• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 08 Aug 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • billdavis92
    RE: Running Gnome 3, battery notifications?
    Thanks for the responses. In the meantime I've switched back to Gnome 2. Gnome 3 is supported but not fully integrated with Ubuntu yet, I'm guessing? I found the Gconf-editor and my power management settings. Unfortunately there is no configuration file under the battery notifications. (At least for discharging notifications).
    Link to this post 09 Aug 11

Thanks for the responses.

In the meantime I've switched back to Gnome 2.

Gnome 3 is supported but not fully integrated with Ubuntu yet, I'm guessing?

I found the Gconf-editor and my power management settings. Unfortunately there is no configuration file under the battery notifications. (At least for discharging notifications).

• billdavis92
    Running Gnome 3, battery notifications?
    I just started running Gnome 3. At first I hated it, but in a short amount of time it's grown on me and I'm very impressed. It functions well in Natty, no issues so far. The design team outdid themselves. I'm running it on my laptop though. The only thing that bothers me are the notifications. I get "Battery Discharging 99%" "Battery Discharging 98%" So on and so forth every few seconds. I read something about a power manager in the G-conf files, but I can't find that specific file. Is anyone else running Gnome 3, and know how I would resolve this? Thanks in advance.
    Link to this post 05 Aug 11

I just started running Gnome 3. At first I hated it, but in a short amount of time it's grown on me and I'm very impressed.

It functions well in Natty, no issues so far. The design team outdid themselves.

I'm running it on my laptop though. The only thing that bothers me are the notifications.

I get "Battery Discharging 99%"
    "Battery Discharging 98%"

So on and so forth every few seconds.
    I read something about a power manager in the G-conf files, but I can't find that specific file.

Is anyone else running Gnome 3, and know how I would resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

• billdavis92
    RE: New and need help.
    I'd experiment and play around with as many as possible. Ubuntu is the easiest to install IMO. It boots quickly and runs well. If you're coming from Windows I'd recommend trying Ubuntu. It has to be the simplest distro I've used. It keeps it simple enough so you don't have to worry about all the command line stuff right away. It's got great hardware compatibility. I've got a copy of it running on a Dell laptop from 2005. The only compatibility issue is the built in wifi card. But with synaptic in the current release, I wouldn't worry about anything relatively new. Keep in mind the different user interfaces. Gnome, Unity, XFCE, KDE. Each is different, and you'll find which one's you like better. Play around with as many things as you can. You've opened up a can of worms but you won't turn back.
    Link to this post 03 Aug 11

I'd experiment and play around with as many as possible.

Ubuntu is the easiest to install IMO. It boots quickly and runs well. If you're coming from Windows I'd recommend trying Ubuntu. It has to be the simplest distro I've used. It keeps it simple enough so you don't have to worry about all the command line stuff right away. It's got great hardware compatibility. I've got a copy of it running on a Dell laptop from 2005. The only compatibility issue is the built in wifi card. But with synaptic in the current release, I wouldn't worry about anything relatively new.

Keep in mind the different user interfaces. Gnome, Unity, XFCE, KDE.

Each is different, and you'll find which one's you like better.

Play around with as many things as you can. You've opened up a can of worms but you won't turn back.

• billdavis92
    RE: Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users
    I figure I'll quit lurking and start posting. Post #1! I switched to Linux from Windows, and God forbid I ever go back. I only use it when absolutely necessary. I really like Ubuntu and their mission statement. I've had no issues whatsoever with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is very stable, and fast. For me that's the biggest thing. I like a simple and responsive OS. The software center is great, it's saved me headache thus far. I'm running 11.04 but with Gnome 2. I used Unity for a short amount of time but had to switch back. So far I think Gnome 3 is great with what they've done, but I tried it and hated it. Maybe it'll grow on me? So for right now Gnome 2 is my preferred GUI. I changed majors from History to Computer Science and I've really gotten into Linux. I'm looking into Archlinux right now. I'm not overly experienced with the command line so I'm going to give it some time before I switch completely. I'm still learning so I figure it'll be gradual.
    Link to this post 03 Aug 11

I figure I'll quit lurking and start posting.

Post #1!

I switched to Linux from Windows, and God forbid I ever go back. I only use it when absolutely necessary.
    I really like Ubuntu and their mission statement. I've had no issues whatsoever with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is very stable, and fast. For me that's the biggest thing. I like a simple and responsive OS.
    The software center is great, it's saved me headache thus far.

I'm running 11.04 but with Gnome 2. I used Unity for a short amount of time but had to switch back.

So far I think Gnome 3 is great with what they've done, but I tried it and hated it. Maybe it'll grow on me?
    So for right now Gnome 2 is my preferred GUI.

I changed majors from History to Computer Science and I've really gotten into Linux. I'm looking into Archlinux right now. I'm not overly experienced with the command line so I'm going to give it some time before I switch completely. I'm still learning so I figure it'll be gradual.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board