• Last Logged In: 19 Feb 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • StuStix
    RE: How to replace PC with Linux
    Thanks, I got Ubuntu onto my USB. I'm just about to restart. Fingers crossed!
    Link to this post 19 Feb 12

Thanks, I got Ubuntu onto my USB. I'm just about to restart. Fingers crossed!

• StuStix
    Thanks. I have just downloaded and installed CDburnerXP, and have absolutely no clue what to do now. If anyone could give me some instruction, that would be great. Thanks again, Stu.

Thanks. I have just downloaded and installed CDburnerXP, and have absolutely no clue what to do now. If anyone could give me some instruction, that would be great.
    Thanks again,
    Stu.

• StuStix
    Right, so I've finished downloading the appropriate Ubuntu Winrar File. What do I do now? To restate, I wish to fully replace Windows with Ubuntu and I have a USB. I don't care about losing data, there is nothing of value on this computer.

Right, so I've finished downloading the appropriate Ubuntu Winrar File. What do I do now? To restate, I wish to fully replace Windows with Ubuntu and I have a USB. I don't care about losing data, there is nothing of value on this computer.

• StuStix
    Thanks, I actually came to the Ubuntu conclusion myself, although I didn't know it was Linux based. I'm downloading it now, and hopefully it's easier to install then the nightmare I had with TinyMe.
    Link to this post 18 Feb 12

Thanks, I actually came to the Ubuntu conclusion myself, although I didn't know it was Linux based. I'm downloading it now, and hopefully it's easier to install then the nightmare I had with TinyMe.

• StuStix
    How to replace PC with Linux
    Hi there, I know I am probably asking a question that has been answered many times over, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and would quite like a simple explanation. My father and I decided that my little brother didn't really need XP for flash gaming and math homework, so we thought that a nice light-wight Linux OS would ease the terrible lag that this PC suffers. So, in my noobiness, I decided to go to the Linux website, download TinyMe, and see how things turned out. The result has been me realizing just how little I know about computers in general. I have been through various manuals, including partitioning, Dual-booting, liveCd'ing, formatting, etc etc. I just want to get rid of everything on this computer (No, it has nothing of value), and replace it with Linux. Could someone please clear all this up for me? If you could, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stu. PS: Intel Pentium(R) M Processor 1500Mhz 1024MB RAM DxDiag attached.
    Link to this post 18 Feb 12

Hi there,

I know I am probably asking a question that has been answered many times over, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and would quite like a simple explanation.
    My father and I decided that my little brother didn't really need XP for flash gaming and math homework, so we thought that a nice light-wight Linux OS would ease the terrible lag that this PC suffers. So, in my noobiness, I decided to go to the Linux website, download TinyMe, and see how things turned out. The result has been me realizing just how little I know about computers in general. I have been through various manuals, including partitioning, Dual-booting, liveCd'ing, formatting, etc etc. I just want to get rid of everything on this computer (No, it has nothing of value), and replace it with Linux. Could someone please clear all this up for me? If you could, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stu.

PS:
    Intel Pentium(R) M Processor 1500Mhz
    1024MB RAM
    DxDiag attached.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board