• Last Logged In: 19 Apr 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • dcmilly
    Movable Clear Blocks on Screen
    OK, experts. A friend of mine wanted to try Linux out so I install Mint in his old BioStar/AMD computer. I was working great when I gave it back to him, but he like to tinker with settings. He now has 3 clear square blocks on the outside of a web page so the web page does not take up the whole screen. See attached picture and see if you can figure out what he did. I'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere and not a fresh install. [file name=Screenshot3.jpg size=86510]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot3.jpg[/file]
    Link to this post 19 Apr 11

OK, experts. A friend of mine wanted to try Linux out so I install Mint in his old BioStar/AMD computer. I was working great when I gave it back to him, but he like to tinker with settings. He now has 3 clear square blocks on the outside of a web page so the web page does not take up the whole screen. See attached picture and see if you can figure out what he did. I'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere and not a fresh install. [file name=Screenshot3.jpg size=86510]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot3.jpg[/file]

• dcmilly
    RE: HELP,Can't install anything but Ubuntu
    You're correct. The only distro I can install is Ubuntu 9.1. I've tried Fedora 14, Zorin 4, Linux mint 10 in both 32 and 64 bit. My question is does anybody not use the nouveau video driver or can I remove it before install? The only other problem I'm having is my CPU fan is running at full speed. I tried running the lm-sensor program but it did not help. And it doesn't look like VIA supports a linux chipset driver.
    Link to this post 19 Apr 11

You're correct. The only distro I can install is Ubuntu 9.1. I've tried Fedora 14, Zorin 4, Linux mint 10 in both 32 and 64 bit. My question is does anybody not use the nouveau video driver or can I remove it before install? The only other problem I'm having is my CPU fan is running at full speed. I tried running the lm-sensor program but it did not help. And it doesn't look like VIA supports a linux chipset driver.

• dcmilly
    RE: HELP,Can't install anything but Ubuntu
    Thanks to those that have replied. FYI: When I installed Ubuntu 9.1 and did all the updates I notice I had the option to upgrade to 10.04. The upgrade went flawlessly until reboot and then I got a blank screen. I'll take a good look at my BIOS and try the "ESC" thing during install.
    Link to this post 12 Apr 11

Thanks to those that have replied. FYI: When I installed Ubuntu 9.1 and did all the updates I notice I had the option to upgrade to 10.04. The upgrade went flawlessly until reboot and then I got a blank screen. I'll take a good look at my BIOS and try the "ESC" thing during install.

• dcmilly
    HELP,Can't install anything but Ubuntu
    I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux but have used it in the past and use the live CD's for data recovery. I recently tried installing Zorin OS 4, Linux Mint 10.0 and Ubuntu 10.10 and 9.1 on a fresh HDD and was only able to get Ubuntu 9.1 to install. These were all the 64bit versions. The Ubuntu 9.1 version was 32bit. When installing Zorin or Mint, it will start with the splash screen and then there is nothing on the screen. Here's my system: AsRock 4coredual with VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra Chipsets Intel quad core Q6600 2 gigs of DDR2 800 WD 320G RE3 HDD Nvidia 512mb PCI express My question to you experts is why will only Ubuntu 9.1 only install and not Zorin or Mint? Is it the 32bit vs the 64bit? I really wanted to install Zorin. Thanks, Dave
    Link to this post 12 Apr 11

I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux but have used it in the past and use the live CD's for data recovery. I recently tried installing Zorin OS 4, Linux Mint 10.0 and Ubuntu 10.10 and 9.1 on a fresh HDD and was only able to get Ubuntu 9.1 to install. These were all the 64bit versions. The Ubuntu 9.1 version was 32bit. When installing Zorin or Mint, it will start with the splash screen and then there is nothing on the screen. Here's my system:

AsRock 4coredual with VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra Chipsets
    Intel quad core Q6600
    2 gigs of DDR2 800
    WD 320G RE3 HDD
    Nvidia 512mb PCI express

My question to you experts is why will only Ubuntu 9.1 only install and not Zorin or Mint? Is it the 32bit vs the 64bit?

I really wanted to install Zorin.

Thanks, Dave

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board