• Last Logged In: 13 Nov 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • suaiteach
    Suggested OS for ASUS tower
    Another older-ish system needs a good Linux distro, we've been going through a magazine and the internet and frankly, neither of us knows enough to make an educated choice. We would like to put it in a ready-made partition, allow dual-booting, and to NOT put it online. All support will come from other computers. We'd prefer an older, stable, more or less bug-free distro, and we're leaning heavily towards Debian, Sabayon, PC Linux OS, or even Haiku just for kicks. Also, we'd like them to be precompiled, for the sake of simplicity. Here are the specs: ASUS A7V motherboard Athelon 950 mHz processor 786 mb ram at 133 mHz 100 gb total in hard drive 20 gb boot ATA hard drive
    Link to this post 12 Nov 11

Another older-ish system needs a good Linux distro, we've been going through a magazine and the internet and frankly, neither of us knows enough to make an educated choice. We would like to put it in a ready-made partition, allow dual-booting, and to NOT put it online. All support will come from other computers. We'd prefer an older, stable, more or less bug-free distro, and we're leaning heavily towards Debian, Sabayon, PC Linux OS, or even Haiku just for kicks. Also, we'd like them to be precompiled, for the sake of simplicity.
    Here are the specs:
    ASUS A7V motherboard
    Athelon 950 mHz processor
    786 mb ram at 133 mHz
    100 gb total in hard drive
    20 gb boot ATA hard drive

• suaiteach
    RE: Suggested OS for Compaq Armada 1592 DMT, heavily trimmed down
    DSL sounds great, except the links to the downloads are mostly shot. Most of them are gone, the other two expect me to know how to compile. I've yet to figure that out on my system, and it'd really be much easier if there were an already compiled version hanging around somewhere. Would you mind posting a link to that? Also, there is a 128 mb ram chip that could be installed if the stupid machine would recognize it, though that may be a problem with the operating system and not actual hardware incompatibility. I prefer to use a GUI, having used Windows all my life the terminal's more than a little intimidating.

DSL sounds great, except the links to the downloads are mostly shot. Most of them are gone, the other two expect me to know how to compile. I've yet to figure that out on my system, and it'd really be much easier if there were an already compiled version hanging around somewhere. Would you mind posting a link to that?
    Also, there is a 128 mb ram chip that could be installed if the stupid machine would recognize it, though that may be a problem with the operating system and not actual hardware incompatibility. I prefer to use a GUI, having used Windows all my life the terminal's more than a little intimidating.

• suaiteach
    hardware architecture vs model-- downloadable distros
    Having a bit of trouble understanding the acronyms on the names of the distros available for Debian Linux. Trying to find an older distro for an older system, but can't really tell what the difference is between the links or their available software. Also, a reasonably reliable source is convinced that they refer to processor architecture and not to processor model, or even entire chipsets and motherboards. Could somebody please translate the acronyms into english? What exactly are they? What do they refer to? Here's the link: http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable And here are the acronyms: * amd64 * armel * kfreebsd-i386 * kfreebsd-amd64 * i386 * ia64 * mips * mipsel * powerpc * sparc * s390 * source * multi-arch

Having a bit of trouble understanding the acronyms on the names of the distros available for Debian Linux. Trying to find an older distro for an older system, but can't really tell what the difference is between the links or their available software. Also, a reasonably reliable source is convinced that they refer to processor architecture and not to processor model, or even entire chipsets and motherboards. Could somebody please translate the acronyms into english? What exactly are they? What do they refer to?
    Here's the link: http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable
    And here are the acronyms:
    * amd64
    * armel
    * kfreebsd-i386
    * kfreebsd-amd64
    * i386
    * ia64
    * mips
    * mipsel
    * powerpc
    * sparc
    * s390
    * source
    * multi-arch

• suaiteach
    RE: Suggested OS for Compaq Armada 1592 DMT, heavily trimmed down
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the Debian releases and see what happens. Found this: http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst and now wondering how useful that will be. I've only installed Ubuntu on one computer, and I opted to format the hard drive; the wizard it came with was very useful, but now I'm faced with partitioning this other hard drive and I'm not sure how user-friendly the distros provided on this page will be. Help!
    Link to this post 02 Nov 11

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the Debian releases and see what happens.

Found this: http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst and now wondering how useful that will be. I've only installed Ubuntu on one computer, and I opted to format the hard drive; the wizard it came with was very useful, but now I'm faced with partitioning this other hard drive and I'm not sure how user-friendly the distros provided on this page will be. Help!

• suaiteach
    Suggested OS for Compaq Armada 1592 DMT, heavily trimmed down
    Would like to turn an ancient laptop into a nice typewriter, without any other applications except office, and without being told to buy a new laptop. Here are the specs: Compaq Armada 1592 DMT Pentium 2 200mhz 32 mb RAM OS and applications must fit on 1.25 gb hard drive Would like either a Windows shell to run Microsoft Office 97, or a similar office suite Laptop is fully supported by towers, so all I need is suggestions on which distro to use and which packages to install, plus instructions on stripping extra applications out of the OS to leave just what I want.
    Link to this post 31 Oct 11

Would like to turn an ancient laptop into a nice typewriter, without any other applications except office, and without being told to buy a new laptop. Here are the specs:
    Compaq Armada 1592 DMT
    Pentium 2 200mhz
    32 mb RAM
    OS and applications must fit on 1.25 gb hard drive
    Would like either a Windows shell to run Microsoft Office 97, or a similar office suite
    Laptop is fully supported by towers, so all I need is suggestions on which distro to use and which packages to install, plus instructions on stripping extra applications out of the OS to leave just what I want.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board