• Last Logged In: 01 May 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Fozzie54
    RE: Help for what drivers I need please
    thanks everyone for your great responses..........I am back to work tommorow after 4 months off....overseas... I just have to get my head around Linux....to understand the systems and proccess. I want to reformat my netbook without partition leave Windows of completely and learn how to use Linux only... Looking at the drivers available and reading on the net about issues people have is intersesting........... thank you again for your replies. Fozzie from Western Australia
    Link to this post 01 May 11

thanks everyone for your great responses..........I am back to work tommorow after 4 months off....overseas...

I just have to get my head around Linux....to understand the systems and proccess.

I want to reformat my netbook without partition leave Windows of completely and learn how to use Linux only...
    Looking at the drivers available and reading on the net about issues people have is intersesting...........

thank you again for your replies.

Fozzie
    from

Western Australia

• Fozzie54
    Help for what drivers I need please
    CPU Intel® Atom™ N455 processor (1.66GHz) OS Genuine Windows® 7 Starter Chipset Intel® NM10 Memory DDR3 667, Max: 2GB LCD Size 10” (1024 x 600) WSVGA LED Graphics Intel® GMA 3150 Graphics VRAM share with system memory HDD (GB) 160 GB or above (2.5” SATA) Optical Drive N/A Audio HD Audio, Stereo speakers Webcam 0.3M Card Reader SD/MMC LAN 10/100/1000 Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n Bluetooth N/A D-Sub (VGA) 1 Hello these are the specs for my ..MSI..Wind U 160dx...Could someone please advise me on what drivers I will need when I install Linux Mint Julia 10 KDE edition .32 bit.or what I should need..basically I don't know much on where to start so if someone could help ...thank you in advance.................Fozzie
    Link to this post 30 Apr 11

CPU Intel® Atom™ N455 processor (1.66GHz)
    OS Genuine Windows® 7 Starter
    Chipset Intel® NM10
    Memory DDR3 667, Max: 2GB
    LCD Size 10” (1024 x 600) WSVGA LED
    Graphics Intel® GMA 3150
    Graphics VRAM share with system memory
    HDD (GB) 160 GB or above (2.5” SATA)
    Optical Drive N/A
    Audio HD Audio, Stereo speakers
    Webcam 0.3M
    Card Reader SD/MMC
    LAN 10/100/1000
    Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth N/A
    D-Sub (VGA) 1

Hello these are the specs for my ..MSI..Wind U 160dx...Could someone please advise me on what drivers I will need when I install Linux Mint Julia 10 KDE edition .32 bit.or what I should need..basically I don't know much on where to start so if someone could help ...thank you in advance.................Fozzie

• Fozzie54
    RE: which operating system
    Thanks Goineasy9 I think I will try the Google talk , so not worry Yahoo Messenger thanks.. The down load site I am using is here Linux.com..I have just downloaded Mint .live.as I have about 6 gb left on account. Could you please tell me where you would download from...and are the Live cd or DVD's the same operating system.. Yes I found them here I mean at Linux.com and they may be iso files.. I will wait for your recommendation before I download anymore.. All this started because Netbook and windows 7 starter could not handle the operating system.. So I will change to Linux on all my computers .....but the desktop first... Thanks for being patient Goineasy9 ...and I probably will have more dumb questions...well netbook ones.. Cheers Fozzie
    Link to this post 28 Apr 11

Thanks Goineasy9
    I think I will try the Google talk , so not worry Yahoo Messenger thanks..
    The down load site I am using is here Linux.com..I have just downloaded Mint .live.as I have about 6 gb left on account.
    Could you please tell me where you would download from...and are the Live cd or DVD's the same operating system..
    Yes I found them here I mean at Linux.com and they may be iso files..
    I will wait for your recommendation before I download anymore..

All this started because Netbook and windows 7 starter could not handle the operating system..
    So I will change to Linux on all my computers .....but the desktop first...

Thanks for being patient Goineasy9 ...and I probably will have more dumb questions...well netbook ones..

Cheers
    Fozzie

• Fozzie54
    RE: which operating system
    Thanks Goineasy9 My apologies I am the thick one YM is Yahoo Messenger its free and I use it instead of telephone to talk overseas Video chat ...when my new laptop can handle it more than 10 minutes. So if I use either Mint or Ubuntu ..download it ...install either operating system Sorry what is a distro package manager then install any other free programs I can use...are they all compatable on Linux web site.. There seem to be a lot of programs on Linux web site to download I would like to use this for a while before I install it on my new netbook ...windows 7 starter can't handle Yahoo Messenger MSI wind U160dx Thank you for your reply , I know my questions are basic but coming from windows ..different names. Cheers Fozzie

Thanks Goineasy9
    My apologies I am the thick one YM is Yahoo Messenger its free and I use it instead of telephone to talk overseas
    Video chat ...when my new laptop can handle it more than 10 minutes.

So if I use either Mint or Ubuntu ..download it ...install either operating system
    Sorry what is a distro package manager
    then install any other free programs I can use...are they all compatable on Linux web site..

There seem to be a lot of programs on Linux web site to download

I would like to use this for a while before I install it on my new netbook ...windows 7 starter can't handle Yahoo Messenger
    MSI wind U160dx

Thank you for your reply , I know my questions are basic but coming from windows ..different names.

Cheers
    Fozzie

• Fozzie54
    which operating system
    Hello .....I have never used Linux before and think it is a great system. I downloaded Ubuntu desktop edition 10.10 32 bit on disc remembering to tick box in internet options..allow active content to run from cd.. I will install it ...after I find out what else I need to use. My needs are Mail Information from websites about either technical stuff or just the weather or google earth Burn dvd...own ones YM chat with wife ....very important that one. I have xp and windows 7 starter.... My question is ...what do I need to download ...programs linux to be able to do what I do now... Thank you for any replies Fozzie from Western Australia:)

Hello .....I have never used Linux before and think it is a great system.
    I downloaded Ubuntu desktop edition 10.10 32 bit on disc remembering to tick box in internet options..allow active content to run from cd..
    I will install it ...after I find out what else I need to use.
    My needs are
    Mail
    Information from websites about either technical stuff or just the weather or google earth
    Burn dvd...own ones
    YM chat with wife ....very important that one.

I have xp and windows 7 starter....

My question is ...what do I need to download ...programs linux to be able to do what I do now...

Thank you for any replies

Fozzie from
    Western Australia:)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board