• Last Logged In: 29 Nov 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • XavierJ
    RE: Linux perf
    I just downloaded Geebench for linux and runned ./geekbench_x86_32. It outputed the results I posted. I'm not a bench expert but in my case theses benchmarks highlighted a memory problem on slitaz. And further investigation (using slabtop) revealed that it's a cache problem.
    Link to this post 29 Nov 10

I just downloaded Geebench for linux and runned ./geekbench_x86_32.

It outputed the results I posted.

I'm not a bench expert but in my case theses benchmarks highlighted a memory problem on slitaz. And further investigation (using slabtop) revealed that it's a cache problem.

• XavierJ
    It seems that it's a cache issue. Someone knows which kernel option can custom the cache size (not the hardware one of course) and/or the number of slab objects avaibles ?
    Link to this post 27 Nov 10

It seems that it's a cache issue.

Someone knows which kernel option can custom the cache size (not the hardware one of course) and/or the number of slab objects avaibles ?

• XavierJ
    I've done another bench with 0 load and it tells that the slitaz system has a memory problem. Ubuntu : Memory Read Sequential single-threaded scalar 1830 ||||||| Write Sequential single-threaded scalar 1582 |||||| Stdlib Allocate single-threaded scalar 882 ||| Stdlib Write single-threaded scalar 1267 ||||| Stdlib Copy single-threaded scalar 2546 |||||||||| Slitaz : Memory Read Sequential single-threaded scalar 1770 ||||||| Write Sequential single-threaded scalar 1525 |||||| Stdlib Allocate single-threaded scalar 809 ||| Stdlib Write single-threaded scalar 505 || Stdlib Copy single-threaded scalar 1011 |||| As you can see, the Stdlib write and copy are more than twice better on ubuntu than on slitaz. I guess this is because of my custom kernel on slitaz, but I don't know what options could improve memory management. The whole slitaz bench (ubuntu one has not changed) : [file name=geekbench_slitaz.txt size=3035]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/geekbench_slitaz.txt[/file]
    Link to this post 26 Nov 10

I've done another bench with 0 load and it tells that the slitaz system has a memory problem.

Ubuntu :

Memory
    Read Sequential
    single-threaded scalar 1830 |||||||
    Write Sequential
    single-threaded scalar 1582 ||||||
    Stdlib Allocate
    single-threaded scalar 882 |||
    Stdlib Write
    single-threaded scalar 1267 |||||
    Stdlib Copy
    single-threaded scalar 2546 ||||||||||

Slitaz :
    Memory
    Read Sequential
    single-threaded scalar 1770 |||||||
    Write Sequential
    single-threaded scalar 1525 ||||||
    Stdlib Allocate
    single-threaded scalar 809 |||
    Stdlib Write
    single-threaded scalar 505 ||
    Stdlib Copy
    single-threaded scalar 1011 ||||

As you can see, the Stdlib write and copy are more than twice better on ubuntu than on slitaz.
    I guess this is because of my custom kernel on slitaz, but I don't know what options could improve memory management.

The whole slitaz bench (ubuntu one has not changed) : [file name=geekbench_slitaz.txt size=3035]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/geekbench_slitaz.txt[/file]

• XavierJ
    Linux perf
    Hello everyone, I'm facing a performance issue on linux. I have two system on the same hardware: one ubuntu and one slitaz. Slitaz is a small distro. I use it because I need a light system. My problem is that slitaz is much slower than ubuntu. I joined the results of a benchmark done using geekbench. If you have any idea of where the problem might be please tell me. Thank you very much. [file name=geekbench.txt size=6073]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/geekbench.txt[/file]
    Link to this post 25 Nov 10

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a performance issue on linux.

I have two system on the same hardware: one ubuntu and one slitaz. Slitaz is a small distro. I use it because I need a light system.

My problem is that slitaz is much slower than ubuntu.

I joined the results of a benchmark done using geekbench.

If you have any idea of where the problem might be please tell me.

Thank you very much.

[file name=geekbench.txt size=6073]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/geekbench.txt[/file]

• XavierJ
    Restrict user to my scripts
    Hello, I'm trying to create a user which only can run some shell scripts I have write for him. I tried a restricted shell, but my scripts need to access all the system resources. I also had a look at chroot, but it requires to have a whole system in the new root directory. Is there another solution to restrict my user ? Xavier.
    Link to this post 18 Aug 10

Hello,

I'm trying to create a user which only can run some shell scripts I have write for him.

I tried a restricted shell, but my scripts need to access all the system resources. I also had a look at chroot, but it requires to have a whole system in the new root directory.

Is there another solution to restrict my user ?

Xavier.

• XavierJ
    RE: Catching usb event.
    Thank you very much for the udev tuto Jinux.
    Link to this post 16 Aug 10

Thank you very much for the udev tuto Jinux.

• XavierJ
    Catching usb event.
    Hello, What I want to do is waiting for a usb plug and mount the new device in a shell script. Is there a easy mean to do that ? Xavier.
    Link to this post 16 Aug 10

Hello,

What I want to do is waiting for a usb plug and mount the new device in a shell script.

Is there a easy mean to do that ?

Xavier.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board