• Last Logged In: 15 Aug 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • spixx
    RE: Installling drivers before bootup
    You have to be more specific then that; 1. do you need support in the kernel on your laptop or 2. do you need help with creating a module (which should be available for Fedora) So please explain further what types of trouble you are getting because a "blank desktop" is not a good one :)
    Link to this post 15 Aug 11

You have to be more specific then that;
    1. do you need support in the kernel on your laptop
    or
    2. do you need help with creating a module (which should be available for Fedora)

So please explain further what types of trouble you are getting because a "blank desktop" is not a good one :)

• spixx
    RE: Dual boot
    Would like to see the any and all information on the lvm swap on first partition? In any case I will try this :)
    Link to this post 31 Jul 11

Would like to see the any and all information on the lvm swap on first partition? In any case I will try this :)

• spixx
    RE: Articles and Tutorials
    is there any intrest in some articles by the way? I have some time on my hands soon so I was thinking of doing articles on howto: SSO (ldap+nss+Active directory) Webserver (with a kick, thttpd and you) Mailserver (with a kick, anti-spam/virus and vdomains) How do I send one to you? Can you take it in html since I most often use a wiki to create content?
    Link to this post 28 Jul 11

is there any intrest in some articles by the way? I have some time on my hands soon so I was thinking of doing articles on howto:

SSO (ldap+nss+Active directory)
    Webserver (with a kick, thttpd and you)
    Mailserver (with a kick, anti-spam/virus and vdomains)

How do I send one to you? Can you take it in html since I most often use a wiki to create content?

• spixx
    RE: Bind DNS help!
    Sorry for the late respons: when having a dynamic IP I would as above use a no-ip.com address, namely use the no-ip linux client add a cname towards the ip so it points this way: domain.com - - [CNAME] - - > domain.no-ip.com - - [ your ip ] - - > Webserver. This is how I does it. A tip is to check if your router supports for instance dyndns most of them do and that is a simple and good way of having a possibiltiy to host domains on a ip that changes since many DNS servers on the Internet often tend to ignore short TTL.

Sorry for the late respons:
    when having a dynamic IP I would as above use a no-ip.com address, namely use the no-ip linux client add a cname towards the ip so it points this way:

domain.com - - [CNAME] - - > domain.no-ip.com - - [ your ip ] - - > Webserver.

This is how I does it. A tip is to check if your router supports for instance dyndns most of them do and that is a simple and good way of having a possibiltiy to host domains on a ip that changes since many DNS servers on the Internet often tend to ignore short TTL.

• spixx
    RE: Fresher Linux System Admin
    The only thing I've learned and that is to Allways use the cp -a command :) never use rm -rf and allways see to it that I do this: cp -a /etc/filetoedit /root/backup then use vi :). Otherwise GLHF

The only thing I've learned and that is to Allways use the cp -a command :) never use rm -rf and allways see to it that I do this:
    cp -a /etc/filetoedit /root/backup then use vi :).

Otherwise GLHF

• spixx
    RE: Ext3 or ext4? Which Would You Recommend?
    In the case of production stability ext4 might be a bit of a scare for the more conservative, not that I have noticed anything but on the other I've not seen any test on the stability on high I/O storage systems (for that I use ZFS) and also if you feel the need to have a great /home partiton filesystem I would look at xfs since that + LVM equals awsome... Here are some fun reading: http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/datasets/89ade5ae14209c140114bcee8c082d35/versions/1 Also a mention to prevent flamewars the when at the crossroad of selecting Filesystem I most often run with a simple use what you think is right. Like stated the difference between ext2 and ext4 is mainly in the journal and around 20 years of age :). New is not allways better though.

In the case of production stability ext4 might be a bit of a scare for the more conservative, not that I have noticed anything but on the other I've not seen any test on the stability on high I/O storage systems (for that I use ZFS) and also if you feel the need to have a great /home partiton filesystem I would look at xfs since that + LVM equals awsome...

Here are some fun reading: http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/datasets/89ade5ae14209c140114bcee8c082d35/versions/1

Also a mention to prevent flamewars the when at the crossroad of selecting Filesystem I most often run with a simple use what you think is right. Like stated the difference between ext2 and ext4 is mainly in the journal and around 20 years of age :). New is not allways better though.

• spixx
    RE: superuser
    Quick note: The reason boo works for user X should be because of the fact that you have added /home/X/bin to the PATH (you can check the command out by writing echo $PATH in terminal). When switching to root the user no longer has any PATH entry to that particular folder thus writing boo checks folder /bin /sbin and such but cannot find the script. This is not true when using sudo since sudo is a nice way of doing su -c '/path/to/script/ sudo does the command as another user (namely root) and there the PATH is different :) Hope that helped any other who wondered. echo $PATH as user: /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:[color=#FF0000][b]/home/XXX/bin[/b][/color] And sudo: /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:[color=#FF0000][b]/home/XXX/bin[/b][/color] And as sudo su: /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin Note the difference. I'm using Centos so I'm not sure that sudo behaves in the same way on any other dist though.

Quick note:
    The reason boo works for user X should be because of the fact that you have added /home/X/bin to the PATH (you can check the command out by writing echo $PATH in terminal). When switching to root the user no longer has any PATH entry to that particular folder thus writing boo checks folder /bin /sbin and such but cannot find the script. This is not true when using sudo since sudo is a nice way of doing su -c '/path/to/script/ sudo does the command as another user (namely root) and there the PATH is different :)

Hope that helped any other who wondered.

echo $PATH as user:
    /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/XXX/bin

And sudo:
    /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/XXX/bin

And as sudo su:
    /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

Note the difference. I'm using Centos so I'm not sure that sudo behaves in the same way on any other dist though.

• spixx
    RE: Bind DNS help!
    Hello! First of all, there is the question of how you point the DNS name. For instance a dns file is null and void if your domain name provider (in essence NOT the same thing as a nameserver) have to point towards you. So first of all if you have domain.xxx you need to tell the internet via your domain name provider that domain.xxx is found at your "whatsmyip.com" address. Secondly you have to open your firewall for access towards traffic at TCP(?)/UDP on port 53 for domain lookup. Protip: If you have a dynamic IP address do not even consider hosting this at home :)
    Link to this post 04 Jul 11

Hello!
    First of all, there is the question of how you point the DNS name. For instance a dns file is null and void if your domain name provider (in essence NOT the same thing as a nameserver) have to point towards you. So first of all if you have domain.xxx you need to tell the internet via your domain name provider that domain.xxx is found at your "whatsmyip.com" address.

Secondly you have to open your firewall for access towards traffic at TCP(?)/UDP on port 53 for domain lookup.

Protip: If you have a dynamic IP address do not even consider hosting this at home :)

• spixx
    RE: Sendmail scripting - amending subjects of emails
    One way to add content to emails via Sendmails is via milters for instance https://www.milter.org/milters/disclaimer/alphabetical/1 if you need some Content editing possibilties. To be exact you can add a header that your script triggers on. I suggest checking out the site since they can both append information in the mailheader (eg users will not see it) or editing any part of the email.
    Link to this post 04 Jul 11

One way to add content to emails via Sendmails is via milters for instance https://www.milter.org/milters/disclaimer/alphabetical/1 if you need some Content editing possibilties. To be exact you can add a header that your script triggers on. I suggest checking out the site since they can both append information in the mailheader (eg users will not see it) or editing any part of the email.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board