• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 16 Aug 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Install ffmpeg... Only to Uninstall gnome?
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote][b]kushallinux wrote:[/b] [quote]if u remove gnome thn u wont be able to access Linux graphically[/quote] That was already decided, the purpose of this thread is to figure out why the installation of ffmpeg is stating it would cause gnome to be removed. I think Marc is on the right track to help the OP resolve his issue.[/quote] Update: After accidentally f*%!ing up my / directory while exploring a different issue, I opted to back up my pertinent data and start over. This time, I paid careful attention to which repositories were enabled during installations and upgrades. I used Wheezy only to obtain LibreOffice files before disabling the repository. It may have been around this time originally when something went wrong and synaptic attempted to pull different files from different repositories (I am still attempting to figure out what really went haywire). Thank you to everyone who helped with this curious conundrum!
    Link to this post 18 Apr 11

mfillpot wrote:

[b]kushallinux wrote:[/b]
    [quote]if u remove gnome thn u wont be able to access Linux graphically

That was already decided, the purpose of this thread is to figure out why the installation of ffmpeg is stating it would cause gnome to be removed. I think Marc is on the right track to help the OP resolve his issue.[/quote]

Update: After accidentally f*%!ing up my / directory while exploring a different issue, I opted to back up my pertinent data and start over. This time, I paid careful attention to which repositories were enabled during installations and upgrades. I used Wheezy only to obtain LibreOffice files before disabling the repository. It may have been around this time originally when something went wrong and synaptic attempted to pull different files from different repositories (I am still attempting to figure out what really went haywire). Thank you to everyone who helped with this curious conundrum!

• GrouchoMarxist
    [b]marc wrote:[/b] [quote]What happens if you try [code] apt-get instasll ffmpeg gnome [/code] You could as well use apt-cache to find out dependencies about ffmpeg... Regards[/quote] Here's what came up: [code] timothy@TheBatComputer:/$ su Password: root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get install ffmpeg gnome Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done gnome is already the newest version. Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation: The following packages have unmet dependencies: ffmpeg : Depends: libavdevice52 (>= 5:0.6.1+svn20101128) but it is not going to be installed gnome : Depends: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg (>= 0.10.10) but it is not going to be installed Recommends: gnome-office (= 1:2.30+7) but it is not going to be installed E: Broken packages root@TheBatComputer:/# [/code]
    Link to this post 15 Apr 11

marc wrote:

What happens if you try
    [code]
    apt-get instasll ffmpeg gnome
    [/code]

You could as well use apt-cache to find out dependencies about ffmpeg...

Regards

Here's what came up:

timothy@TheBatComputer:/$ su
    Password:
    root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get install ffmpeg gnome
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    gnome is already the newest version.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ffmpeg : Depends: libavdevice52 (>= 5:0.6.1+svn20101128) but it is not going to be installed
    gnome : Depends: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg (>= 0.10.10) but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: gnome-office (= 1:2.30+7) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    root@TheBatComputer:/#

• GrouchoMarxist
    [b]marc wrote: Trust me: installing programs from source, sooner or later, will give you headaches.[/quote] I concur; I used to have so many problems when I exclusively compiled from source. Now, I only undertake it when it is the only feasible option available. In regards to Goineasy9's suggestion of simulating a removal of Gnome, I have tested the following in terminal: [code] root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get -s remove gnome Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: libwpd8c2a libreoffice-gnome gtk2-engines-smooth tomboy libmono-security2.0-cil libgsf-1-common update-notifier-common libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil pnm2ppa libaiksaurus-1.2-data libhal-storage1 libmono-system2.0-cil update-notifier link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libots0 libgnomepanel2.24-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil cli-common bsh-gcj libmono-cairo2.0-cil libgexiv2-0 libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil gnome-themes-extras evolution-exchange abiword-common transmission-gtk libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil update-manager-gnome libwps-0.1-1 gdebi-core libgoffice-0.8-8-common software-center libmono-posix2.0-cil mono-runtime librasqal2 libmono-addins0.2-cil libgnome2.24-cil transmission-common gnome-codec-install shotwell libhsqldb-java-gcj update-manager-core libgoffice-0.8-8 libreoffice-gtk simple-scan python-aptdaemon liblink-grammar4 libpango1.0-common libgee2 bsh epiphany-extensions binfmt-support libwv-1.2-3 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgdome2-0 mono-gac python-vte libmatroska0 libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libglade2.0-cil libgsf-1-114 lm-sensors libart2.0-cil aptdaemon libglib2.0-cil mono-2.0-gac libgtkmathview0c2a libgconf2.0-cil python-aptdaemon-gtk fancontrol libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil gedit-plugins liferea gnome-themes-more foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-db libeggdbus-1-0 libraptor1 liferea-data libwpg-0.1-1 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 libgtk2.0-cil libloudmouth1-0 totem-mozilla min12xxw openoffice.org-gnome rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder libebml0 libgmime2.4-cil libxcb-render-util0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. The following packages will be REMOVED: gnome 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded. Remv gnome [1:2.30+7] root@TheBatComputer:/# [/code] It did not state anything about removing the gnome-desktop-environment, which would cause a massive amount of failure on an epic level. I am going to create a virtual [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matryoshka_doll]matryoshka[/url] version of Debian within Debian and remove gnome. I will report back my findings ASAP.

marc wrote:
    Trust me: installing programs from source, sooner or later, will give you headaches.[/quote]

I concur; I used to have so many problems when I exclusively compiled from source. Now, I only undertake it when it is the only feasible option available.

In regards to Goineasy9's suggestion of simulating a removal of Gnome, I have tested the following in terminal:

root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get -s remove gnome
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libwpd8c2a libreoffice-gnome gtk2-engines-smooth tomboy
    libmono-security2.0-cil libgsf-1-common update-notifier-common
    libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil pnm2ppa libaiksaurus-1.2-data
    libhal-storage1 libmono-system2.0-cil update-notifier
    link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libots0 libgnomepanel2.24-cil
    libmono-corlib2.0-cil cli-common bsh-gcj libmono-cairo2.0-cil libgexiv2-0
    libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil gnome-themes-extras evolution-exchange
    abiword-common transmission-gtk libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil
    update-manager-gnome libwps-0.1-1 gdebi-core libgoffice-0.8-8-common
    software-center libmono-posix2.0-cil mono-runtime librasqal2
    libmono-addins0.2-cil libgnome2.24-cil transmission-common
    gnome-codec-install shotwell libhsqldb-java-gcj update-manager-core
    libgoffice-0.8-8 libreoffice-gtk simple-scan python-aptdaemon
    liblink-grammar4 libpango1.0-common libgee2 bsh epiphany-extensions
    binfmt-support libwv-1.2-3 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgdome2-0 mono-gac
    python-vte libmatroska0 libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libglade2.0-cil
    libgsf-1-114 lm-sensors libart2.0-cil aptdaemon libglib2.0-cil mono-2.0-gac
    libgtkmathview0c2a libgconf2.0-cil python-aptdaemon-gtk fancontrol
    libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil gedit-plugins liferea gnome-themes-more
    foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-db libeggdbus-1-0 libraptor1 liferea-data
    libwpg-0.1-1 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 libgtk2.0-cil
    libloudmouth1-0 totem-mozilla min12xxw openoffice.org-gnome
    rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder libebml0 libgmime2.4-cil libxcb-render-util0
    libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    gnome
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    Remv gnome [1:2.30+7]
    root@TheBatComputer:/#

It did not state anything about removing the gnome-desktop-environment, which would cause a massive amount of failure on an epic level. I am going to create a virtual matryoshka version of Debian within Debian and remove gnome. I will report back my findings ASAP.

• GrouchoMarxist
    [b]atreyu wrote:[/b] [quote]Marc, FYI, I get the problem when I am trying to install a package that is not in my mainline "approved" repo, but is some other repo that i've temporarily enabled to install some specific thing. That repo may have different opinions about package versions that it needs, etc.. and it is far easier to do the *wrong* thing and install it from scratch. I have not created any additional problems for myself doing just that.[/quote] Good point; I removed the repos from Wheezy and Sid, as I thought those may have caused the problem. This is still a most perplexing issue.

atreyu wrote:

Marc,

FYI, I get the problem when I am trying to install a package that is not in my mainline "approved" repo, but is some other repo that i've temporarily enabled to install some specific thing. That repo may have different opinions about package versions that it needs, etc.. and it is far easier to do the *wrong* thing and install it from scratch. I have not created any additional problems for myself doing just that.

Good point; I removed the repos from Wheezy and Sid, as I thought those may have caused the problem. This is still a most perplexing issue.

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: The Canterbury Project
    [b]vtel57 wrote:[/b] [quote]Heh! Being down here in sunny Florida, I also happen to have some rather nice tracts of swamp land. ;)[/quote] Swamp lands are grand, but can they support vegetation? I know of a remote farm near Lincolnshire where Mrs. Buckley lives... Every July, peas grow there.

vtel57 wrote:

Heh! Being down here in sunny Florida, I also happen to have some rather nice tracts of swamp land. ;)

Swamp lands are grand, but can they support vegetation? I know of a remote farm near Lincolnshire where Mrs. Buckley lives... Every July, peas grow there.

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Want linux for offline development.
    [b]ColeLIS wrote:[/b] [quote]I'm looking to add linux to a laptop (about a year old) but want to also keep the windows 7. Considering a partition. My primary code language is php... any release suggestions?[/quote] If you are interested in trying out Linux without deleting Windows 7 from your hard drive, I would recommend running a distribution as a virtual operating system. I usually use [url=http://www.virtualbox.org/]VirtualBox[/url] for running Windows applications which do not run as smoothly in Wine. In terms of your first distribution, I found Ubuntu to be an excellent "sandbox" system for exploring the differences and similarities between Windows and *NIX based systems.

ColeLIS wrote:

I'm looking to add linux to a laptop (about a year old) but want to also keep the windows 7. Considering a partition.
    My primary code language is php... any release suggestions?

If you are interested in trying out Linux without deleting Windows 7 from your hard drive, I would recommend running a distribution as a virtual operating system. I usually use VirtualBox for running Windows applications which do not run as smoothly in Wine.

In terms of your first distribution, I found Ubuntu to be an excellent "sandbox" system for exploring the differences and similarities between Windows and *NIX based systems.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board