• Last Logged In: 08 Sep 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • scottco229
    RE: ATI drivers
    I tried, to edit the boot command, however it still goes to the gray streaked screen. I was able to update my ATI drivers, but still no success.
    Link to this post 17 May 09

I tried, to edit the boot command, however it still goes to the gray streaked screen. I was able to update my ATI drivers, but still no success.

• scottco229
    RE: The new Linux.com
    I like it, nice job....
    Link to this post 15 May 09

I like it, nice job....

• scottco229
    RE: Linux Desktop Wishlist
    I will use my wife as an example...she is computer illiterate...however I installed Fedora on her laptop..and installed VMware, with XP in the Virtual machine. with about 5 minutes of tutoring, she can do everything just fine. Fedora 10 is a nice set up and I like it quite abit...if only I could get it to work on my laptop... Anyways my gripe is really towards OpenOffice. Linux isnt suffering from applications...it already offers more than most will ever use or could. It already offers alot of selection and freedom...I love it...however if it is going to get to people...who arnt "geeks" (sorry, but its true), it will need to focus its efforts on the things non-computer geeks, the people who push a button and want the computer to start up and work, to do documents, powerpoint, excel...until office or open office can truely compare to office, from a non-geek perspective, it will avoid mainstream...think of it like a car with out electric windows, or airconditioning or a radio...will your car run good or even great with out any of those items...yes it will,but why would you buy the car when all of the other cars have those options? just my opinion.

I will use my wife as an example...she is computer illiterate...however I installed Fedora on her laptop..and installed VMware, with XP in the Virtual machine. with about 5 minutes of tutoring, she can do everything just fine.

Fedora 10 is a nice set up and I like it quite abit...if only I could get it to work on my laptop...

Anyways my gripe is really towards OpenOffice. Linux isnt suffering from applications...it already offers more than most will ever use or could. It already offers alot of selection and freedom...I love it...however if it is going to get to people...who arnt "geeks" (sorry, but its true), it will need to focus its efforts on the things non-computer geeks, the people who push a button and want the computer to start up and work, to do documents, powerpoint, excel...until office or open office can truely compare to office, from a non-geek perspective, it will avoid mainstream...think of it like a car with out electric windows, or airconditioning or a radio...will your car run good or even great with out any of those items...yes it will,but why would you buy the car when all of the other cars have those options? just my opinion.

• scottco229
    ATI drivers
    I currently run Centos on my Dell 1501 AMD Duel Core 1900 _86x64 Inspiron Laptop. I am limited to Centos as this appears to be the only distro that can manage my ATI graphics card. Fedora, Mandriva, openSuzie, Freespire, Linuxmint...wont work. I get the dreaded gray streaked screen...and the system freezes...any ideas in what I can do. I can install fedora from a live cd, but I cant actually get to log in before I lose the screen.

I currently run Centos on my Dell 1501 AMD Duel Core 1900 _86x64 Inspiron Laptop. I am limited to Centos as this appears to be the only distro that can manage my ATI graphics card. Fedora, Mandriva, openSuzie, Freespire, Linuxmint...wont work.

I get the dreaded gray streaked screen...and the system freezes...any ideas in what I can do. I can install fedora from a live cd, but I cant actually get to log in before I lose the screen.

• scottco229
    RE: Wireless can't find a networks, lost connection...
    Sled, If I understand you correctly, it does eventually connect, but it takes about 75 seconds, and then it will die out? or do you maintain connection? I believe the issue is that specific card has had issues with compatibility. I googled and found this to be helpful. http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=Madwifi-ng_(Atheros) I read this, and it sounded similar to your issue. http://www.linux.com/archive/forums/printtopic/1101?theme=print and about wpa_supplicant... it would be in the sessions, down towards the bottom of list, if it is installed...

Sled,

If I understand you correctly, it does eventually connect, but it takes about 75 seconds, and then it will die out? or do you maintain connection?

I believe the issue is that specific card has had issues with compatibility. I googled and found this to be helpful.

http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=Madwifi-ng_(Atheros)

I read this, and it sounded similar to your issue.

http://www.linux.com/archive/forums/printtopic/1101?theme=print

and about wpa_supplicant...

it would be in the sessions, down towards the bottom of list, if it is installed...

• scottco229
    RE: Wireless can't find a networks, lost connection...
    What distro are you using? Do you have the correct Driver installed? you can simply do a lspci -l Are you using ndiswrapper? do you have it linked correctly to the kernel? wpa_supplicant enabled? http://www.linlap.com/ this is a good place to start...otherwise google linux and wireless...

What distro are you using?

Do you have the correct Driver installed?

you can simply do a lspci -l

Are you using ndiswrapper? do you have it linked correctly to the kernel?

wpa_supplicant enabled?

http://www.linlap.com/

this is a good place to start...otherwise google linux and wireless...

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board