• Last Logged In: 31 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • kiran.kankipati
    RE: Where should I start...literally?
    You can read online docs. Also about each section individually, and here is how it works: - about basic OS + Distro internals, CLI, bash commands, /proc interface, commands, etc. - about Linux Networking (learn from Linux System or Network Administrator Guide, some book available free as well as O'Relly series). - about Database (like MySQL), Apache, various servers (FTP) and so on.
    Link to this post 31 Jan 12

You can read online docs. Also about each section individually, and here is how it works:

- about basic OS + Distro internals, CLI, bash commands, /proc interface, commands, etc.
    - about Linux Networking (learn from Linux System or Network Administrator Guide, some book available free as well as O'Relly series).
    - about Database (like MySQL), Apache, various servers (FTP) and so on.

• kiran.kankipati
    Fedora Linux Distribution - Installation Live Demo
    Live Demo of Fedora Linux Distribution Installation and customization of the same for beginners and intermediate Linux users. Kindly follow few instructions, and suggestions, this will make you easier to install ALL possible applications and libraries right during install time. This video is without audio, so kindly turn on (enable) the Youtube captions, and also follow my embedded text onscreen overlay instructions. YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu0AD0t7eKk
    Link to this post 29 Jan 12

Live Demo of Fedora Linux Distribution Installation and customization of the same for beginners and intermediate Linux users.

Kindly follow few instructions, and suggestions, this will make you easier to install ALL possible applications and libraries right during install time.

This video is without audio, so kindly turn on (enable) the Youtube captions, and also follow my embedded text onscreen overlay instructions.

YouTube URL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu0AD0t7eKk

• kiran.kankipati
    RE: frustrated in understanding the linux kernel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9QgKo5ogg4 I made this video on using Bluefish IDE to understand my TrafficSqueezer code. Actually it is a part of Linux Kernel. It is for my students to understand Linux Kernel code + my code/modules in it. Hence you can use such IDE or Netbeans IDE, or any such IDE to go through the Kernel sources. Sometimes please note each folder you see in Kernel can be a module or sub-modules, subsystems - such as filesystem, networking, etc, device drivers, and so on. Hence use a good IDE, and preferrably O'Relly series books also mainly LDD book. I hope my video helps you too.
    Link to this post 15 Jan 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9QgKo5ogg4

I made this video on using Bluefish IDE to understand my TrafficSqueezer code. Actually it is a part of Linux Kernel.
    It is for my students to understand Linux Kernel code + my code/modules in it.
    Hence you can use such IDE or Netbeans IDE, or any such IDE to go through the Kernel sources.

Sometimes please note each folder you see in Kernel can be a
    module or sub-modules,
    subsystems - such as filesystem, networking, etc,
    device drivers, and so on.

Hence use a good IDE, and preferrably O'Relly series books also mainly LDD book.

I hope my video helps you too.

• kiran.kankipati
    And regarding suggested books, certainly you can read kernel specific books, but beyond that kindly read the intro sections of Linux Device Drivers (LDD) Book. It is too useful for you to understand simple kernel APIs, code, modules specific to each subsystem i.e networking, filesystem, memory, etc.
    Link to this post 10 Jan 12

And regarding suggested books, certainly you can read kernel specific books, but beyond that kindly read the intro sections of Linux Device Drivers (LDD) Book. It is too useful for you to understand simple kernel APIs, code, modules specific to each subsystem i.e networking, filesystem, memory, etc.

• kiran.kankipati
    Some part understanding kernel or a code walk of kernel is also possible with any good professional IDE application. So if you think using a open-source IDE, you can try using Bluefish, I use it to develop my open-source kernel project. Before that, I used to manage via Vi or via Gedit applications, but now the best IDE, is paying off really well both interms of understand (code walk), and even kernel software development.
    Link to this post 31 Dec 11

Some part understanding kernel or a code walk of kernel is also possible with any good professional IDE application.

So if you think using a open-source IDE, you can try using Bluefish, I use it to develop my open-source kernel project. Before that, I used to manage via Vi or via Gedit applications, but now the best IDE, is paying off really well both interms of understand (code walk), and even kernel software development.

• kiran.kankipati
    RE: Original file of "set history" command? [SOLVED]
    Thank you very much Marc. Sorry I forgot, oh yes yes, I remember now. Happy New Year !

Thank you very much Marc. Sorry I forgot, oh yes yes, I remember now.

Happy New Year !

• kiran.kankipati
    Fetch IP address of interface(port) in Kernel
    Hi guys, ( I am author/founder TrafficSqueezer - Linux kernel wan opt.solution). I want a quick portion of code to get IP address of interface, (preferrably also IPv6) for a given interface/port name in a API. for example I need whihin kernel context (its a part of TrafficSqueezer kernel source): int ts_get_port_ip_addr(char *port_name, char *ip_addr, char *ipv6_addr) { .... } So that i can call this: ts_get_port_ip_addr("eth0", ip_addr, ipv6_addr) --> something like that. Can someone come up with a direct suggestion or some api for it ? Which I can call in that above my API wrapper i.e: ts_get_port_ip_addr(). Currently I have this blank dummy api, so I push actually from user-space to kernel space, the extracted IPaddr directly. But I want to happen implicit within kernel. I search for APis in kernel, still didnt figured out exact API or call sequence, and I need a tip/suggestions from someone who knows it already. Thank you in advance.

Hi guys, ( I am author/founder TrafficSqueezer - Linux kernel wan opt.solution).

I want a quick portion of code to get IP address of interface, (preferrably also IPv6) for a given interface/port name in a API.

for example I need whihin kernel context (its a part of TrafficSqueezer kernel source):
    int ts_get_port_ip_addr(char *port_name, char *ip_addr, char *ipv6_addr)
    {

}

So that i can call this:
    ts_get_port_ip_addr("eth0", ip_addr, ipv6_addr) --> something like that.

Can someone come up with a direct suggestion or some api for it ? Which I can call in that above my API wrapper i.e: ts_get_port_ip_addr().

Currently I have this blank dummy api, so I push actually from user-space to kernel space, the extracted IPaddr directly. But I want to happen implicit within kernel. I search for APis in kernel, still didnt figured out exact API or call sequence, and I need a tip/suggestions from someone who knows it already.

Thank you in advance.

• kiran.kankipati
    RE: what's a good 'language' to learn for scripting?
    Learn PHP in 1 week, then also BASH. PHP gives you extreme ease of use, than any other scripting language. Although I come from core systems network protocol development background (that is C/C++), still recently after learning PHP, for all user-space app. extensions + other automations, I use PHP. I code bash scripts within PHP. So that is my suggestion.

Learn PHP in 1 week, then also BASH.

PHP gives you extreme ease of use, than any other scripting language.

Although I come from core systems network protocol development background (that is C/C++), still recently after learning PHP, for all user-space app. extensions + other automations, I use PHP. I code bash scripts within PHP. So that is my suggestion.

• kiran.kankipati
    RE: Need help using multiple variables within a line
    If possible eventually you can get into writing php scripts instead bash scripts. Bash lacks integrity in its language, sometimes it appears too restrictive, and too discrete. PHP will brings you that integrity, and superior control. And bash scripts in PHP is also a too good choice.

If possible eventually you can get into writing php scripts instead bash scripts.

Bash lacks integrity in its language, sometimes it appears too restrictive, and too discrete.

PHP will brings you that integrity, and superior control. And bash scripts in PHP is also a too good choice.

• kiran.kankipati
    RE: Original file of "set history" command? [SOLVED]
    Wonderful thread. Can someone let know where exactly these history entries are stored ? I mean the direct log - which the command 'histry' will fetch and show ? Thank you.

Wonderful thread.

Can someone let know where exactly these history entries are stored ?
    I mean the direct log - which the command 'histry' will fetch and show ?
    Thank you.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board