• Last Logged In: 09 Mar 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Roadtrash
    I need help installing apps
    I just downloaded a couple of things on my Windows system and transferred them via usb stick to my Mint 12 desktop. Now I am a total newbie and have no idea how to install them on the computer. I know very little about directories, paths or any of the other things that I'm sure I need to do this. What I downloaded are the following: gnome-ppp-0.3.23.tar.bz2 gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3_0.10.7.debian-1_i386 I'm not really sure that I have the right apps that I was after but I think I do. Anyway if someone out there can give me a step by step way of installing these in very simple terms it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Roadtrash
    Link to this post 09 Mar 12

I just downloaded a couple of things on my Windows system and transferred them via usb stick to my Mint 12 desktop. Now I am a total newbie and have no idea how to install them on the computer. I know very little about directories, paths or any of the other things that I'm sure I need to do this. What I downloaded are the following:

gnome-ppp-0.3.23.tar.bz2
    gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3_0.10.7.debian-1_i386

I'm not really sure that I have the right apps that I was after but I think I do. Anyway if someone out there can give me a step by step way of installing these in very simple terms it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Roadtrash

• Roadtrash
    RE: I've done something stupid
    There was nothing to delete, I hadn't installed, downloaded or made a document or a torrent that's what made it such a mystery. What I did today was just reinstall Mint 12 from the cd and started over. Kind of a drastic way to do it but lucky for me there wasn't much of anything that I had to save.
    Link to this post 09 Mar 12

There was nothing to delete, I hadn't installed, downloaded or made a document or a torrent that's what made it such a mystery. What I did today was just reinstall Mint 12 from the cd and started over. Kind of a drastic way to do it but lucky for me there wasn't much of anything that I had to save.

• Roadtrash
    I'm another Noobie to Linux
    I'm another of the many new people to Linux and I hope that I won't drive any of you crazy with my many questions. I've just installed Linux Mint 12 on a computer that the hard drive died on. I installed a new drive and installed the Mint 12 from a cd that I got out of a magazine and to say the least it is a limited version. I'm trying to get the thing online but am having problems with just about everything I do. I'm not very computer literate so that doesn't help much. Hopefully I'll get this thing online soon so I can download all the things that are missing right now. Anyway I have already asked several questions and I'm sure there will be a lot more before I'm done. I just hope you folks don't get tired of all the questions, and a lot of them will be stupid but I've got to learn. I don't have any friends that use Linux so I will be here a lot probably looking for help. Right now I'm having a problem getting used to all the terminology that you folks use it's so different from the Windows stuff. Bear with me and I'll someday be helping others get answers. Thanks for the help already recieved guys. Roadtrash
    Link to this post 07 Mar 12

I'm another of the many new people to Linux and I hope that I won't drive any of you crazy with my many questions. I've just installed Linux Mint 12 on a computer that the hard drive died on. I installed a new drive and installed the Mint 12 from a cd that I got out of a magazine and to say the least it is a limited version. I'm trying to get the thing online but am having problems with just about everything I do. I'm not very computer literate so that doesn't help much. Hopefully I'll get this thing online soon so I can download all the things that are missing right now.
    Anyway I have already asked several questions and I'm sure there will be a lot more before I'm done. I just hope you folks don't get tired of all the questions, and a lot of them will be stupid but I've got to learn. I don't have any friends that use Linux so I will be here a lot probably looking for help. Right now I'm having a problem getting used to all the terminology that you folks use it's so different from the Windows stuff. Bear with me and I'll someday be helping others get answers.

Thanks for the help already recieved guys. Roadtrash

• Roadtrash
    I've done something stupid
    Okay I've done something stupid and can't figure it out so someone please help me. When I try go to Documents I end up with a "Transmission" window and an error saying "couldn't add corrupt torrent." I don't understand because I haven't tried to add anything. Please help. Thanks

Okay I've done something stupid and can't figure it out so someone please help me. When I try go to Documents I end up with a "Transmission" window and an error saying "couldn't add corrupt torrent." I don't understand because I haven't tried to add anything. Please help.

Thanks

• Roadtrash
    N300 Wireless USB adapter
    Once again I have a question for you folks. I just got a N300 Wireless USB Adapter made by Netgear that I would like to use for wifi on my Linux Mint 12. The computer does not have a wifi card so this is the way I am trying to go. This adapter is designed for Windows or Mac but I was told that there would be drivers or something out there that I could download to make it work on my Mint 12. Could any of you tell me what I need and where to look for it? I am very much a noobie with Linux and in fact not very sharp with computers but I'm trying to learn so be easy with the tech talk. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Once again I have a question for you folks. I just got a N300 Wireless USB Adapter made by Netgear that I would like to use for wifi on my Linux Mint 12. The computer does not have a wifi card so this is the way I am trying to go. This adapter is designed for Windows or Mac but I was told that there would be drivers or something out there that I could download to make it work on my Mint 12. Could any of you tell me what I need and where to look for it? I am very much a noobie with Linux and in fact not very sharp with computers but I'm trying to learn so be easy with the tech talk. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys

• Roadtrash
    RE: Noobie needs wifi on pc
    Ok it seems I was wrong about having a wifi card. Looks like it's time to go to town and buy one. I'm not that sharp when it comes to computers I appreciate the help. Thanks guys
    Link to this post 05 Mar 12

Ok it seems I was wrong about having a wifi card. Looks like it's time to go to town and buy one. I'm not that sharp when it comes to computers I appreciate the help.
    Thanks guys

• Roadtrash
    RE: Noobie needs more help for music
    Marc you're right I just looked and it tells me I need gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. Where do I get these? As I said before I am not that sharp with computers and am a total Noobie to Linux. I really appreciate you folks helping.
    Link to this post 05 Mar 12

Marc you're right I just looked and it tells me I need gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. Where do I get these? As I said before I am not that sharp with computers and am a total Noobie to Linux. I really appreciate you folks helping.

• Roadtrash
    Noobie needs more help for music
    Hope you folks don't get tired of all my questions but I need to get set up to play music on Mint 12. It has Banshee installed and when I click on it it tells me that I need additional plugins installed. What do I need to download and can I get it here? I'm new to all this so be easy on the tech talk. Thanks
    Link to this post 04 Mar 12

Hope you folks don't get tired of all my questions but I need to get set up to play music on Mint 12. It has Banshee installed and when I click on it it tells me that I need additional plugins installed. What do I need to download and can I get it here? I'm new to all this so be easy on the tech talk. Thanks

• Roadtrash
    RE: Noobie needs wifi on pc
    This is what I came up with does it help? richard@richard-SX2803 ~ $ lspci 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 1 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIB (ICH10) LPC Interface Controller 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller 01:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire Controller richard@richard-SX2803 ~ $
    Link to this post 04 Mar 12

This is what I came up with does it help?
    richard@richard-SX2803 ~ $ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
    00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 1
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIB (ICH10) LPC Interface Controller
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller
    01:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire Controller
    richard@richard-SX2803 ~ $

• Roadtrash
    Noobie needs wifi on pc
    I just got Mint 12 installed on an old computer with a new hard drive that had no operating system on it. What I need now is a way to access the internet via wifi. Is there something that I need to download to do this or if not what are my options? In case you're wondering I am not that knowledgeable about computers so please use layman's terms and try and be patient with me. Let's face it I will probably have a thousand questions about a lot of things.
    Link to this post 03 Mar 12

I just got Mint 12 installed on an old computer with a new hard drive that had no operating system on it. What I need now is a way to access the internet via wifi. Is there something that I need to download to do this or if not what are my options? In case you're wondering I am not that knowledgeable about computers so please use layman's terms and try and be patient with me. Let's face it I will probably have a thousand questions about a lot of things.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board