• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 15 Aug 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • littlejoe5
    RE: what's a good 'language' to learn for scripting?
    Thanks for all of your answers. Looks like it's a huge subject, but you've given me some starting points
    Link to this post 10 Jul 11

Thanks for all of your answers. Looks like it's a huge subject, but you've given me some starting points

• littlejoe5
    what's a good 'language' to learn for scripting?
    SOLVED: If I want to learn a computer language to use in scripting, what language would be best? I have written a few short scripts in 'bash' (I don't know if that is consider a computer language). But I see some discussions about perl, python, etc. and they seem to be more powerful - or is that just an illusion? If you can suggest tome a good language for that purpose, can you also suggest a good source of understandable documentation, and/ or simple and thorough tutorial or book to study it? Thanks
    Link to this post 09 Jul 11

SOLVED: If I want to learn a computer language to use in scripting, what language would be best? I have written a few short scripts in 'bash' (I don't know if that is consider a computer language). But I see some discussions about perl, python, etc. and they seem to be more powerful - or is that just an illusion?

If you can suggest tome a good language for that purpose, can you also suggest a good source of understandable documentation, and/ or simple and thorough tutorial or book to study it?

Thanks

• littlejoe5
    text editor with easy, versatile, macros?
    I still have on my system an OLD DOS text editor named VDE ((Video Display Editor). I have to go into dosemu to use it, but it is so versatile, and powerful that I often do it, especially when I have some extensive text editing to do, (for instance to copy a long email, and then reformat each paragraph so that the text will flow smoothly into ,lets say , LibreOffice Writer. A glowing but inadequate description can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/about-vde I read that VDE has been rewritten and renamed for Linux. There are two names given: SUE (Simple Unix Editor), or UDE (I suppose that stands for Unix Display Editor). I even found a place to download it with it's source (supposedly). But I can't get it to work for me. I have never compiled anything in Linux, and can't seem to find a truly simple set of instructions for doing so. All the tutorials I find on the subject assume that you know something about it first - which I don't. What I'd really like to find is that someone else has already recompiled it for Debian and I can just download it and use it. If not, then where can I find a simple tutorial for compiling it here under Mint10? And by simple, I mean with examples, showing syntax. I would also need to know what packages I need to get to be able to do it.
    Link to this post 07 Jul 11

I still have on my system an OLD DOS text editor named VDE ((Video Display Editor). I have to go into dosemu to use it, but it is so versatile, and powerful that I often do it, especially when I have some extensive text editing to do, (for instance to copy a long email, and then reformat each paragraph so that the text will flow smoothly into ,lets say , LibreOffice Writer.

A glowing but inadequate description can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/about-vde

I read that VDE has been rewritten and renamed for Linux. There are two names given: SUE (Simple Unix Editor), or UDE (I suppose that stands for Unix Display Editor). I even found a place to download it with it's source (supposedly). But I can't get it to work for me. I have never compiled anything in Linux, and can't seem to find a truly simple set of instructions for doing so. All the tutorials I find on the subject assume that you know something about it first - which I don't.

What I'd really like to find is that someone else has already recompiled it for Debian and I can just download it and use it. If not, then where can I find a simple tutorial for compiling it here under Mint10? And by simple, I mean with examples, showing syntax. I would also need to know what packages I need to get to be able to do it.

• littlejoe5
    Hi, I still consider myself a noob.
    been using linux for about 8 years an most of that time only linux. but there is so much to learn. Recently on several occasions I thought I'd need to go back to Windows to do some job, but on closer examination (and maybe asking a few questions) I found that Linux would do it nicely. I like to play with photos in Gimp. Just recently discovered "recordmydesktop". Openoffice (now Libreoffice) leaves Microsoft office in the dust. Nero doesn't hold a candle to k3b. But then some might say I'm getting predjudiced ;) Recently rescued an old (windows 98) laptop with a 6 GB drive by installing Puppy on it for one of my daughters. It runs really fast, and does everything that windows XP will do (only better) and a lot more..
    Link to this post 05 Jul 11

been using linux for about 8 years an most of that time only linux. but there is so much to learn. Recently on several occasions I thought I'd need to go back to Windows to do some job, but on closer examination (and maybe asking a few questions) I found that Linux would do it nicely. I like to play with photos in Gimp. Just recently discovered "recordmydesktop". Openoffice (now Libreoffice) leaves Microsoft office in the dust. Nero doesn't hold a candle to k3b.

But then some might say I'm getting predjudiced ;) Recently rescued an old (windows 98) laptop with a 6 GB drive by installing Puppy on it for one of my daughters. It runs really fast, and does everything that windows XP will do (only better) and a lot more..

• littlejoe5
    RE: preinstalled windows as a "guest? can it be done?
    Thanks, folks for quick and thorough replies. mfillpot Istimsak Abdulbasir Marc Deop (User) You not only told me that it wouldn't work, but very reasonable reasons why. The main reason for doing such a thing would be two fold: to open access for the user to all of his/her old files, and to do so within the users already licensed (and familiar) windows install while keeping windows off the internet . "dding" the old windows to a virtual disk would still have the effect of canceling the Microsoft license, and would be unlikely to work for lack of appropriate drivers. What I have done is to give Mint10 ro access to the windows partition, so that the user can get over there from the linux install, and copy documents, photos, etc. to work with them in linux. Thanks again

Thanks, folks for quick and thorough replies.

mfillpot
    Istimsak Abdulbasir
    Marc Deop (User)

You not only told me that it wouldn't work, but very reasonable reasons why. The main reason for doing such a thing would be two fold: to open access for the user to all of his/her old files, and to do so within the users already licensed (and familiar) windows install while keeping windows off the internet .

"dding" the old windows to a virtual disk would still have the effect of canceling the Microsoft license, and would be unlikely to work for lack of appropriate drivers.

What I have done is to give Mint10 ro access to the windows partition, so that the user can get over there from the linux install, and copy documents, photos, etc. to work with them in linux. Thanks again

• littlejoe5
    preinstalled windows as a "guest? can it be done?
    I run Mint 10 (and before that several other distros) with Windows installed as a guest in vbox. But several people have brought their Windows computers to me because they are bogged down with virii, or worms, etc. I usually get them cleaned up and working again, and then install linux (Mint 10 nowadays) along with advice to not get on the internet anymore with Windows. What I want to kn ow is: is it possible to configure Vbox so that it will make use of the existing, preinstalled Windows OS as a guest within linux? If so, how? or where can I get the information to do so?

I run Mint 10 (and before that several other distros) with Windows installed as a guest in vbox. But several people have brought their Windows computers to me because they are bogged down with virii, or worms, etc. I usually get them cleaned up and working again, and then install linux (Mint 10 nowadays) along with advice to not get on the internet anymore with Windows.

What I want to kn ow is: is it possible to configure Vbox so that it will make use of the existing, preinstalled Windows OS as a guest within linux? If so, how? or where can I get the information to do so?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board