• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 12 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • ajc123
    RE: Boot Windows 7 Virtually && Physically (dual boot)
    Sorry, I got that a little wrong ... VMWare presents a different hardware layer with "VMWare devices" to Windows (different disk drivers required etc) "VMWare tools" provides windows with the correct drivers to use the vmware devices - they wont work without "VMWare tools" being installed. For example, Windows will not recognise the disk at boot time because VMWare provides a disk type which XP does not have native support for (SATA I think, I forget)
    Link to this post 10 Jan 12

Sorry, I got that a little wrong ...

VMWare presents a different hardware layer with "VMWare devices" to Windows (different disk drivers required etc) "VMWare tools" provides windows with the correct drivers to use the vmware devices - they wont work without "VMWare tools" being installed.

For example, Windows will not recognise the disk at boot time because VMWare provides a disk type which XP does not have native support for (SATA I think, I forget)

• ajc123
    RE: Boot Windows 7 Virtually && Physically (dual boot)
    First off - I don't think it is possible - here is why. I have done this with XP: Setup: Dual boot laptop with a XP installation and a Linux installation. Boot into Linux, start vmware player, run the physical installation of XP as a VM. To achieve this, I had to setup a 2nd hardware profile within XP. The first hardware profile I named "Physical" - which is to be used when booting the laptop into XP The 2nd profile I named "virtual" - to be used when booting within vmware. This hardware profile has VMWare tools installed. VMWare tools presents a different hardware layer to Windows (different disk drivers required etc) - hence the requirement for 2 hardware profiles. It is my understanding that hardware profile support has been removed in Windows 7. The other major hindrance I had was the type of M$ licence - I forget which one worked in the end (Volume licence rings a bell) but most licence types will fail "Windows Genuine Advantage" if the hardware changes too much (which it does when running M$ XP on top of vmware) For these reasons, I keep XP on my laptop and happily boot Linux and run the XP physical installation as a VM. If anyone can find a way to avoid the 1 (2) issues I mention, please share :)
    Link to this post 10 Jan 12

First off - I don't think it is possible - here is why.

I have done this with XP:
    Setup:
    Dual boot laptop with a XP installation and a Linux installation.
    Boot into Linux, start vmware player, run the physical installation of XP as a VM.

To achieve this, I had to setup a 2nd hardware profile within XP.
    The first hardware profile I named "Physical" - which is to be used when booting the laptop into XP
    The 2nd profile I named "virtual" - to be used when booting within vmware. This hardware profile has VMWare tools installed.

VMWare tools presents a different hardware layer to Windows (different disk drivers required etc) - hence the requirement for 2 hardware profiles. It is my understanding that hardware profile support has been removed in Windows 7.

The other major hindrance I had was the type of M$ licence - I forget which one worked in the end (Volume licence rings a bell) but most licence types will fail "Windows Genuine Advantage" if the hardware changes too much (which it does when running M$ XP on top of vmware)

For these reasons, I keep XP on my laptop and happily boot Linux and run the XP physical installation as a VM.

If anyone can find a way to avoid the 1 (2) issues I mention, please share :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board