• Last Logged In: 06 Jul 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Vanillux
    RE: Vanillux
    Hi again, So i would like tp say that we have to a testing distro together. We have yet to make a CD, we are working on that amongst other things. Until we make such a CD, we would like to offer the following installation instructions: http://wiki.vanillux.org/wiki/HOW-TO_Install_Vanillux Also i would like to again say that we are still looking for more volunteers, mostly people with knowledge with debian-cd/debian-installer, DAK and apt programmers. Thank you Will update again on release of CD's
    Link to this post 06 Jul 11

Hi again,

So i would like tp say that we have to a testing distro together. We have yet to make a CD, we are working on that amongst other things.

Until we make such a CD, we would like to offer the following installation instructions:
    http://wiki.vanillux.org/wiki/HOW-TO_Install_Vanillux

Also i would like to again say that we are still looking for more volunteers, mostly people with knowledge with debian-cd/debian-installer, DAK and apt programmers.

Thank you

Will update again on release of CD's

• Vanillux
    [quote]In my experience a project like this needs to *FOCUS* in something and not just offering GNOME3 and KVM, you should give something special or you won't succeed [/quote] Hi, You are right a project like this needs focus, For now our goal is to get a working desktop with gnome3 After that we want to make sure we have easy to install packages of applications (the vanillux-desktop being the main one with gnome3, chromium, VLC and not much else)(for example we will also have the office suite package (optional but offered on install), the lamp stack... And now come KVM (i really should have explained myself better im sorry), We intend to have one desktop virtualisation package, easy like virtualbox but base on KVM), this is all i meant. Thank you
    Link to this post 16 May 11

In my experience a project like this needs to *FOCUS* in something and not just offering GNOME3 and KVM, you should give something special or you won't succeed

Hi,

You are right a project like this needs focus,

For now our goal is to get a working desktop with gnome3
    After that we want to make sure we have easy to install packages of applications (the vanillux-desktop being the main one with gnome3, chromium, VLC and not much else)(for example we will also have the office suite package (optional but offered on install), the lamp stack...

And now come KVM (i really should have explained myself better im sorry), We intend to have one desktop virtualisation package, easy like virtualbox but base on KVM), this is all i meant.

Thank you

• Vanillux
    [quote]I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it... [/quote] We will have a pre-configured gnome3 desktop working OH and we arent gonna break it in 6 months

I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...

We will have a pre-configured gnome3 desktop working

OH and we arent gonna break it in 6 months

• Vanillux
    [quote]What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?[/quote] We use APT and intend to have an easy install process with a basic simple desktop instalation process (do that with arch - gnome 3 desktop running under 1hr and without typing 1000 characters on your keyboard)

What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?

We use APT and intend to have an easy install process with a basic simple desktop instalation process (do that with arch - gnome 3 desktop running under 1hr and without typing 1000 characters on your keyboard)

• Vanillux
    Vanillux
    Hi, this post is to inform the interested of a new distribution in the making project Vanillux! Here are some of the hightlights (more available on [url="http://vanillux.org"]vanillux.org[/url]): [LIST] [*]We are using APT but intend to build our own packages and have our own repository! [*]We are a rolling release [*]We use Gnome3 [*]We support KVM as our main Hypervisor [*]We try to keep the base install as simple as possible [/LIST] We are looking for voloteers Thank you [url="http://vanillux.org"]vanillux.org[/url]
    Link to this post 13 May 11

Hi,

this post is to inform the interested of a new distribution in the making project Vanillux!

Here are some of the hightlights (more available on vanillux.org):

[LIST]
    [*]We are using APT but intend to build our own packages and have our own repository!
    [*]We are a rolling release
    [*]We use Gnome3
    [*]We support KVM as our main Hypervisor
    [*]We try to keep the base install as simple as possible
    [/LIST]
    We are looking for voloteers

Thank you

vanillux.org

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board