• Last Logged In: 08 Sep 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • scottco229
    RE: Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users
    the comment about picking the distro that will work on your computer is the most important thing. I would like to run openSuSe but can't, it won't work with my video card in my laptop, just like Fedora 11 or 12 won't either, but Ubuntu will as will CentOS. Personally I like CentOS the best, I think I know it the best out of all I have mentioned. I did like Ubuntu however, I found myself getting lazy and not using Terminal when installing software, or configuring packages. And since I want to learn, I need to force it. Hold your head up, and move forward...
    Link to this post 15 Feb 10

the comment about picking the distro that will work on your computer is the most important thing. I would like to run openSuSe but can't, it won't work with my video card in my laptop, just like Fedora 11 or 12 won't either, but Ubuntu will as will CentOS. Personally I like CentOS the best, I think I know it the best out of all I have mentioned. I did like Ubuntu however, I found myself getting lazy and not using Terminal when installing software, or configuring packages. And since I want to learn, I need to force it.

Hold your head up, and move forward...

• scottco229
    RE: Recently download Ubuntu...
    re run : lspci again, this time post Network Controller: blah blah blah WLAN, it is this line that matters most.
    Link to this post 18 Jan 10

re run : lspci again, this time post Network Controller: blah blah blah WLAN, it is this line that matters most.

• scottco229
    RE: Recently download Ubuntu...
    I currently use Ubuntu on a Dell AMD Athlon 2X64. I have ran linux on this laptop for about 3 years now, from Centos, Fedora 8, Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Generally Ubuntu with out a doubt has been the easiest to work. Do you have wired / wireless options, meaning do you have both? If so, can you plug your laptop so that it is using a ethernet connection rather than a wifi? Assume the answer is yes. Step A. Go to system > Administration>Hardware Drivers step A1. Ubuntu will search for available drivers. Step A2. Ubuntu will list Propriatary Drivers that are needed to make your laptop work properly. Step B. Double click Driver, activate and install I believe. You will need to have access to the internet however, and you will need to have updated your system and have the kernel-headers, kernel-devel, gcc updateed you can either use update manager, or sudo apt-get update install gcc kernel-header kernel-devel , If this fails, please post the model of toshiba, processor, and I will get you the answers.
    Link to this post 18 Jan 10

I currently use Ubuntu on a Dell AMD Athlon 2X64. I have ran linux on this laptop for about 3 years now, from Centos, Fedora 8, Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Generally Ubuntu with out a doubt has been the easiest to work.

Do you have wired / wireless options, meaning do you have both? If so, can you plug your laptop so that it is using a ethernet connection rather than a wifi? Assume the answer is yes.

Step A. Go to system > Administration>Hardware Drivers
    step A1. Ubuntu will search for available drivers.
    Step A2. Ubuntu will list Propriatary Drivers that are needed to make your laptop work properly.

Step B. Double click Driver, activate and install I believe.

You will need to have access to the internet however, and you will need to have updated your system and have the kernel-headers, kernel-devel, gcc updateed

you can either use update manager, or

sudo apt-get update install gcc kernel-header kernel-devel ,

If this fails, please post the model of toshiba, processor, and I will get you the answers.

• scottco229
    RE: ATI or NVIDIA?
    I have a Dell 1501 Laptop, with an ATI IPG Xpress 1150, and it doesn't play well with most distro's. I can only install Centos and Ubuntu so far. I managed Suzie for a bit, but then I got the gray multiple colored lined screen, and couldnt do anything. So now I run Ubuntu because if does run pretty good on it. I have tried Fedora, Mandriva, no luck...I would go with Nvidia based on my experiance with my laptop..
    Link to this post 07 Jan 10

I have a Dell 1501 Laptop, with an ATI IPG Xpress 1150, and it doesn't play well with most distro's. I can only install Centos and Ubuntu so far. I managed Suzie for a bit, but then I got the gray multiple colored lined screen, and couldnt do anything. So now I run Ubuntu because if does run pretty good on it.

I have tried Fedora, Mandriva, no luck...I would go with Nvidia based on my experiance with my laptop..

• scottco229
    RE: Ubuntu --> Windows has little to worry about?
    I disagree..... 1. Ubuntu-- I have it installed on my Dell 1501 AMD Duel-Core 1900, it runs great, and it is reliable. I have used it for about 6 months, no crashes. Now I have tinkered with it and broke it...and did reinstall it, but i was by my doing...if I would leave well enough alone, it would be fine. 2. Centos- I have used this on the same laptop for over 2 years, it ran great, no issues...but I am much better with yum, then apt-get, so I can manage it. 3. My wife, my in-laws all have Linux based systems on their computers I built, and if my In-laws can handle linux, anybody can. BTW, in over 3 years in moving away from Windows, I have not had any issues with identity theft, hacking, etc....my home is completely windows free...now my children use a mac, I have a Mac at home for them and simplicity of learning one system that is used in thier school district. This being said, when the Mac dies, it will be Linux from here on out. I think Linux has a bright future, however there is a couple of issues that have not been solved. 1. major software companies working with Linux to make it compatible. 2. To many varieties, thus alot of energy disbursed over mutiple distros, rather than a few...I like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos, I tried Open Susie, I liked it but it didn't play well with my video card in the laptop, and I have not learned the command line terminology for Terminal in Susie to feel confident I could resolve the issue. This is a rambling message, but the message is clear, Linux needs to focus on the end user, and desktop experiance. It needs to get professors to teach classes at local colleges, Community - Ed programs. It needs to mainstream and show off the benefits, which is a safe, reliable, and secure computing experiance, that is for the most part free.
    Link to this post 05 Jan 10

I disagree.....

1. Ubuntu-- I have it installed on my Dell 1501 AMD Duel-Core 1900, it runs great, and it is reliable. I have used it for about 6 months, no crashes. Now I have tinkered with it and broke it...and did reinstall it, but i was by my doing...if I would leave well enough alone, it would be fine.

2. Centos- I have used this on the same laptop for over 2 years, it ran great, no issues...but I am much better with yum, then apt-get, so I can manage it.

3. My wife, my in-laws all have Linux based systems on their computers I built, and if my In-laws can handle linux, anybody can.

BTW, in over 3 years in moving away from Windows, I have not had any issues with identity theft, hacking, etc....my home is completely windows free...now my children use a mac, I have a Mac at home for them and simplicity of learning one system that is used in thier school district. This being said, when the Mac dies, it will be Linux from here on out.

I think Linux has a bright future, however there is a couple of issues that have not been solved.

1. major software companies working with Linux to make it compatible.
    2. To many varieties, thus alot of energy disbursed over mutiple distros, rather than a few...I like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos, I tried Open Susie, I liked it but it didn't play well with my video card in the laptop, and I have not learned the command line terminology for Terminal in Susie to feel confident I could resolve the issue.

This is a rambling message, but the message is clear, Linux needs to focus on the end user, and desktop experiance. It needs to get professors to teach classes at local colleges, Community - Ed programs. It needs to mainstream and show off the benefits, which is a safe, reliable, and secure computing experiance, that is for the most part free.

• scottco229
    Ubuntu and terminal
    hey all, I have typically only used Centos and Fedora, which is Red-Hat based. I am using Ubunu 9.1 right now and I like it. However when it comes time to compling and configuring or installing on a command line, I am not comfortable doing it. I know that there are alot of similar or shared commands between yum and apt-get, but I wanted something I could formally train on, and to test my knowledge. Any free online resources or virtual testing I can try? Sorry I am a newbie, but I want to learn so please help.\ Thanks,
    Link to this post 05 Jan 10

hey all,

I have typically only used Centos and Fedora, which is Red-Hat based. I am using Ubunu 9.1 right now and I like it. However when it comes time to compling and configuring or installing on a command line, I am not comfortable doing it. I know that there are alot of similar or shared commands between yum and apt-get, but I wanted something I could formally train on, and to test my knowledge. Any free online resources or virtual testing I can try?

Sorry I am a newbie, but I want to learn so please help.\

Thanks,

• scottco229
    RE: Netflix
    thanks, I will try this and let you know how it goes.
    Link to this post 04 Jan 10

thanks, I will try this and let you know how it goes.

• scottco229
    Netflix
    Hello, Is anyone aware of a program I can use so I can watch Netflix on Ubuntu, or Fedora 11, or Centos 5.4? I would like to watch movies on the go, or when the kids take over the TV... so far I have found nothing that will work. My skill level on Linux is average..Linux Admin 1 and Linux Admin 2. I think it is these little issues that is standing in the way of Linux from advancing in the Market place, the lack of product support from companies like Netflix, Blockbuster, Turbo-Tax..
    Link to this post 30 Dec 09

Hello,

Is anyone aware of a program I can use so I can watch Netflix on Ubuntu, or Fedora 11, or Centos 5.4?

I would like to watch movies on the go, or when the kids take over the TV... so far I have found nothing that will work. My skill level on Linux is average..Linux Admin 1 and Linux Admin 2.

I think it is these little issues that is standing in the way of Linux from advancing in the Market place, the lack of product support from companies like Netflix, Blockbuster, Turbo-Tax..

• scottco229
    RE: RHEL or CentOS?
    for what it is worth, I will speak as an end user of linux, I use Centos, and have never used RHEL. Primarily because in looking for the type of Linux I want to run, I have changed multiple times from Fedora, Open Suze, Centos, LinxMint, and I like the freedom of changing with out costing anything. This being stated I have contrinuted donated funds for the use of Centos. I have returned to Centos because it does install on my dell 1501, and I can easily configure my wireless card, and it works with the video card installed. Non of the others will work, I can't even get to command line, I get a gray streaked screen. I do however think that supporting RHEL is important because of what it means overall to the Linux community. I dont have a windows run computer in my house, I have 4 computers running different versions of Linux and 1 Mac for my kids..who will be running linux next year.
    Link to this post 21 Jul 09

for what it is worth, I will speak as an end user of linux, I use Centos, and have never used RHEL. Primarily because in looking for the type of Linux I want to run, I have changed multiple times from Fedora, Open Suze, Centos, LinxMint, and I like the freedom of changing with out costing anything. This being stated I have contrinuted donated funds for the use of Centos.

I have returned to Centos because it does install on my dell 1501, and I can easily configure my wireless card, and it works with the video card installed. Non of the others will work, I can't even get to command line, I get a gray streaked screen.

I do however think that supporting RHEL is important because of what it means overall to the Linux community. I dont have a windows run computer in my house, I have 4 computers running different versions of Linux and 1 Mac for my kids..who will be running linux next year.

• scottco229
    RE: RHEL / CentOS
    [quote][/quote Thank you RedHat...thank you...I love Centos, its a great distro.
    Link to this post 30 May 09

[quote][/quote

Thank you RedHat...thank you...I love Centos, its a great distro.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board