• Last Logged In: 30 Sep

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Matt Palmer
    RE: Linux System Restore
    Hi, you could take a look at bolting NILFS into the distro you are using: http://www.nilfs.org/en/ Its a constantly journalling filesystem, so lets you restore files you have accidentally deleted.
    Link to this post 16 Apr 11

Hi,

you could take a look at bolting NILFS into the distro you are using:

http://www.nilfs.org/en/

Its a constantly journalling filesystem, so lets you restore files you have accidentally deleted.

• Matt Palmer
    RE: upgrade my website without disturbing current load
    Hi, can you let me know your distro, whether u installed MySQL from source or RPM/apt-get. Which version of MySQL you are on currently and which version you are attempting to jump to. thanks Matt
    Link to this post 05 Apr 11

Hi,

can you let me know your distro, whether u installed MySQL from source or RPM/apt-get. Which version of MySQL you are on currently and which version you are attempting to jump to.

thanks

Matt

• Matt Palmer
    RE: upgrade my website without disturbing current load
    Hi Kushai, How do you want to modify your database?. Do you mean upgrade or change the schema, or do you mean change the database type?? Most RPM based upgrades are pretty quick. what is the traffic like to your site. could it suffer a 'blip'? If you mean upgrade whilst running your mileage may vary using several different approaches, what is the main balance of traffic to your site, is it more reads or writes? Can your site function in a read only manner for a small period of time?: you could create a readonly MySQL replica (slave) on the same server using mysqld_multi(or do a dual install of MySQL). present the slave port to your web frontend. Do the upgrade on your original MySQL server in the meantime. Drop the replica and repoint your webserver at the original MySQL port. I've done this in several installations where appropriate and its worked great! Another thing you could look into is caching the main pages to your site.
    Link to this post 05 Apr 11

Hi Kushai,

How do you want to modify your database?. Do you mean upgrade or change the schema, or do you mean change the database type??

Most RPM based upgrades are pretty quick. what is the traffic like to your site. could it suffer a 'blip'?

If you mean upgrade whilst running your mileage may vary using several different approaches, what is the main balance of traffic to your site, is it more reads or writes? Can your site function in a read only manner for a small period of time?:

you could create a readonly MySQL replica (slave) on the same server using mysqld_multi(or do a dual install of MySQL). present the slave port to your web frontend.

Do the upgrade on your original MySQL server in the meantime. Drop the replica and repoint your webserver at the original MySQL port.

I've done this in several installations where appropriate and its worked great!

Another thing you could look into is caching the main pages to your site.

• Matt Palmer
    RE: Harddisk partision unallocated
    Hi, if you want to backup you could as others have suggested boot from a liveCD and rsync the files or do a dump of the unmounted filesystem. If you are uncomfortable doing this, you could look into using some 3rd party products to help you. Mondorescue is a pretty cool utility that will basically create an ISO image of your HD, similar to Norton Ghost. Benefit of this is that using Mindi to restore this, you can either choose for the restore to basically format the destination HD just like the original, or you can do a selective filesystem restore. - Or, you can choose to do a directory level restore all from the same backup. Its pretty neat, NASA were using it at one time, not sure if they still do, but its free!! It might be a bit more help to the guys trying to help you, if you can provide a step by step list of how you config'd your system, as giving advice on redoing a partition scheme when you dont have all the facts can be a bit daunting :-) hope that helps.
    Link to this post 02 Apr 11

Hi,

if you want to backup you could as others have suggested boot from a liveCD and rsync the files or do a dump of the unmounted filesystem.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, you could look into using some 3rd party products to help you. Mondorescue is a pretty cool utility that will basically create an ISO image of your HD, similar to Norton Ghost. Benefit of this is that using Mindi to restore this, you can either choose for the restore to basically format the destination HD just like the original, or you can do a selective filesystem restore. - Or, you can choose to do a directory level restore all from the same backup.

Its pretty neat, NASA were using it at one time, not sure if they still do, but its free!!

It might be a bit more help to the guys trying to help you, if you can provide a step by step list of how you config'd your system, as giving advice on redoing a partition scheme when you dont have all the facts can be a bit daunting :-)

hope that helps.

• Matt Palmer
    RE: Welcome to Linux.com
    Hi, My name is Matt Palmer, I'm from the United Kingdom. I've been a UNIX and Linux user for a long time now, and thought that I would share some of the stuff that I have done both through my job and through just trying to figure out ways of trying to get stuff to work better. I started out with Junior UNIX experience as a sysadmin in 1995, and then around 2000 I gradually introduced open source and Linux as a server environment into the company I work for, now the business is thriving and at a fraction of the cost of some other platform vendors. Thought this would be a good place to exchange some war stories, and maybe find some like-minded people who I could chat through different ideas with, and see what other people are doing with Linux. Happy to chat with anyone! see you around the forums Matt
    Link to this post 01 Apr 11

Hi,

My name is Matt Palmer, I'm from the United Kingdom. I've been a UNIX and Linux user for a long time now, and thought that I would share some of the stuff that I have done both through my job and through just trying to figure out ways of trying to get stuff to work better.

I started out with Junior UNIX experience as a sysadmin in 1995, and then around 2000 I gradually introduced open source and Linux as a server environment into the company I work for, now the business is thriving and at a fraction of the cost of some other platform vendors.

Thought this would be a good place to exchange some war stories, and maybe find some like-minded people who I could chat through different ideas with, and see what other people are doing with Linux.

Happy to chat with anyone!

see you around the forums

Matt

• Matt Palmer
    Debian Squeeze S3 Backed custom AMI on Amazon EC2
    Hi forum, only just found the forums, have been posting in Groups instead. thought I would put a link in to my blog post on how to roll your own custom AMI of Debian Squeeze to run on S3 backed Amazons EC2 platform, as it doesnt work "straight out of the box". If anyone has any alternative ways of doing the AMI creation process (specifically of Debian Squeeze) I would love to see different approaches/ Improvements. Anyway, here it is, take a look, hope someone finds it useful.. :lol: http://www.linux.com/component/content/article/133-general-linux/412849 Now I've found the forums I'll post any future Debian stuff I do in here.
    Link to this post 01 Apr 11

Hi forum,

only just found the forums, have been posting in Groups instead.

thought I would put a link in to my blog post on how to roll your own custom AMI of Debian Squeeze to run on S3 backed Amazons EC2 platform, as it doesnt work "straight out of the box".

If anyone has any alternative ways of doing the AMI creation process (specifically of Debian Squeeze) I would love to see different approaches/ Improvements.

Anyway, here it is, take a look, hope someone finds it useful.. :lol:

http://www.linux.com/component/content/article/133-general-linux/412849

Now I've found the forums I'll post any future Debian stuff I do in here.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board