• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 10 Jun

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Phoenix Jewel
    Inability to create Direct HAL device error (0x8876086) and ‘phantom’ Ubuntu bootup
    Hi Please forgive the length of this – I want to give as clear a picture as possible, in order to resolve the issues and get started with Ubuntu. It seems that solutions are not very readily available, but I am willing to be patient and keep on doing research as I really would like to experience using Ubuntu. I tried to install Ubuntu with Wubi and received the message An error occurred. No such file or directory. For more information, please see the log file. C;\users\****\appdata\local\temp\wubi-11.10-rev245.log This said (a): Ubuntu 11.10 installation error: Could not create DirectX HAL device (0x8876086) I then uninstalled the program, removed all remaining files and rebooted. On reboot I saw an option to use Ubuntu, but proceeded as normal with Windows 7. I checked that there were no left over items, created a system restore point and tried again to reinstall with Wubi Again, I received the same message. I tried to use System Restore rather than uninstall Ubuntu and noticed that the Recovery folder now stated: There is not enough space to restore the disk. I then did a Disk Cleanup – as a (novice’s) way of trying to see if the System Restore Recovery folder would have free space! – and rebooted The following message appeared: Windows Boot Manager Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software chance might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings and click "Next." 3. Click "repair your computer." The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. \cUbuntu\winboot\wubildr-mdr 0xc000000f Ubuntu now appeared twice. I choose Windows 7 and then uninstalled Ubuntu again – (having decided to sort out the System Restore Recovery folder mystery later on). On checking for remaining files I found that the file mentioned was still present on C drive. However, while looking for it, knowing I had 420Gb free space, I was alarmed to see the amount was now reduced to 402GB. Interesting, as the install for Wubi was allocated 18GB. Following another reboot which offered Windows 7 and 2 Ubuntu options, I am left with the following questions: What did I do wrong? What do I do about the Wubi installation error message (a)? How can I recover lost disk space? How do I remove the 2 Ubuntu options from bootup? If I chose to install by USB – could I use an 8GB one and still be able to add other documents, picture etc to it? In replying, please remember that I am a novice. Thank you Sharon
    Link to this post 18 Dec 11

Hi

Please forgive the length of this – I want to give as clear a picture as possible, in order to resolve the issues and get started with Ubuntu.

It seems that solutions are not very readily available, but I am willing to be patient and keep on doing research as I really would like to experience using Ubuntu.

I tried to install Ubuntu with Wubi and received the message

An error occurred.
    No such file or directory.
    For more information, please see the log file.
    C;\users\****\appdata\local\temp\wubi-11.10-rev245.log

This said (a):

Ubuntu 11.10 installation error: Could not create DirectX HAL device (0x8876086)

I then uninstalled the program, removed all remaining files and rebooted.

On reboot I saw an option to use Ubuntu, but proceeded as normal with Windows 7.
    I checked that there were no left over items, created a system restore point and tried again to reinstall with Wubi

Again, I received the same message.

I tried to use System Restore rather than uninstall Ubuntu and noticed that the Recovery folder now stated:

There is not enough space to restore the disk.

I then did a Disk Cleanup – as a (novice’s) way of trying to see if the System Restore Recovery folder would have free space! – and rebooted
    The following message appeared:

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software chance might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and click "Next."
    3. Click "repair your computer."

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
    \cUbuntu\winboot\wubildr-mdr
    0xc000000f

Ubuntu now appeared twice.

I choose Windows 7 and then uninstalled Ubuntu again – (having decided to sort out the System Restore Recovery folder mystery later on).

On checking for remaining files I found that the file mentioned was still present on C drive.
    However, while looking for it, knowing I had 420Gb free space, I was alarmed to see the amount was now reduced to 402GB.
    Interesting, as the install for Wubi was allocated 18GB.

Following another reboot which offered Windows 7 and 2 Ubuntu options, I am left with the following questions:

What did I do wrong?
    What do I do about the Wubi installation error message (a)?
    How can I recover lost disk space?
    How do I remove the 2 Ubuntu options from bootup?
    If I chose to install by USB – could I use an 8GB one and still be able to add other documents, picture etc to it?

In replying, please remember that I am a novice.

Thank you

Sharon

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board