• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 16 Aug 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • GrouchoMarxist
    Best Directory for Personal info/man/reference documents?
    I am interested in creating my own "how-to" and "faq" .txt documents for quick reference on my Debian GNU/Linux system. These documents contain sample code for programs like abcde and other cli applications I use daily in the event of my forgetting syntax and the like. I've reviewed information on the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard]Filesystem Hierarchy Standard[/url] but I am still confused as to what to do. If it exists, Which directory would you recommend I store these documents in? I would like to implement these suggestions on all my machines.
    Link to this post 08 Jan 12

I am interested in creating my own "how-to" and "faq" .txt documents for quick reference on my Debian GNU/Linux system. These documents contain sample code for programs like abcde and other cli applications I use daily in the event of my forgetting syntax and the like.

I've reviewed information on the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard but I am still confused as to what to do.

If it exists, Which directory would you recommend I store these documents in? I would like to implement these suggestions on all my machines.

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Show Us Your Linux Desktop
    "TheBatComputer runs Debian GNU/Linux..." [url=http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6748/screenshotlng.png][img size=150]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6748/screenshotlng.th.png[/img][/url]
    Link to this post 07 Jul 11

"TheBatComputer runs Debian GNU/Linux..."

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Gnome3 & Unity
    [b]RickSMO wrote:[/b] [quote]...GNOME 3...[/quote] [quote]...Unity...[/quote] [b]Goineasy9 wrote:[/b] [quote]LOL, I like the Coke vs. Pepsi analogy. [/quote] Oh, look. [url=http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/heritage/cokelore_newcoke.html]New Coke.[/url]
    Link to this post 07 Jul 11

RickSMO wrote:

...GNOME 3...

...Unity...

Goineasy9 wrote:

LOL, I like the Coke vs. Pepsi analogy.

Oh, look.
    New Coke.

• GrouchoMarxist
    Configuring Tor, Vidalia and Tor Button
    For the past 24+ hours, I have been trying to get Tor, Vidalia and the Tor Button to work and stay working. I say this because, for the brief span of a few hours, I not only had an anonymous IP address, but a random one as well. Shortly thereafter, I started experiencing problems. I checked my log files and it would say something to the effect of not being able to bind 127.0.0.1 to port 9050. I have read the manual over and over and I still cannot get it to work nor do I understand how/what to fix. Can anyone here help me figure out how to set up tor, vidalia and the tor button to work and keep working? I am running Debian "Squeeze." [i]Update: when I [code]su apt-get install polipo[/code], the following occurs: Setting up polipo (1.0.4.1-1.1) ... Starting polipo: Couldn't open config file /etc/polipo/config: 2. invoke-rc.d: initscript polipo, action "start" failed. dpkg: error processing polipo (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1 configured to not write apport reports Errors were encountered while processing: polipo E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) How do I resolve this error?[/i] Update to the update: I solved the error by creating the missing file in /etc/polipo/config. apt-get remove was then able to remove it :)
    Link to this post 05 Jul 11

For the past 24+ hours, I have been trying to get Tor, Vidalia and the Tor Button to work and stay working. I say this because, for the brief span of a few hours, I not only had an anonymous IP address, but a random one as well. Shortly thereafter, I started experiencing problems. I checked my log files and it would say something to the effect of not being able to bind 127.0.0.1 to port 9050. I have read the manual over and over and I still cannot get it to work nor do I understand how/what to fix.

Can anyone here help me figure out how to set up tor, vidalia and the tor button to work and keep working? I am running Debian "Squeeze."

Update: when I

su apt-get install polipo
    , the following occurs:

Setting up polipo (1.0.4.1-1.1) ...
    Starting polipo: Couldn't open config file /etc/polipo/config: 2.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript polipo, action "start" failed.
    dpkg: error processing polipo (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    configured to not write apport reports
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    polipo
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

How do I resolve this error?

Update to the update: I solved the error by creating the missing file in /etc/polipo/config. apt-get remove was then able to remove it :)

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Program for Viewing Mailings Lists via CLI?
    [b]marc wrote:[/b] [quote][b]GrouchoMarxist wrote:[/b] [quote]I'm using Debian "Squeeze" on my laptop and have just made my first steps towards utilizing mailing lists in addition to online forums. What would you consider to be the best cli program for viewing and posting onto mailing lists?[/quote] In one word: mutt[/quote] You, sir, have just won +1,000 Internets, redeemable at your nearest Internet.
    Link to this post 04 Jul 11

marc wrote:

[b]GrouchoMarxist wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I'm using Debian "Squeeze" on my laptop and have just made my first steps towards utilizing mailing lists in addition to online forums. What would you consider to be the best cli program for viewing and posting onto mailing lists?

In one word: mutt[/quote]

You, sir, have just won +1,000 Internets, redeemable at your nearest Internet.

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Does anyone really need to root Android?
    A coworker of mine rooted his phone because of its poor performance prior to rooting; now, his phone's battery lasts longer and performs more smoothly. I've recently rooted my phone, partly as an intellectual curiosity and partly as a way to circumnavigate having to use Google's built in tools. (I'm disconcerted about recent and upcoming "features" from said company.)

A coworker of mine rooted his phone because of its poor performance prior to rooting; now, his phone's battery lasts longer and performs more smoothly.

I've recently rooted my phone, partly as an intellectual curiosity and partly as a way to circumnavigate having to use Google's built in tools. (I'm disconcerted about recent and upcoming "features" from said company.)

• GrouchoMarxist
    Program for Viewing Mailings Lists via CLI?
    I'm using Debian "Squeeze" on my laptop and have just made my first steps towards utilizing mailing lists in addition to online forums. What would you consider to be the best cli program for viewing and posting onto mailing lists?

I'm using Debian "Squeeze" on my laptop and have just made my first steps towards utilizing mailing lists in addition to online forums. What would you consider to be the best cli program for viewing and posting onto mailing lists?

• GrouchoMarxist
    Pairing HTC Wildfire ("Bee") with Squeeze
    I've been having some difficulty pairing my new Android-based smartphone with my Debian system. Has anyone here had an success with pairing their Android smartphone with their Debian system for sharing files? I'm using an HTC Wildfire ("Bee") running kernel v2.0.1

I've been having some difficulty pairing my new Android-based smartphone with my Debian system. Has anyone here had an success with pairing their Android smartphone with their Debian system for sharing files?

I'm using an HTC Wildfire ("Bee") running kernel v2.0.1

• GrouchoMarxist
    Bittorrent Turns 10!
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/decentralization/message/3160 It's amazing to think it has only been a decade since the release of the revolutionary Bittorrent p2p system. This protocol has been the largest attraction for new users of Linux I have talked to over the years. Thanks to the global community, It's amazing how we can truly share free information with others anytime, anywhere.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/decentralization/message/3160

It's amazing to think it has only been a decade since the release of the revolutionary Bittorrent p2p system. This protocol has been the largest attraction for new users of Linux I have talked to over the years. Thanks to the global community, It's amazing how we can truly share free information with others anytime, anywhere.

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Non- "WYSIWYG" Text Editing?
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]My favorite non-wysiwyg editor for documentation is texmaker (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) , it will make it a little bit easier to make clean LaTeX document for postscript or PDF output.[/quote] Thank you for posting this link! I am currently su apt-getting it right now. :) Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.
    Link to this post 31 May 11

mfillpot wrote:

My favorite non-wysiwyg editor for documentation is texmaker (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) , it will make it a little bit easier to make clean LaTeX document for postscript or PDF output.

Thank you for posting this link! I am currently su apt-getting it right now. :)

Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board