• Last Logged In: 10 Jun 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • atreyu
    RE: Make PDC or LDAP server
    hey, it's clear you're not stupid! as i recall, i had been tasked to set up a server to be an email server (using postfix and smtpd and cyrus-imapd with auth via LDAP and intefaced with SquirrelMail) and be a chat server (auth with LDAP servied via jabberd). it was fun, but getting LDAP to work w/all that was a bee-yotch. and I never got it to do anything more robust, like allowing remote users to log in and get a shell, etc.
    Link to this post 21 May 11

hey, it's clear you're not stupid!

as i recall, i had been tasked to set up a server to be an email server (using postfix and smtpd and cyrus-imapd with auth via LDAP and intefaced with SquirrelMail) and be a chat server (auth with LDAP servied via jabberd). it was fun, but getting LDAP to work w/all that was a bee-yotch. and I never got it to do anything more robust, like allowing remote users to log in and get a shell, etc.

• atreyu
    RE: Ubuntu 11.04 wireless connection problem
    What are your network (TCP/IP) settings? Did you set them up manually, or get them via DHCP from a router (likely the latter). try this command to see if your DNS has been configured/updated: [code]cat /etc/resolv.conf[/code] you also need a route to get to the outside world. show the output of this: [code]route -n[/code] also, how about showing your network configuration file contents? [code]cat /etc/network/interfaces[/code]

What are your network (TCP/IP) settings? Did you set them up manually, or get them via DHCP from a router (likely the latter).

try this command to see if your DNS has been configured/updated:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

you also need a route to get to the outside world. show the output of this:

route -n

also, how about showing your network configuration file contents?

cat /etc/network/interfaces

• atreyu
    [b]marc wrote:[/b] [quote][b]atreyu wrote:[/b] [quote]agreed, it is butt-arse hard. I did it in Fedora in a couple hours, though - just find a good tutorial that is made for your distro, e.g. [url]https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html[/url] good luck[/quote] Two hours? Just to read the documentation it took me way much longer. (although I must admit I really didn't need to read the whole thing to get a basic ldap working ). Regards[/quote] i didn't say I understood it, i just installed it... ;)

marc wrote:

[b]atreyu wrote:[/b]
    [quote]agreed, it is butt-arse hard. I did it in Fedora in a couple hours, though - just find a good tutorial that is made for your distro, e.g.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html
    good luck

Two hours?

Just to read the documentation it took me way much longer. (although I must admit I really didn't need to read the whole thing to get a basic ldap working ).

Regards[/quote]
    i didn't say I understood it, i just installed it... ;)

• atreyu
    agreed, it is butt-arse hard. I did it in Fedora in a couple hours, though - just find a good tutorial that is made for your distro, e.g. [url]https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html[/url] good luck
    Link to this post 20 May 11

agreed, it is butt-arse hard. I did it in Fedora in a couple hours, though - just find a good tutorial that is made for your distro, e.g.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html
    good luck

• atreyu
    RE: How to remove kernel source ?
    If you're absolutely [b]sure[/b] that you know your BAD KERNEL VERSION (e.g., 2.6.36), then you can do this to remove it: [code] rm -rf /lib/modules/{BAD_KERNEL_VER}/ rm -f /boot/vmlinuz-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}* rm -f /boot/initrd-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}* rm -f /boot/config-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}* rm -f /boot/System.map-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}* [/code] The first command removes the bad kernel's installed modules. The rest of the commands remove the bad kernel image and any initial ramdisk images, system maps, and kernel config files. You can always reinstall a Fedora-packaged kernel, too. First remove the entry from the RPM database: [code]rpm -e --justdb kernel (or kernel-PAE) [/code] Then reinstall it w/yum, e,g: [code]yum install kernel (or kernel-PAE)[/code] If you have multiple kernel packages installed, then you can do the above rpm/yum commands, but you have to pass the package version info with it, e.g.: kernel-2.6.36-1.fc10 List all installed kernels with: [code]rpm -qa kernel (or kernel-PAE)[/code] Of course, don't do any of this unless you're feeling bold!

If you're absolutely sure that you know your BAD KERNEL VERSION (e.g., 2.6.36), then you can do this to remove it:

rm -rf /lib/modules/{BAD_KERNEL_VER}/
    rm -f /boot/vmlinuz-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}*
    rm -f /boot/initrd-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}*
    rm -f /boot/config-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}*
    rm -f /boot/System.map-{BAD_KERNEL_VER}*

The first command removes the bad kernel's installed modules. The rest of the commands remove the bad kernel image and any initial ramdisk images, system maps, and kernel config files.

You can always reinstall a Fedora-packaged kernel, too. First remove the entry from the RPM database:

rpm -e --justdb kernel (or kernel-PAE) 

Then reinstall it w/yum, e,g:

yum install kernel (or kernel-PAE)

If you have multiple kernel packages installed, then you can do the above rpm/yum commands, but you have to pass the package version info with it, e.g.: kernel-2.6.36-1.fc10

List all installed kernels with:

rpm -qa kernel (or kernel-PAE)

Of course, don't do any of this unless you're feeling bold!

• atreyu
    RE: mp3blaster in Slackware terminal
    i like to use [b]screen[/b] for this type of stuff: [code]screen -S myScreen[/code] This will launch the screen program in your same terminal, using whatever label you want ( "myScreen" ). Then at the prompt, launch your app as normal, e.g.: [code]mp3blaster[/code] then you can detech from the screen and return to your original terminal by pressing [CTRL]+[A], then [D] To re-attach to it, run a command to list your currently running screens: [code]screen -ls[/code] and look for the output that has your label in it ( "myScreen" ), it will look something like: [code] 10046.myScreen (Detached) [/code] Then reattach to it like this: [code]screen -r 10046[/code] Also, I've never used mp3blaster, but can you start it up in the background the old-school way, with an ampersand? [code]mp3blaster &[/code]

i like to use screen for this type of stuff:

screen -S myScreen

This will launch the screen program in your same terminal, using whatever label you want ( "myScreen" ). Then at the prompt, launch your app as normal, e.g.:
    mp3blaster

then you can detech from the screen and return to your original terminal by pressing [CTRL]+[A], then [D]

To re-attach to it, run a command to list your currently running screens:

screen -ls

and look for the output that has your label in it ( "myScreen" ), it will look something like:

10046.myScreen (Detached)

Then reattach to it like this:
    screen -r 10046

Also, I've never used mp3blaster, but can you start it up in the background the old-school way, with an ampersand?

mp3blaster &

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board