in there. So if you can find a link to the My Comments app.. where ever that may be.. Or just bookmark that link :) -- Shawn
    Link to this post 16 May 09

Yeah Its not very intuitive thats for sure :)

Either way ... somehow ... while clicking away trying to find it.. I did.. Don't ask me how.. but here's the URL

http://linux.com/my-comments

You can click on favorites in there. So if you can find a link to the My Comments app.. where ever that may be.. Or just bookmark that link :)

--
    Shawn

• SiduS
    RE: Blog Favorits Help
    Yes I am referring to the Blog posts not forums. Navigation in general seems to be a bit "off". But this one I can't find anywhere :( -- Shawn

Yes I am referring to the Blog posts not forums.

Navigation in general seems to be a bit "off". But this one I can't find anywhere :(

--
    Shawn

• SiduS
    Blog Favorits Help
    Sorry if this question is answered somewhere.. But I've spent the last hour going through blog posts.. and found some really good posts that I've flagged as favorite. However, I can't find where to look them up now that their in my favorites. Can anyone point me in the right direction. -- Thanks Shawn

Sorry if this question is answered somewhere.. But I've spent the last hour going through blog posts.. and found some really good posts that I've flagged as favorite. However, I can't find where to look them up now that their in my favorites.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

--
    Thanks
    Shawn

• SiduS
    RE: Good watchdog for services?
    If the program creates a pid file you can use checkproc [b]Usage:[/b] checkproc -p [b]Example:[/b] [code]checkproc -p /var/run/daemon.pid /usr/local/daemon/daemon.pl[/code] I use this in my init scripts for all my perl daemons. It could be easily used in a bash script to check the return / exit code. [b]Example[/b] echo $? [b]Exit Codes:[/b] 0 = Running 1 = Dead but pid exists 3.= Dead and no pid You may also want to read up on startproc and killproc. I suggest starting with the man pages. There are lots of useful options that can make your bash script very powerful. Then pop it into cron to automate it. Enjoy -- Shawn
    Link to this post 14 May 09

If the program creates a pid file you can use checkproc

Usage:
    checkproc -p <pid file> <app name>

Example:

checkproc -p /var/run/daemon.pid /usr/local/daemon/daemon.pl

I use this in my init scripts for all my perl daemons.

It could be easily used in a bash script to check the return / exit code.

Example
    echo $?

Exit Codes:
    0 = Running
    1 = Dead but pid exists
    3.= Dead and no pid

You may also want to read up on startproc and killproc. I suggest starting with the man pages. There are lots of useful options that can make your bash script very powerful. Then pop it into cron to automate it.

Enjoy

--
    Shawn

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board