• Last Logged In: 23 May 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • deploylinux
    RE: More software for Enterprise Linux - the EPEL repo
    Yes, we add the following repositories to all RHEL5 installs: EPEL FC6 Extras freshrpms These seem to be the main "safe" general purpose repo's.
    Link to this post 15 May 09

Yes, we add the following repositories to all RHEL5 installs:

EPEL
    FC6 Extras
    freshrpms

These seem to be the main "safe" general purpose repo's.

• deploylinux
    RE: RHEL or CentOS?
    I have considered CentOS several times in the past as RHEL licenses cost quite a bit of $ each year and cost cutting has been the "in" thing business wise ever since the dotcom bust. Still, we stick with paying RedHat for RHEL licenses each year, because: a) Most of our deployments are on VMware ESX whose release notes on the Linux side are constantly focused on RHEL. Debugging issues can get very complicated in a private cloud, and we just can't afford the added confusion that might occur if we contacted VMware/Dell/Random Application Vendor and told them we were using CentOS rather than RedHat. b) I've been disappointed many times in seeing very long wait times between when Redhat releases a patch/upgrade and when CentOS finally gets around to repackaging it. When a critical security patch is released, even an hour or two can be important for deployment. c) While I honestly would prefer that my primary distribution be community based, I would expect the community to be innovating/etc. I'm not sure how I feel about centos basically just being a clone of redhat. Free is nice, but I feel better compensating RedHat for the value it provides. d) Telephone/Email support from RedHat isn't really a factor. In the last 10 years, I might have had to open a ticket perhaps 3 times. Most other issues were handled without even going to the redhat website, although sometimes it is helpful to read or update bugzilla.
    Link to this post 15 May 09

I have considered CentOS several times in the past as RHEL licenses cost quite a bit of $ each year and cost cutting has been the "in" thing business wise ever since the dotcom bust.

Still, we stick with paying RedHat for RHEL licenses each year, because:

a) Most of our deployments are on VMware ESX whose release notes on the Linux side are constantly focused on RHEL. Debugging issues can get very complicated in a private cloud, and we just can't afford the added confusion that might occur if we contacted VMware/Dell/Random Application Vendor and told them we were using CentOS rather than RedHat.

b) I've been disappointed many times in seeing very long wait times between when Redhat releases a patch/upgrade and when CentOS finally gets around to repackaging it. When a critical security patch is released, even an hour or two can be important for deployment.

c) While I honestly would prefer that my primary distribution be community based, I would expect the community to be innovating/etc. I'm not sure how I feel about centos basically just being a clone of redhat. Free is nice, but I feel better compensating RedHat for the value it provides.

d) Telephone/Email support from RedHat isn't really a factor. In the last 10 years, I might have had to open a ticket perhaps 3 times. Most other issues were handled without even going to the redhat website, although sometimes it is helpful to read or update bugzilla.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board