• Last Logged In: 10 Jun 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • atreyu
    RE: Incorrect screen size
    Perhaps you need to change which video driver Xorg is using? Check the config file - /etc/X11/xorg.conf - if it is using 'vesa' try 'i810' (for Intel graphics). You might also need to put the proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh in there. Also, i've heard removing the splash screen sometimes helps...
    Link to this post 19 May 11

Perhaps you need to change which video driver Xorg is using? Check the config file - /etc/X11/xorg.conf - if it is using 'vesa' try 'i810' (for Intel graphics). You might also need to put the proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh in there.

Also, i've heard removing the splash screen sometimes helps...

• atreyu
    RE: Backuppc use smb
    This is a very app-specific question. Have you tried this Backuppc forum? [url]http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/two-way-mirrors-of-external-mailing-lists-3/backuppc-21/[/url]
    Link to this post 19 May 11

This is a very app-specific question. Have you tried this Backuppc forum?

http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/two-way-mirrors-of-external-mailing-lists-3/backuppc-21/

• atreyu
    RE: How to enable Joliet file system support?
    you're welcome! just curious, it sounds like auto-mounting is not working still - is that right? if I were you, i'd not give up on that, you should be able to do that!
    Link to this post 18 May 11

you're welcome! just curious, it sounds like auto-mounting is not working still - is that right? if I were you, i'd not give up on that, you should be able to do that!

• atreyu
    RE: Potential blog tutorials
    Yes, good idea! I am definitely I am interested, this is a booming area these days - esp. for Linux. I'd be interested particularly in performing an install of a virtual machine completely automated (scripted), so that it could be called from some other installer script, for example. Or run by a monkey who only knows how to push buttons ;)

Yes, good idea! I am definitely I am interested, this is a booming area these days - esp. for Linux. I'd be interested particularly in performing an install of a virtual machine completely automated (scripted), so that it could be called from some other installer script, for example. Or run by a monkey who only knows how to push buttons ;)

• atreyu
    RE: Network monitoring software
    Are you talking about monitoring services on your local machine (be it server, workstation, etc.)? If so, then a simple [code]netstat[/code] will tell you quite a bit, although it is not a GUI and not very pretty. Likewise, this will give you lots of output, but in a terminal: [code]tcpdump -i [ethN][/code] The lsof command also works with network services, e.g.: [code]lsof -i4[/code] just lists currently running processes that are using IPv4. TIP: if you know what port something is listening on/talking on, you can look it up in /etc/services and sometimes get a description for that service, according to the IANA anyway. For gui tools (neither of which i have tried in some time), you can check out Nagios and Cacti. I don't know how app-centric they are, but they're definitely intended to monitor network traffic. hth

Are you talking about monitoring services on your local machine (be it server, workstation, etc.)? If so, then a simple

netstat

will tell you quite a bit, although it is not a GUI and not very pretty.
    Likewise, this will give you lots of output, but in a terminal:
    tcpdump -i [ethN]

The lsof command also works with network services, e.g.:

lsof -i4

just lists currently running processes that are using IPv4.

TIP: if you know what port something is listening on/talking on, you can look it up in /etc/services and sometimes get a description for that service, according to the IANA anyway.

For gui tools (neither of which i have tried in some time), you can check out Nagios and Cacti. I don't know how app-centric they are, but they're definitely intended to monitor network traffic.

hth

• atreyu
    RE: How to enable Joliet file system support?
    Edwin, Sorry, missed your reply. I forgot to try running dolphin on my Kubuntu box @home - will try that later tonite. In the mean time, why don't put an entry in /etc/fstab for your CD-ROM? It won't hurt to try... [code]/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom iso9660 noauto,managed,ro 0 0[/code] once you've saved that to your fstab, try inserting a CD-ROM and see if it auto-mounts. You may need to make the /media/cdrom dir first. If it doesn't auto-mount, then in a terminal, try this command and see what errors you get: [code]mount /media/cdrom[/code]
    Link to this post 17 May 11

Edwin,

Sorry, missed your reply. I forgot to try running dolphin on my Kubuntu box @home - will try that later tonite. In the mean time, why don't put an entry in /etc/fstab for your CD-ROM? It won't hurt to try...

/dev/sr0   /media/cdrom   iso9660   noauto,managed,ro   0 0

once you've saved that to your fstab, try inserting a CD-ROM and see if it auto-mounts. You may need to make the /media/cdrom dir first. If it doesn't auto-mount, then in a terminal, try this command and see what errors you get:

mount /media/cdrom

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board