• Last Logged In: 03 Feb 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • bobmajdakjr
    RE: The new Linux.com
    no, he has a valid point. flash is complete crap on linux. on fresh installs of anything (at this moment, linux mint 7) flash elements crash in firefox all the time, in the middle of youtube movies, in the middle of page loads, it is, crap. it only got worse after they added 64 bit support. i have to use my macbook (not that that causes me pain, as it is my favourite computer) just to do things that involve flash so i know they will not crash in the middle of them. also the ads are so huge the site area is so narrow. as for opensourcing the site, i could not care less if it was or was not. really do not care.
    Link to this post 18 Jun 09

no, he has a valid point.

flash is complete crap on linux. on fresh installs of anything (at this moment, linux mint 7) flash elements crash in firefox all the time, in the middle of youtube movies, in the middle of page loads, it is, crap. it only got worse after they added 64 bit support.

i have to use my macbook (not that that causes me pain, as it is my favourite computer) just to do things that involve flash so i know they will not crash in the middle of them.

also the ads are so huge the site area is so narrow.

as for opensourcing the site, i could not care less if it was or was not. really do not care.

• bobmajdakjr
    Where and on What do you use?
    Throughout the day I imagine most of us go through several different computers. Start a list of all the computers you touch during a normal day with what it runs and what you use it for :D Photos are bonus points! I start. [b]At Work[/b] [center][url=http://www.opsat.net/temp/wee-wireless-desktop.jpg][img size=320]http://www.opsat.net/temp/work-desk.jpg[/img][/url][/center] [ul] [li]Desktop 1 (dell p490) - Primary Work Station [i]Linux Mint 6[/i][/li] [li]Desktop 2 (dell p340) - Testing IE (lol) [i]Windows XP Pro[/i][/li] [li]Laptop 1 (Macbook) - Apple Development [i]MacOS X[/i][/li] [li]Laptop 2 (Dell p m65) - Mobile workstation ("always on call") [i]Dual Boot Linux Mint 6 and Windows 7 RC[/i][/li] [li]Server 1 (some unmarked blade) - Local Intranet [i]FreeBSD 7[/i][/li] [/ul] [b]At Home[/b] [center][url=http://www.opsat.net/temp/wee-wireless-desktop.jpg][img size=320]http://www.opsat.net/temp/wee-wireless-desktop.jpg[/img][/url][/center] [ul] [li]Desktop 1 (custom) - anymore just World of Warcraft :\ [i]Dual Boot Linux Mint 6 and Windows XP[/i][/li] [li]Desktop 2 (White eMac) - internet in bedroom/alarm clock [i]MacOS X[/i][/li] [li]Server 1 (custom) - Local File/Media Server [i]Ubuntu Server Edition 8.10[/i][/li] [li]Server 2 (custom) - SSH, VPN, SOCKS, BNC [i]FreeBSD 7[/i][/li] [/ul]
    Link to this post 15 May 09

Throughout the day I imagine most of us go through several different computers. Start a list of all the computers you touch during a normal day with what it runs and what you use it for :D

Photos are bonus points!

I start.

At Work

[center][/center]

[ul]
    [li]Desktop 1 (dell p490) - Primary Work Station
    Linux Mint 6[/li]
    [li]Desktop 2 (dell p340) - Testing IE (lol)
    Windows XP Pro[/li]
    [li]Laptop 1 (Macbook) - Apple Development
    MacOS X[/li]
    [li]Laptop 2 (Dell p m65) - Mobile workstation ("always on call")
    Dual Boot Linux Mint 6 and Windows 7 RC[/li]
    [li]Server 1 (some unmarked blade) - Local Intranet
    FreeBSD 7[/li]
    [/ul]

At Home

[center][/center]

[ul]
    [li]Desktop 1 (custom) - anymore just World of Warcraft :\
    Dual Boot Linux Mint 6 and Windows XP[/li]
    [li]Desktop 2 (White eMac) - internet in bedroom/alarm clock
    MacOS X[/li]
    [li]Server 1 (custom) - Local File/Media Server
    Ubuntu Server Edition 8.10[/li]
    [li]Server 2 (custom) - SSH, VPN, SOCKS, BNC
    FreeBSD 7[/li]
    [/ul]

• bobmajdakjr
    RE: Favorite game?
    [ol] [li]Quake III Arena[/li] [li]Unreal Tournament 2004, then 2007 (with linux installer on disc!)[/li] [li]Frozen Bubble[/li] [/ol] Quake 3 is still my top favourite but I have not gamed in Linux in so long. My home PC is left on the XP partition since all I do after work is World of Warcraft and sleep.

[ol]
    [li]Quake III Arena[/li]
    [li]Unreal Tournament 2004, then 2007 (with linux installer on disc!)[/li]
    [li]Frozen Bubble[/li]
    [/ol]

Quake 3 is still my top favourite but I have not gamed in Linux in so long. My home PC is left on the XP partition since all I do after work is World of Warcraft and sleep.

• bobmajdakjr
    RE: Why you choose linux, not FreeBSD?
    [b]dsparil wrote:[/b] [quote]If Linux wasn't a performer in both areas, companies like Google would not consider Linux to power their systems.[/quote] LOL, vaguely related, I read this while trying to figure out if the problem with Google services yesterday was just me or not: [quote]The mighty Google is falling! That is what you get when you build your infrastructure around linux and have employees who would rather play with office toys than keep services up and running.[/quote] Hahah just some retarded user comment on the article. (http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=18064) as if routing issues had anything to do with Google's Linux.

dsparil wrote:

If Linux wasn't a performer in both areas, companies like Google would not consider Linux to power their systems.

LOL, vaguely related, I read this while trying to figure out if the problem with Google services yesterday was just me or not:

The mighty Google is falling! That is what you get when you build your infrastructure around linux and have employees who would rather play with office toys than keep services up and running.

Hahah just some retarded user comment on the article. (http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=18064) as if routing issues had anything to do with Google's Linux.

• bobmajdakjr
    I ended up choosing FreeBSD because in my own tests for the application I needed it had better throughput on both the network interfaces and daemon's like mysql that Linux did. (this was a year ago) Solaris (slowlaris) actually beat FreeBSD on my testing machine in terms of network throughput, but it sucked at doing every day tasks. And Linux on the desktop, well, it just has better general hardware support. And at the time I made the switch Quake III Arena was the only game I needed anyway. Anyway... work gave me a Macbook to carry around and I use that more often than not now... (still please don't flame me, lol)

I ended up choosing FreeBSD because in my own tests for the application I needed it had better throughput on both the network interfaces and daemon's like mysql that Linux did. (this was a year ago)

Solaris (slowlaris) actually beat FreeBSD on my testing machine in terms of network throughput, but it sucked at doing every day tasks.

And Linux on the desktop, well, it just has better general hardware support. And at the time I made the switch Quake III Arena was the only game I needed anyway.

Anyway... work gave me a Macbook to carry around and I use that more often than not now... (still please don't flame me, lol)

• bobmajdakjr
    I choose Linux for my desktops. I choose FreeBSD for my servers. I know it is sort of wrong. Please don't flame me lol.

I choose Linux for my desktops.

I choose FreeBSD for my servers.

I know it is sort of wrong. Please don't flame me lol.

• bobmajdakjr
    these forums need....
    two more forums: general offtopic, and site related

two more forums: general offtopic, and site related

• bobmajdakjr
    RE: The new Linux.com
    privacy options need major help. public profile is key, but still some common sense fields like "phone number" should not show up even on "everyone"

privacy options need major help.

public profile is key, but still some common sense fields like "phone number" should not show up even on "everyone"

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board