• Last Logged In: 23 Apr 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mlangdn
    RE: Opinions: KDE 4.X on slackware
    I'm running Slackware64-current with KDE-4.4.1 - its very slick and well-polished. KDE is definitely getting better.
    Link to this post 16 Mar 10

I'm running Slackware64-current with KDE-4.4.1 - its very slick and well-polished. KDE is definitely getting better.

• mlangdn
    RE: Learning more...
    Try this one: http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
    Link to this post 05 Jun 09

Try this one:

http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

• mlangdn
    RE: Random people asking to be added as friends
    I have only had one to ask, and I added or was added. Nothing has happened since.
    Link to this post 31 May 09

I have only had one to ask, and I added or was added. Nothing has happened since.

• mlangdn
    I am now running Slackware64-current as my main production machine. Also using KDE 4x (I forget the version) and it is way different! It will take some getting used to, but I will pass judgement after I find my way around. At first glance, I really just didn't like it, but after using this a bit, I may find I prefer this KDE 4x.
    Link to this post 26 May 09

I am now running Slackware64-current as my main production machine. Also using KDE 4x (I forget the version) and it is way different! It will take some getting used to, but I will pass judgement after I find my way around.

At first glance, I really just didn't like it, but after using this a bit, I may find I prefer this KDE 4x.

• mlangdn
    RE: Wanaby Baby
    I have used both Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. The biggest difference is in one is KDE based, the other is gnome. While both will get one started in Linux, neither comes with the development tools necessary to compile software. That's why I like Slackware. But it requires a lot of configuration, and extra stuff to do to get multimedia stuff going. Its not hard, but a bit daunting to the new user. Everything you need is available for both Ubuntu and PClinuxOS, you just have to spend a lot of time in the repositories.
    Link to this post 21 May 09

I have used both Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. The biggest difference is in one is KDE based, the other is gnome.

While both will get one started in Linux, neither comes with the development tools necessary to compile software. That's why I like Slackware. But it requires a lot of configuration, and extra stuff to do to get multimedia stuff going. Its not hard, but a bit daunting to the new user.

Everything you need is available for both Ubuntu and PClinuxOS, you just have to spend a lot of time in the repositories.

• mlangdn
    RE: Games which are Linux-only
    Try a google search for Linux Games. There are lots of 'em out there, but not knowing your preference for type of games, is too broad to answer. I like Sauerbraten, which is an FPS. Battle for Wesnoth also comes to mind quickly.
    Link to this post 21 May 09

Try a google search for Linux Games. There are lots of 'em out there, but not knowing your preference for type of games, is too broad to answer.

I like Sauerbraten, which is an FPS.
    Battle for Wesnoth also comes to mind quickly.

• mlangdn
    Try PCLinuxOS from the above post. :)
    Link to this post 20 May 09

Try PCLinuxOS from the above post. :)

• mlangdn
    For your laptop, I would start with PCLinuxOS 2009 Live. It runs live from the cd, with an option to install. If it runs well (it will be slower running from the cd), then simply click the Install icon on the desktop. That will get you started. Just try all the flavors of live cds - you can't go wrong. This will get you started: http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28
    Link to this post 20 May 09

For your laptop, I would start with PCLinuxOS 2009 Live. It runs live from the cd, with an option to install. If it runs well (it will be slower running from the cd), then simply click the Install icon on the desktop.

That will get you started. Just try all the flavors of live cds - you can't go wrong. This will get you started:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

• mlangdn
    I've never used VMware - time to go exploring! :)
    Link to this post 19 May 09

I've never used VMware - time to go exploring! :)

• mlangdn
    I have a month old iso of current that I am running in virtualbox. KDE 4x will not run in vbox - just freezes the thing up. I don't know why, and I have not tried to find out. I really need to put it on its own partition and try it there. That said, KDE 3x is no longer in the -current tree, so 4x will be the only KDE choice in future Slackware. That's probably not a bad thing, and I will have to get used to it sooner or later. KDE 3x would probably run in the next release, but will have to be done by the user compiling it and all the dependencies. That will be no small task since KDE is a beast to compile normally. Oh yea - XFCE runs flawlessly in vbox with the month old current iso. I think its time to mirror the tree again for changes.
    Link to this post 19 May 09

I have a month old iso of current that I am running in virtualbox. KDE 4x will not run in vbox - just freezes the thing up. I don't know why, and I have not tried to find out. I really need to put it on its own partition and try it there.

That said, KDE 3x is no longer in the -current tree, so 4x will be the only KDE choice in future Slackware. That's probably not a bad thing, and I will have to get used to it sooner or later. KDE 3x would probably run in the next release, but will have to be done by the user compiling it and all the dependencies. That will be no small task since KDE is a beast to compile normally.

Oh yea - XFCE runs flawlessly in vbox with the month old current iso. I think its time to mirror the tree again for changes.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board