• Last Logged In: 15 Dec 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • tsit
    RE: NFSv4 over 10Gbps copper vs local disk
    There will be no router, just a switch connecting the various servers. The network will be dedicated to NFS, so other than competing NFS clients, there will be no network traffic to worry about. Ben, thanks for mentioning your experiences with Sun equipment and the bit about your [i]unconfigured[/i] switch. I'm the type to probably put the switch in place without configuring it (since it's such a simple network). I'll definitely take a look at the switch's config.
    Link to this post 16 Dec 10

There will be no router, just a switch connecting the various servers. The network will be dedicated to NFS, so other than competing NFS clients, there will be no network traffic to worry about.

Ben, thanks for mentioning your experiences with Sun equipment and the bit about your unconfigured switch. I'm the type to probably put the switch in place without configuring it (since it's such a simple network). I'll definitely take a look at the switch's config.

• tsit
    NFSv4 over 10Gbps copper vs local disk
    I'm considering buying our company some 10Gbps copper Ethernet equipment to provide a dedicated network for our NFSv4 server/clients. We have fairly modern equipment (HP DL380 G7 server, DL360 G5 clients) with 10/15krpm SAS disks. I'm wondering what I should expect when comparing local disk performance to performance over a 10Gbps NFS network share. Does anyone have experience with this equipment? Is there a reasonable way to know what to expect without having to buy the (very) expensive switch and I/O cards? I think the disks support at most 6Gbps throughput. Are there other bottlenecks that I should consider or is it reasonable to expect performance over NFS to be about as good as local disk performance? Thanks.
    Link to this post 15 Dec 10

I'm considering buying our company some 10Gbps copper Ethernet equipment to provide a dedicated network for our NFSv4 server/clients.

We have fairly modern equipment (HP DL380 G7 server, DL360 G5 clients) with 10/15krpm SAS disks. I'm wondering what I should expect when comparing local disk performance to performance over a 10Gbps NFS network share.

Does anyone have experience with this equipment? Is there a reasonable way to know what to expect without having to buy the (very) expensive switch and I/O cards? I think the disks support at most 6Gbps throughput. Are there other bottlenecks that I should consider or is it reasonable to expect performance over NFS to be about as good as local disk performance?

Thanks.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board