• Last Logged In: 06 Nov 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • odlevakp
    RE: Lost Internet
    Try this to obtain an IP address from your DHCP server: [code]sudo dhclient eth0 [/code] After this start a browser and try to display a web page... If it didn't help try to "reset" the network manager state and reboot your computer. [code]sudo rm -f /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state [/code]
    Link to this post 11 Aug 11

Try this to obtain an IP address from your DHCP server:

sudo dhclient eth0 

After this start a browser and try to display a web page...

If it didn't help try to "reset" the network manager state and reboot your computer.

sudo rm -f /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state 

• odlevakp
    RE: Installing HP printer in Ubuntu 11.04 server
    Printers can be easily configured using [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Unix_Printing_System]CUPS[/url]. Ubuntu server should have all required packages installed, to check if they are run: [code] # dpkg -l cups # service cups status Status of Common Unix Printing System: cupsd is running. [/code] If CUPS is not running start it, then you can access it on http://localhost:631 . This works also on your desktop installation, but since, I suppose, you don't have a running X server on your Ubuntu server you'll have to make it listen on all interfaces instead of localhost and add [i]Allow from all[/i] or only your IP address accordingly. [code] # vim /etc/cups/cupsd.conf Listen 0.0.0.0:631 [ ... ] Order allow,deny Allow from all Order allow,deny Allow from all [ ... ] # service cups restart [/code] After that if you go to https://SERVER_IP:631 you can add your printer. After you are done adding your printer set CUPS back to listen on localhost only.
    Link to this post 10 Jul 11

Printers can be easily configured using CUPS. Ubuntu server should have all required packages installed, to check if they are run:

# dpkg -l cups

# service cups status
    Status of Common Unix Printing System: cupsd is running.

If CUPS is not running start it, then you can access it on http://localhost:631 . This works also on your desktop
    installation, but since, I suppose, you don't have a running X server on your Ubuntu server you'll have to make it listen
    on all interfaces instead of localhost and add Allow from all or only your IP address accordingly.

# vim /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Listen 0.0.0.0:631

[ ... ]

<Location />
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    </Location>

<Location /admin>
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    </Location>

[ ... ]

# service cups restart

After that if you go to https://SERVER_IP:631 you can add your printer. After you are done adding your printer set CUPS back to listen on localhost only.

• odlevakp
    RE: what's a good 'language' to learn for scripting?
    BASH is pretty universal and powerful, but if you want something mightier I would suggest Python. You can use it for simple scripts, but also for complex applications, it's really easy to learn and if you come across a 6 months old script you will still know what it does (unlike Perl :) )
    Link to this post 10 Jul 11

BASH is pretty universal and powerful, but if you want something mightier I would suggest Python. You can use it for simple scripts, but also for complex applications, it's really easy to learn and if you come across a 6 months old script you will still know what it does (unlike Perl :) )

• odlevakp
    RE: Video problem
    I heard about this problem with 64bit flash... a friend had the same issue on the newest fedora, however i don't remember how he solved it :dry: flash reinstall is always worth a try or maybe this (older) [url=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1445073]ubuntu forum thread[/url]
    Link to this post 30 Jun 11

I heard about this problem with 64bit flash... a friend had the same issue on the newest fedora, however i don't remember how he solved it :dry: flash reinstall is always worth a try or maybe this (older) ubuntu forum thread

• odlevakp
    RE: Internet trouble in Linux
    Try to run this command... [code]sudo rm -f /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state[/code] ... and reboot
    Link to this post 25 Jun 11

Try to run this command...

sudo rm -f /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

... and reboot

• odlevakp
    RE: internet connection no longer working
    [b]saqman2060 wrote:[/b] [quote][code]cat /etc/network/interfaces [/code] only loopback should be present shouldn't the ethernet be present too?[/quote] iirc it's only present on a server installation, where the interface has an entry like [code]auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp[/code] for dhcp, on a desktop system this should be handled by the network manager daemon
    Link to this post 24 Apr 11

saqman2060 wrote:

[code]cat /etc/network/interfaces [/code]
    only loopback should be present

shouldn't the ethernet be present too?

iirc it's only present on a server installation, where the interface has an entry like

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

for dhcp, on a desktop system this should be handled by the network manager daemon

• odlevakp
    Ok, this commands might help (I'm assuming that the cable is connected, interface is called eth0 and that there is a dhcp server somewhere on your network): [code]sudo ifconfig eth0 up sudo dhclient[/code]
    Link to this post 24 Apr 11

Ok, this commands might help (I'm assuming that the cable is connected, interface is called eth0 and that there is a dhcp server somewhere on your network):

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    sudo dhclient

• odlevakp
    Strange... could you open your Terminal application as mentioned before and [u]paste here the output[/u] of these commands (some were already mentioned, but bear with me :) ): [code]status network-manager[/code] network manager should be running... [code]cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state[/code] everything enabled there [code]ifconfig[/code] a network interface should be up [code]route -n[/code] quick look on your routing table [code]cat /etc/network/interfaces [/code] only loopback should be present [code]nslookup linux.com[/code] dns is working... i know I've posted a lot of commands here, but the output hopefully will give the ppl in this thread a better insight on the problem...
    Link to this post 23 Apr 11

Strange... could you open your Terminal application as mentioned before and paste here the output of these commands (some were already mentioned, but bear with me :) ):

status network-manager

network manager should be running...

cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

everything enabled there

ifconfig

a network interface should be up

route -n

quick look on your routing table

cat /etc/network/interfaces 

only loopback should be present

nslookup linux.com

dns is working... i know I've posted a lot of commands here, but the output hopefully will give the ppl in this thread a better insight on the problem...

• odlevakp
    RE: How to remove app.
    perhaps examining the commands used in this script would help: http://www.ossec.net/wiki/Tweaking_OSSEC#Easy_uninstallation
    Link to this post 23 Apr 11

perhaps examining the commands used in this script would help: http://www.ossec.net/wiki/Tweaking_OSSEC#Easy_uninstallation

• odlevakp
    If in the output of this command [code]cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state[/code] you'll see that the networking is disabled, delete the NetworkManager.state file (and restart the service) [code] sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state sudo service network-manager restart[/code]
    Link to this post 22 Apr 11

If in the output of this command

cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

you'll see that the networking is disabled, delete the NetworkManager.state file (and restart the service)

sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    sudo service network-manager restart

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board