• Last Logged In: 07 Mar 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • peter79
    UNIX kernel diagnostics/debugging
    Guys, My apologies if I'm posting this question in the wrong forum but here it goes. Could someone provide me with links to good docementation or recomend a good book which covers "UNIX kernel diagnostics/debugging"? Thanks.
    Link to this post 07 Mar 11

Guys,

My apologies if I'm posting this question in the wrong forum but here it goes.

Could someone provide me with links to good docementation or recomend a good book which covers "UNIX kernel diagnostics/debugging"?

Thanks.

• peter79
    RE: Help with colletcl tool
    Mark, I really appreciate all yout help on this. I have tried opening the tab output files in Excel and while it does open the file it just was a bit of a mess (I have attached the excel file tp this post). Is it possbile to to format the output so that only the writes pe second is recorded? Also I tried configuring collectl to run as daemon but when I attempted to start the service it failed. Please note that I'm currently testing this out on a ESX server (ESX is built on a red hat kernel so it shouldnt be a problem.
    Link to this post 12 Jan 11

Mark,

I really appreciate all yout help on this. I have tried opening the tab output files in Excel and while it does open the file it just was a bit of a mess (I have attached the excel file tp this post).

Is it possbile to to format the output so that only the writes pe second is recorded? Also I tried configuring collectl to run as daemon but when I attempted to start the service it failed. Please note that I'm currently testing this out on a ESX server (ESX is built on a red hat kernel so it shouldnt be a problem.

• peter79
    Mark, Thanks again for yout response just to give some background info. The data I need to captutre is wtites per second on the disk subsystem. So I will be using -sd. I would like to capture the at least 3 days worth of data mayne up to 5. I would like to have the data captured as a CSV file so it can be viewed in excel. I tried running the command below because I want to see what the results look like in Excel. However it did not run is the syntax correct? collectl -sd -P -p/temp --sep','
    Link to this post 12 Jan 11

Mark,

Thanks again for yout response just to give some background info. The data I need to captutre is wtites per second on the disk subsystem. So I will be using -sd. I would like to capture the at least 3 days worth of data mayne up to 5.

I would like to have the data captured as a CSV file so it can be viewed in excel.

I tried running the command below because I want to see what the results look like in Excel. However it did not run is the syntax correct?

collectl -sd -P -p/temp --sep','

• peter79
    Mark, Thanks for your reply. Where in the command would you use --sep? For example if I ws running colletl -sd -c10 --P -p/temp Also there is a chance I might have to gather the data for up to a week, how big do you think the csv file would get? Thanks in advance. By the way its a great tool!
    Link to this post 11 Jan 11

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Where in the command would you use --sep? For example if I ws running

colletl -sd -c10 --P -p/temp

Also there is a chance I might have to gather the data for up to a week, how big do you think the csv file would get?

Thanks in advance.

By the way its a great tool!

• peter79
    RE: Create a copy of entire server on a VM
    [b]tjim wrote:[/b] [quote]Hi, I am a bit new to Virtual Machines and I wanted to try it on an upcoming project our company have. We have a server with vSphere Hypervisor from VmWare and I have prepared it with three vm:s of appropriate sizes. I would like to get copies of our three live servers on these vm:s. I remember my Linux teacher telling me this could be done in school once, but I can't find how. Do any of you know how to do this? The main thing is that the live servers must not be affected in any way. Any help is greatly appreciated.[/quote] Just so I'm clear you want to convert 3 physical servers to virtual servers? Your 2 options are as follows. 1. vCenter converter plugin. Should be available on the vCenter installer package. 2. Go to VMware website and download the stand alone vCenter converter. They both do the same job but the stand alone converter tends to have less issues.

tjim wrote:

Hi,

I am a bit new to Virtual Machines and I wanted to try it on an upcoming project our company have.

We have a server with vSphere Hypervisor from VmWare and I have prepared it with three vm:s of appropriate sizes. I would like to get copies of our three live servers on these vm:s.

I remember my Linux teacher telling me this could be done in school once, but I can't find how.

Do any of you know how to do this?

The main thing is that the live servers must not be affected in any way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just so I'm clear you want to convert 3 physical servers to virtual servers? Your 2 options are as follows.

1. vCenter converter plugin. Should be available on the vCenter installer package.

2. Go to VMware website and download the stand alone vCenter converter.

They both do the same job but the stand alone converter tends to have less issues.

• peter79
    Help with colletcl tool
    Hey Guys, Im fairly new to the world of linux so I need a bit of help. Im currently using a tool called collectl (http://collectl.sourceforge.net/) to gather sone I/O information about a Red Hat server. Ive figured how to capture the data but my problem is I really need to get the results into a CSV file for Excel. Has anyone on this forum any experience using collectl and if so can the data be exported to a CSV file? Thanks.

Hey Guys,

Im fairly new to the world of linux so I need a bit of help. Im currently using a tool called collectl (http://collectl.sourceforge.net/) to gather sone I/O information about a Red Hat server. Ive figured how to capture the data but my problem is I really need to get the results into a CSV file for Excel.

Has anyone on this forum any experience using collectl and if so can the data be exported to a CSV file?

Thanks.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board