• Last Logged In: 11 Apr 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jandersen
    RE: Sharing a GDI printer as Postscript
    I finally found the solution. It was quite bizarre - everything seemed to work as a charm: I connected the printer via UPS, found it immediately in CUPS, printed a test page, which was perfect. I then created a new printer in W7 - the system found it quickly, I installed a Postscript printer (Generic - Windows Colour Thingy), and printed a test page; the printer indicated an error. After much searching and looking in debug logs for Samba and CUPS, I finally discovered that if I commented out the raw filter setting in CUPS, it worked - I don't remember the exact file and I am not home, but it was in /etc/cups and something with "octet-stream" and "raw".
    Link to this post 11 Apr 12

I finally found the solution.

It was quite bizarre - everything seemed to work as a charm: I connected the printer via UPS, found it immediately in CUPS, printed a test page, which was perfect. I then created a new printer in W7 - the system found it quickly, I installed a Postscript printer (Generic - Windows Colour Thingy), and printed a test page; the printer indicated an error.

After much searching and looking in debug logs for Samba and CUPS, I finally discovered that if I commented out the raw filter setting in CUPS, it worked - I don't remember the exact file and I am not home, but it was in /etc/cups and something with "octet-stream" and "raw".

• jandersen
    No, W7 does NOT have support for this printer, which is why I try to find another solution. I have tried to force W7 to treat the printer I have configured on the Linux system as a Postscript printer, but it still doesn't work. There is no longer any "Generic Postscript", but one should be able to use, eg an HP Postscript printer driver to produce the right sort of output. Do you know, would the Ghostscript filter expect the input to be Postscript for a printer like this (I use a filter called 'GDI' or something)?
    Link to this post 05 Mar 12

No, W7 does NOT have support for this printer, which is why I try to find another solution. I have tried to force W7 to treat the printer I have configured on the Linux system as a Postscript printer, but it still doesn't work. There is no longer any "Generic Postscript", but one should be able to use, eg an HP Postscript printer driver to produce the right sort of output.

Do you know, would the Ghostscript filter expect the input to be Postscript for a printer like this (I use a filter called 'GDI' or something)?

• jandersen
    Well, I might buy a new printer, but this is A Challenge! Besides, it is a really nice printer, and knowing Linux, I feel strongly that this ought to be possible. The problem we have is that W7 has no driver for this particular printer - even though I can share it from Linux, Windows still sees it as a Lexmark E210. The printer works fine from Linux, so if I could put a layer between that could translate Postscript to whatever the printdriver in Linux expects, it should be OK.
    Link to this post 05 Mar 12

Well, I might buy a new printer, but this is A Challenge! Besides, it is a really nice printer, and knowing Linux, I feel strongly that this ought to be possible.

The problem we have is that W7 has no driver for this particular printer - even though I can share it from Linux, Windows still sees it as a Lexmark E210. The printer works fine from Linux, so if I could put a layer between that could translate Postscript to whatever the printdriver in Linux expects, it should be OK.

• jandersen
    Sharing a GDI printer as Postscript
    I have a Lexmark E210 printer - one of the "Windows only" printers, but a fairly OK printer as such, although it is now a "Windows no-longer" printer, since Windows 7 has no driver. Linux does, of course, and it work fine under Linux, but my wife feels she must use Windows 7, so what can a man do? This is what: I have an old laptop that I have installed Debian on (no desktop), I have set the printer up in CUPS and shared it via Samba, and it is visible from Windows - the problem is that it is visible as a Lexmark E210 and Windows comes back, saying "What is that? I don't know anything". However, I feel that it should be possible to set it up in CUPS so that it will accept Postscript input (through Ghostscript) - then I can tell Windows that this is a generic Postscript printer and everything will be fine; but how do I do that?
    Link to this post 01 Mar 12

I have a Lexmark E210 printer - one of the "Windows only" printers, but a fairly OK printer as such, although it is now a "Windows no-longer" printer, since Windows 7 has no driver. Linux does, of course, and it work fine under Linux, but my wife feels she must use Windows 7, so what can a man do?

This is what: I have an old laptop that I have installed Debian on (no desktop), I have set the printer up in CUPS and shared it via Samba, and it is visible from Windows - the problem is that it is visible as a Lexmark E210 and Windows comes back, saying "What is that? I don't know anything".

However, I feel that it should be possible to set it up in CUPS so that it will accept Postscript input (through Ghostscript) - then I can tell Windows that this is a generic Postscript printer and everything will be fine; but how do I do that?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board