• Last Logged In: 19 Nov 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • dollfacepersian
    on rootkits
    Hi, newbie here. I've been reading up on rootkits (via Google), but there's so much on detection and removal and hardly anything, if at all on how they get into a computer. So...how DO they get into a computer? Is it as easy as, say, clicking on a link, clicking on a link that leads to a pop-up ad, a pop-up ad somehow getting past your browser defenses, or accidentally going to a site marked as red by WOT - and you're still in danger even if you get out of suspicious sites quickly? I know viruses find it hard to survive in Linux, but is it different for rootkits? Say, once they enter, they can punch a hole straight into your root account? How much of a threat do they pose in the Linux community (are new rootkits being created every year, say? Or are they as rare as Linux viruses?)?
    Link to this post 19 Nov 11

Hi, newbie here. I've been reading up on rootkits (via Google), but there's so much on detection and removal and hardly anything, if at all on how they get into a computer. So...how DO they get into a computer? Is it as easy as, say, clicking on a link, clicking on a link that leads to a pop-up ad, a pop-up ad somehow getting past your browser defenses, or accidentally going to a site marked as red by WOT - and you're still in danger even if you get out of suspicious sites quickly? I know viruses find it hard to survive in Linux, but is it different for rootkits? Say, once they enter, they can punch a hole straight into your root account? How much of a threat do they pose in the Linux community (are new rootkits being created every year, say? Or are they as rare as Linux viruses?)?

• dollfacepersian
    RE: I'm considering taking the plunge...
    There's a quiz you can take on which distribution is the best for you based on your computer knowledge and preferences. http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ I'm a new user too, and my two cents: the plunge is definitely worth it. :)

There's a quiz you can take on which distribution is the best for you based on your computer knowledge and preferences. http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I'm a new user too, and my two cents: the plunge is definitely worth it. :)

• dollfacepersian
    RE: hello
    Oh yes, I'm enjoying it. :) Thanks for the warm welcome.

Oh yes, I'm enjoying it. :) Thanks for the warm welcome.

• dollfacepersian
    RE: Linux Mint and lost hard drive space
    Thanks!

Thanks!

• dollfacepersian
    Linux Mint and lost hard drive space
    Newbie here. I posted this in the Linux Mint and DBaN communities. Posted this here too because I just wanted to check all my bases. More information is better, right? I was wondering why Linux Mint 11 (is this a problem for other distros too?) seems to eat up so much space on hard drives, both internal and external - and if there is a way to access the missing space that doesn't involve wiping everything or a lot of tweaking short of taking everything apart. I'd installed Mint on a 320 GB hard drive (had my eeepc 1005HA stock 160 GB hard drive upgraded, along with the memory, if that's important), and found I only had around 270 GB of hard drive space left. And when I reformatted my 1 TB external hard drive (NTFS to ext3/4), I had only 850-70 GB left, more or less. I'd decided to DBaN the internal drive, but DBaN read the drive as a 298 GB one. I did a Quick Erase anyway, and when I booted to DBaN again to see if things were all right, the hard drive still read as 298 GB. (Is there something really wrong if even DBaN doesn't read the entire drive?) But when I reinstalled Mint, it was read as a 320 GB one again. By the way, I called the service center where I had my computer upgraded and they said that there were no problems with the hard drive, that the BIOS really did read all 320 GB of it.
    Link to this post 18 Nov 11

Newbie here. I posted this in the Linux Mint and DBaN communities. Posted this here too because I just wanted to check all my bases. More information is better, right?

I was wondering why Linux Mint 11 (is this a problem for other distros too?) seems to eat up so much space on hard drives, both internal and external - and if there is a way to access the missing space that doesn't involve wiping everything or a lot of tweaking short of taking everything apart.

I'd installed Mint on a 320 GB hard drive (had my eeepc 1005HA stock 160 GB hard drive upgraded, along with the memory, if that's important), and found I only had around 270 GB of hard drive space left. And when I reformatted my 1 TB external hard drive (NTFS to ext3/4), I had only 850-70 GB left, more or less. I'd decided to DBaN the internal drive, but DBaN read the drive as a 298 GB one. I did a Quick Erase anyway, and when I booted to DBaN again to see if things were all right, the hard drive still read as 298 GB. (Is there something really wrong if even DBaN doesn't read the entire drive?) But when I reinstalled Mint, it was read as a 320 GB one again.

By the way, I called the service center where I had my computer upgraded and they said that there were no problems with the hard drive, that the BIOS really did read all 320 GB of it.

• dollfacepersian
    hello
    Hi, new user here. I just installed Linux Mint 11 for less than a month (past 2 weeks?) and am discovering it one step at a time. Glad to find an alternative to Windows. :)
    Link to this post 18 Nov 11

Hi, new user here. I just installed Linux Mint 11 for less than a month (past 2 weeks?) and am discovering it one step at a time. Glad to find an alternative to Windows. :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board