Posted
  • mlangdn
    RE: Wanaby Baby
    Try PCLinuxOS from the above post. :)
    Link to this post 20 May 09

Try PCLinuxOS from the above post. :)

• mlangdn
    RE: Wanaby Baby
    For your laptop, I would start with PCLinuxOS 2009 Live. It runs live from the cd, with an option to install. If it runs well (it will be slower running from the cd), then simply click the Install icon on the desktop. That will get you started. Just try all the flavors of live cds - you can't go wrong. This will get you started: http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28
    Link to this post 20 May 09

For your laptop, I would start with PCLinuxOS 2009 Live. It runs live from the cd, with an option to install. If it runs well (it will be slower running from the cd), then simply click the Install icon on the desktop.

That will get you started. Just try all the flavors of live cds - you can't go wrong. This will get you started:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

• mlangdn
    RE: Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware
    I've never used VMware - time to go exploring! :)
    Link to this post 19 May 09

I've never used VMware - time to go exploring! :)

• mlangdn
    RE: Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware
    I have a month old iso of current that I am running in virtualbox. KDE 4x will not run in vbox - just freezes the thing up. I don't know why, and I have not tried to find out. I really need to put it on its own partition and try it there. That said, KDE 3x is no longer in the -current tree, so 4x will be the only KDE choice in future Slackware. That's probably not a bad thing, and I will have to get used to it sooner or later. KDE 3x would probably run in the next release, but will have to be done by the user compiling it and all the dependencies. That will be no small task since KDE is a beast to compile normally. Oh yea - XFCE runs flawlessly in vbox with the month old current iso. I think its time to mirror the tree again for changes.

I have a month old iso of current that I am running in virtualbox. KDE 4x will not run in vbox - just freezes the thing up. I don't know why, and I have not tried to find out. I really need to put it on its own partition and try it there.

That said, KDE 3x is no longer in the -current tree, so 4x will be the only KDE choice in future Slackware. That's probably not a bad thing, and I will have to get used to it sooner or later. KDE 3x would probably run in the next release, but will have to be done by the user compiling it and all the dependencies. That will be no small task since KDE is a beast to compile normally.

Oh yea - XFCE runs flawlessly in vbox with the month old current iso. I think its time to mirror the tree again for changes.

• mlangdn
    RE: How can i get more help in this forum?
    Don't worry too much about poor English skills. If you get close, someone should be able to figure it out.

Don't worry too much about poor English skills. If you get close, someone should be able to figure it out.

• mlangdn
    RE: Slackware Linux Users Group
    I sent a request to join a few minutes ago - sounds good!
    Link to this post 18 May 09

I sent a request to join a few minutes ago - sounds good!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board