• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 12 Jul 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • RickSMO
    Linux & Windows Dual boot partitioning question.
    I have a question that will hopefully speed up my process of getting my new net-book setup. Due to swap space being a lot faster the closer it is to the front, I started putting the swap partition first, then installing the linux OS, which alone has increased my speed and made my linux operating systems (Ubuntu and Fedora) run much faster and smoother. This is all fine and dandy, but since I have a dual boot system, I then install windows 7 and come up with the problem i'm sure all you linux gurus are predicting I am about to say, windows wipes out grub from the mbr and Linux appears to be gone, and all I have is windows. So then I have to re-install linux over the previous partition to have grub loaded once again into the mbr file. The reason I have been doing it this way, is to make sure my swap space partition is first on my hard drive so that it is used at it's best ability. Is there a easier way to skip this third step, by simply loading grub again on it's own? I'm sure there is a easier way to do this, and even tho this way is working for me, it is very time consuming. Suggestions please.
    Link to this post 16 Jul 11

I have a question that will hopefully speed up my process of getting my new net-book setup. Due to swap space being a lot faster the closer it is to the front, I started putting the swap partition first, then installing the linux OS, which alone has increased my speed and made my linux operating systems (Ubuntu and Fedora) run much faster and smoother.

This is all fine and dandy, but since I have a dual boot system, I then install windows 7 and come up with the problem i'm sure all you linux gurus are predicting I am about to say, windows wipes out grub from the mbr and Linux appears to be gone, and all I have is windows.

So then I have to re-install linux over the previous partition to have grub loaded once again into the mbr file.

The reason I have been doing it this way, is to make sure my swap space partition is first on my hard drive so that it is used at it's best ability.

Is there a easier way to skip this third step, by simply loading grub again on it's own? I'm sure there is a easier way to do this, and even tho this way is working for me, it is very time consuming.

Suggestions please.

• RickSMO
    To every penguin in The United States....
    Happy 4th of July weekend!
    Link to this post 03 Jul 11

Happy 4th of July weekend!

• RickSMO
    People who never follow up on their own posts.
    You know, not that it's a big deal but I thought it was worth posting this. Something that bothers me a slightly is when I am asked for help by someone who really cares a lot less then they are asking me to care, in order to solve the problem. I enjoy helping people, but if anyone is going to ask someone else to walk them through resolving a computer issue. Please at least care enough to follow up and let us know if it was fixed or not, and if our suggestions helped. Working on a issue and then never hearing from the person again is just rude and bad practice. So, not a big deal, just thought I would bring it up hoping someone may follow up who otherwise would not have. Feel free to comment.
    Link to this post 03 Jul 11

You know, not that it's a big deal but I thought it was worth posting this. Something that bothers me a slightly is when I am asked for help by someone who really cares a lot less then they are asking me to care, in order to solve the problem. I enjoy helping people, but if anyone is going to ask someone else to walk them through resolving a computer issue. Please at least care enough to follow up and let us know if it was fixed or not, and if our suggestions helped. Working on a issue and then never hearing from the person again is just rude and bad practice.

So, not a big deal, just thought I would bring it up hoping someone may follow up who otherwise would not have.

Feel free to comment.

• RickSMO
    RE: Video issue
    not able to get permission, i went to terminal and logged into root with su, then dragged and dropped the file into it and it still claims i don't have permission. What am I doing wrong lol
    Link to this post 02 Jul 11

not able to get permission, i went to terminal and logged into root with su, then dragged and dropped the file into it and it still claims i don't have permission. What am I doing wrong lol

• RickSMO
    well i'm sure its the resolution or something similar, the issue I had when i initially installed the driver was that my screen was black and stayed black, for some reason it set my monitor to a refresh rate of 43 hertz and it can't run at that slow of speed. So I set it to auto and it kicks in when i log in. i'll try what you mentioned and let you know what happens.

well i'm sure its the resolution or something similar, the issue I had when i initially installed the driver was that my screen was black and stayed black, for some reason it set my monitor to a refresh rate of 43 hertz and it can't run at that slow of speed. So I set it to auto and it kicks in when i log in. i'll try what you mentioned and let you know what happens.

• RickSMO
    RE: Savage2 and Fedora15 problem **RESOLVED**
    thanks

thanks

• RickSMO
    RE: help with selecting a distribution
    I'd recommend putting Linux on a extra system or dual booting one system to allow you to get used to linux and see what you can get to work for you and what obstacles you may or may not have. That way it's a easy transition without going "all in". Distributions i'd recommend Ubuntu or Fedora, why? Because it's what I like, and most people are using one or the other in one shape or another. But look at them all, you can always change your mind with free software =)

I'd recommend putting Linux on a extra system or dual booting one system to allow you to get used to linux and see what you can get to work for you and what obstacles you may or may not have. That way it's a easy transition without going "all in".

Distributions i'd recommend Ubuntu or Fedora, why? Because it's what I like, and most people are using one or the other in one shape or another.

But look at them all, you can always change your mind with free software =)

• RickSMO
    RE: Video problem
    I'd like to know if you tried my recommendations to narrow down the issue, or if it has been resolved or not. Please update us on what is going on. Thank you.

I'd like to know if you tried my recommendations to narrow down the issue, or if it has been resolved or not. Please update us on what is going on. Thank you.

• RickSMO
    RE: Savage2 and Fedora15 problem **RESOLVED**
    Savage2 now works perfectly, running this: yum install kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686 solved my problem with Native Linux 64bit 3D applications like Savage2 and Regnum Online. Score +1 for the tux gaming.

Savage2 now works perfectly, running this: yum install kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686

solved my problem with Native Linux 64bit 3D applications like Savage2 and Regnum Online.

Score +1 for the tux gaming.

• RickSMO
    it's kind of like a extra layer of security that I don't want and didn't ask for, because on boot up I can type my password in with a blank screen. Then my screen comes back as soon as I'm logged in. lol

it's kind of like a extra layer of security that I don't want and didn't ask for, because on boot up I can type my password in with a blank screen. Then my screen comes back as soon as I'm logged in. lol

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board