• Last Logged In: 2 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • undoIT
    Deadbeef seek in track
    I started using Deadbeef recently. It is an excellent media player. The one big complaint I have is that seek forward and seek backward skip too far. The seek is anywhere between 2 minutes and 6 minutes forward or backward. Is there any way to adjust the seek amount ind Deadbeef?
    Link to this post 29 Aug 12

I started using Deadbeef recently. It is an excellent media player. The one big complaint I have is that seek forward and seek backward skip too far. The seek is anywhere between 2 minutes and 6 minutes forward or backward. Is there any way to adjust the seek amount ind Deadbeef?

• undoIT
    How to Mount Network Hard Drive (NAS) as Non-Root
    [b]Update: I figured out how to do this using fstab and wrote up a tutorial:[/b] :) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1471854 ------ I just finished installing Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid and I'm trying to setup my backup script again. In a nutshell, I had a script that would connect using smbmount as my normal user account and then mirror my home folder to the external network attached hard drive with rsync. It is required, as far as I have tested, that rsync be run as user account and not root to work properly. Part of the setup info I gleaned from this article: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/118225 In that article, it is recommended running this command to mount as non-root user: [code]chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt[/code] However, this file no longer exists in *buntu 10.04. Apparently smbfs has been modified for security reasons. Is there any other way to connect NAS drives as non-root user that is relatively secure? Struggled with this all day yesterday and still no solution.
    Link to this post 02 May 10

Update: I figured out how to do this using fstab and wrote up a tutorial: :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1471854

------
    I just finished installing Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid and I'm trying to setup my backup script again. In a nutshell, I had a script that would connect using smbmount as my normal user account and then mirror my home folder to the external network attached hard drive with rsync. It is required, as far as I have tested, that rsync be run as user account and not root to work properly.

Part of the setup info I gleaned from this article:

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/118225

In that article, it is recommended running this command to mount as non-root user:

chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt

However, this file no longer exists in *buntu 10.04. Apparently smbfs has been modified for security reasons. Is there any other way to connect NAS drives as non-root user that is relatively secure? Struggled with this all day yesterday and still no solution.

• undoIT
    RE: [SOLVED] Command to Bulk Archive / Compress
    Just to answer my own question, in case somebody else stumbles on this thread, I used this commmand to bulk archive and then compress to bzip2 for maximum compression: [code]find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d -exec tar cjf {}.tar.bz2 {} \;[/code]
    Link to this post 22 Sep 09

Just to answer my own question, in case somebody else stumbles on this thread, I used this commmand to bulk archive and then compress to bzip2 for maximum compression:

find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d -exec tar cjf {}.tar.bz2 {} \;

• undoIT
    [SOLVED] Command to Bulk Archive / Compress
    I'm looking for a command that will compress every folder within a directory separately with the name of each archive reflecting the original folder name. I know that tar czvf example.tar.gz example/ will compress an entire folder. However, I have not found a command to bulk archive. Is there such a command?
    Link to this post 21 Sep 09

I'm looking for a command that will compress every folder within a directory separately with the name of each archive reflecting the original folder name. I know that

tar czvf example.tar.gz example/

will compress an entire folder. However, I have not found a command to bulk archive. Is there such a command?

• undoIT
    Linux & SSDs (Solid State Drives)
    With the new Intel G2 SSDs coming out, I'm thinking about upgrading my hard drive. However, there seems to be an extra level of software support needed for SSDs. From what I have read there can be performance degradation over time and other issues. Does anyone know how well solid state drives are supported in Linux and also if there is support for the TRIM command or if it is planned?
    Link to this post 27 Jul 09

With the new Intel G2 SSDs coming out, I'm thinking about upgrading my hard drive. However, there seems to be an extra level of software support needed for SSDs. From what I have read there can be performance degradation over time and other issues.

Does anyone know how well solid state drives are supported in Linux and also if there is support for the TRIM command or if it is planned?

• undoIT
    Web Development in Linux
    There are a lot of great tools available for web developers in Linux. I recently put a fresh install of Kubuntu on my laptop. After getting Quicken and some other programs working in Wine, I decided not to install Virtualbox with Windows XP. However, I would like to test websites in Internet Explorer or other native Windows browsers, because the fonts generally appear bigger in Windows and this can sometimes screw up a layout. I know about ies4linux and also, I am able to run IE6 after getting it installed with winetricks. So, the crux of the situation is that I want to keep the default fonts that come bundled with Linux so I can see what most Linux visitors see (this rules out installing msttcorefonts). But, I also want to see a pixel-perfect rendering of what most Windows visitors will see, without going through the whole rigamarole of installing Virtualbox with Windows XP. Is there any way to test and see what a website will look like in Windows while without installing a Windows emulator?
    Link to this post 12 Jul 09

There are a lot of great tools available for web developers in Linux. I recently put a fresh install of Kubuntu on my laptop. After getting Quicken and some other programs working in Wine, I decided not to install Virtualbox with Windows XP. However, I would like to test websites in Internet Explorer or other native Windows browsers, because the fonts generally appear bigger in Windows and this can sometimes screw up a layout. I know about ies4linux and also, I am able to run IE6 after getting it installed with winetricks.

So, the crux of the situation is that I want to keep the default fonts that come bundled with Linux so I can see what most Linux visitors see (this rules out installing msttcorefonts). But, I also want to see a pixel-perfect rendering of what most Windows visitors will see, without going through the whole rigamarole of installing Virtualbox with Windows XP.

Is there any way to test and see what a website will look like in Windows while without installing a Windows emulator?

• undoIT
    RE: Gzip Support in Ark
    I just mean being able to add and remove files within the archive.
    Link to this post 11 Jun 09

I just mean being able to add and remove files within the archive.

• undoIT
    Gzip Support in Ark
    I recently switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu on my main machine. It seems that Ark only supports reading and extracting .gz archives. Is there any way to create and edit Gzipped archives with Ark?
    Link to this post 11 Jun 09

I recently switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu on my main machine. It seems that Ark only supports reading and extracting .gz archives. Is there any way to create and edit Gzipped archives with Ark?

• undoIT
    RE: [SOLVED] Nvidia Preserve external monitor settings
    Actually, what I did to fix this was run nvidia settings as root [code]sudo nvidia-settings[/code] Then, I got things adjust as I wanted and hit the Save to X Configuration File button (which will work when running as root). After reboot, it is working flawlessly. If the external monitor is connected, it switches to the external with correct resolution. If not, it goes to the laptop monitor. Even better, I just got a Displayport to DVI adapter today. This works very well, the external monitor is much sharper and the colors are richer with digital. I was amazed that the Displayport is working in Kubuntu. Extremely pleased! :woohoo:
    Link to this post 23 May 09

Actually, what I did to fix this was run nvidia settings as root

sudo nvidia-settings

Then, I got things adjust as I wanted and hit the Save to X Configuration File button (which will work when running as root). After reboot, it is working flawlessly. If the external monitor is connected, it switches to the external with correct resolution. If not, it goes to the laptop monitor.

Even better, I just got a Displayport to DVI adapter today. This works very well, the external monitor is much sharper and the colors are richer with digital. I was amazed that the Displayport is working in Kubuntu.

Extremely pleased! :woohoo:

• undoIT
    RE: [SOLVED] Nvidia Preserve external monitor settings
    When I press Save to X Configuration File, I get the following error: [quote]Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.[/quote] and the settings aren't saved. So, I tried copying the configuration file from the preview option and manually pasted it into the xorg.conf file with sudo. After reboot, I got a TTY screen instead of the login and had to restore the backup xorg.conf.
    Link to this post 15 May 09

When I press Save to X Configuration File, I get the following error:

Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.

and the settings aren't saved. So, I tried copying the configuration file from the preview option and manually pasted it into the xorg.conf file with sudo. After reboot, I got a TTY screen instead of the login and had to restore the backup xorg.conf.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board